Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android

Comments

• Reply 121 of 291
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

A year before Apple went to Xerox they started working on a powerful graphics engine (later became known as QuickDraw). The idea to use that engine to create a graphical user interface was inspired by Xerox. Not the "entire OS". Not only that, Apple paid to talk with Xerox's engineers, and made it clear that they were going to make a consumer product based on those ideas. And not only that, hired a few of the original engineers from Xerox. At the time Xerox was not interested in a consumer computer, but targeted the enterprise... they wanted to create a paperless office. Furthermore, Xerox DID sue Apple.

Yeah, and the judge dismissed the case against Apple.
  • Reply 122 of 291
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Actually, Steve screwed up by allowing Eric $_h_it onto the board of directors without having himself on Google's board of directors during the same time period.

I believe Schmidt joined Apple's board only after Apple had made the decision to go full speed on the iPhone and after Google had responded by buying Android. Schmidt was properly excluded from board meetings that involved iPhone development. While Schmidt knew Apple was developing a mobile phone, Apple seems to have done an excellent job of keeping iPhone specifics secret until the January 2007 keynote.
  • Reply 123 of 291
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Despite the fact that you are clearly here to provoke and infuriate, I have a question for you regarding Steve's paternity shortcomings:

Do you have ANY information as to WHY he refused (if he did) to assume paternity of that child? Any at all? Or are you just playing judge and jury? Like the perfect Dad you are?

I threw the term son out there but it was actually a daughter, Google it. Regardless, ANY reason WHY is despicable, you do not get a reason, there are no reasons, dis-own your own blood throughout their child hood is a disgrace, be a millionaire and force her mother to go on welfare, really???? Go into court, lie and claim sterility, under oath is sickening. Sad sad sad. Design some cool gadgets does not get you a free pass. Reconciling years later does not either. It speaks volumes of the kind of person he was.
  • Reply 124 of 291
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can people just stop with this bullshit? All these assholes just want a few seconds in the spotlight leeching off the SJ name and trying to convince people THEY know what he meant. The guy is dead, leave him alone with his words and stop trying to fucking reinterpret them to your own benefit.

But Google owns YouTube which lets any a$$wipe post illegal and amateur content. Personally, I think Google is run by a bunch of rich, ego-based childish mentality that is more interested in "everything for free", an awfully designed web site, really uninspiring presentations while they sell ads. I saw a Powerpoint presentation they gave when they were making some big announcement and I thought i was going to fall asleep. just real boring presentations while they showed some really cheap clone laptop with some God awful operating system with basic functionality. Even Chrome is just a really bad GUI.
  • Reply 125 of 291
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    I make a simple post about a guy living in his parent's basement and the mods are all over it.

On the other hand some twit can come on here and disparage Steve Job's death in several posts and the mods just let it continue.

I'd like to think that the majority of the members would find disparaging Steve's death is at least on the same level as saying some guy lives in his parent's basement, and deserves some reprimand.

... and at the very least very very off topic for a number of posts.

... but apparently the mods think not.

Mod fail, imho.
  • Reply 126 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Wow, joined just to comment on my posts. I would venture to guess his son would disagree with you.

Yeah that's how absurd and rude it was. Prompted me to join. Who are you even talking about, SJ's son? And what qualifies you to make such claims and even have an opinion on his family dynamics?
  • Reply 127 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Unless Isaacson can show what exactly is copied verbatim by Android, he is full of shit.

Let me get this straight, in order for Isaacson's comment about how Jobs expressed his feeling about Android to be true Isaacson must became a HW designer, SW developer, a patent lawyer and whatever other expertise is neccesary just to prove Jobs made such a statement to him, despite knowing that Jobs has made such a statement to the world? Brilliant logic¡
  • Reply 128 of 291
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Apple's entire original OS was "inspired" by Xerox's UI- everyone knows that. But you don't see Xerox suing Apple today.

Exsqueeze me? Apple bought the technology from Xerox... and by the way, took it much farther than Xerox ever could. At least half of the user interface in the original Mac was originally developed by Apple, not to mention Apple's innovation in hardware and applications.

Apple's problem with the Mac was that it didn't (and possibly couldn't under the laws at the time) protect the Mac UI from being copied.

25 years later, Jobs made sure history would not repeat itself with the iPhone/iOS, by filing over 200 patents on it just by January 2007. For some reason, the dweebs and dweeb-ettes at Google think that doesn't matter, possibly because Google doesn't sell Android devices itself but only aids and abets the infringement committed by companies that do (like Motorola Mobility, which Google is working to acquire ).
  • Reply 129 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

At least I am around to set that example, not dodging my responsibilities.

Setting a bad example is dodging your responsibilities. But it's ok when you do it I guess.
  • Reply 130 of 291
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I make a simple post about a guy living in his parent's basement and the mods are all over it.

On the other hand some twit can come on here and disparage Steve Job's death in several posts and the mods just let it continue.

I'd like to think that the majority of the members would find disparaging Steve's death is at least on the same level as saying some guy lives in his parent's basement, and deserves some reprimand.

... and at the very least very very off topic for a number of posts.

... but apparently the mods think not.

Mod fail, imho.

The big question is why MOD let this nobody, admitted by himself: "I live, he dies", spamming forum. What do they think we can learn from this sad guy?
  • Reply 131 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

so they lucked out, IMO Tim Cook has "bigger fish to fry".

He'll eventually do what Steve would have done about Android had he lived long enough to execute.

But in his own, quiet assassin way, full of logistics, precision and finishing touches that Steve never would have thought of.

And when all is said and done, we'll say: "That's why Steve chose him of all the stars in the Apple galaxy"
  • Reply 132 of 291
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Duplicated.
  • Reply 133 of 291
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Let me get this straight, in order for Isaacson's comment about how Jobs expressed his feeling about Android to be true Isaacson must became a HW designer, SW developer, a patent lawyer and whatever other expertise is neccesary just to prove Jobs made such a statement to him, despite knowing that Jobs has made such a statement to the world? Brilliant logic¡

I looks form the text I quoted below that these words were Isaacson's own opinion, rather than a quote from Jobs. Even if Jobs said that, it's not unlikely he said it to keep on the show as Page suggested. The fact that so many are offended by this idea proves how efficient creating an enemy is. It doesn't quite work to say, "We've got a respectable competition; they have some ideas of their own and they borrow some from us and others, it will be difficult to remain unique, so we'll have to compete on features and price..."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's almost copied verbatim by Android," Isaacson said. "And they license it around promiscuously. And then Android starts surpassing Apple in market share, and this totally infuriated him. It wasn't a matter of money. He said, 'You can't pay me off, I'm here to destroy you.'"

• Reply 134 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... I don't think Tim Cook is failing at all. Last September I commented on here that I wondered what Tim Cook really felt about these lawsuits. If Isaacson is right then we can see that Tim would rather just end this lawsuit chapter at Apple (not that there won't be others) and move forward with a new Apple.

In my opinion, Steve's vision should have stayed in the lab with Ive. The idea of trying to destroy Android is just stupid. Go the same route as Microsoft, get as many $$$ as you can from licensing fees and put that money into developing projects that will destroy Android on the sales playing field.

Steve was not right about everything.

If you have no interest in protecting your IP then you shouldn't bother with patents (trademarks or copyrights). Just open source everything and let all your patent lawyers go. But that simply isn't how it works.

Apple and Jobs knew this would happen. It's happened before and it'll happen again. When you create something that changes the world there are going to be copycats... it's why we have all these legal protections in place. They might not have known to the extent Google, Samsung, et al. would blatantly rip off their IP, but that's the game, and they knew that the path to success they created would make it easier for others to mimic their efforts without all the R&D.

Think about how the clovis point changed the world. The technology was rapidly adopted as new people came across the new, and dramatically better style of blade. It's not as easy to make as previous points but it was vastly superior that for those that were introduced to it it became the only viable option. The iPhone did that to the smartphone world in HW, SW, ecosystem, services, and usability. Remember how the physical keyboard was required for anything other than a toy?

Samsung took a huge gamble with their blatantly copying and as a result they are the most profitable vendor using Android. Does that mean others should have stolen from Apple? It sure seems like it based on their inability to turn a profit. Will Samsung be forced to pay a huge fine? I think that is likely, but will they be better off than they would have been without using Apple's IP to get products on the market? I think that is also likely.

We can talk of ethics but in business that comes down to one thing: cost. Within the cost of being unethical there are two primary considerations. One, how a court or out-of-court settlement might affect your ability to profit from the theft. (The legal fees are pocket change to corporations so that isn't even a consideration.) Two, how the public might view your brand after it knows or your unethical actions. To wit, could it inhibit your long term ability to selll to customers?

When you're the underdog you have little to lose (or potentially nothing) and a lot to gain. Right or wrong, isn't even a factor here, it is about the ends justifying the means.
  • Reply 135 of 291
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What the hell is the deal with these disgusting Fandroid trolls?

They should immediately be banned, in my humble opinion. I'm not a mod of course, so that's just my personal view.

I don't come to Appleinsider to read lame, tasteless, immature jokes about a dead Steve Jobs, and I refuse to participate in the same thread where human vermin is also allowed to post. That's all that I have to say about this topic.
  • Reply 136 of 291
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Unless Isaacson can show what exactly is copied verbatim by Android, he is full of shit.

I think its hilarious how people act like there have been touch screen cell phones for decades, apps on phones, multi-touch, etc.

Frankly, I think you're full of shit. You're a dishonest person who is supporting theft, for your own motivation.

Casual support for evil, as you do here, is exactly why the world is not a much better place.
  • Reply 137 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Setting a bad example is dodging your responsibilities. But it's ok when you do it I guess.

Hmmm, denying paternity -vs- parenting style choice? Yeah, they compare /s

I teach my kids to call a spade a spade, honesty goes along way. Or I guess by your rational I could just deny they are mine, that would be better.
  • Reply 138 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't come to Appleinsider to read lame, tasteless, immature jokes about a dead Steve Jobs, and I refuse to participate in the same thread where human vermin is also allowed to post.

But yet you participated. I wish they made a thumbs down emoticon,you earned it.

I thought middle school let out at 4??????
  • Reply 139 of 291
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    [QUOTE=LuxoM3;2089370]Come on guys - step away from the Kool-aid stand...[quote]

I see, since you have no arguments on the point, you go for the personal attack. The sad thing is, unthinking PC weenies have been making this accusation for decades, whenever someone calls them on their apple bashing.

Quote:

Apple's entire original OS was "inspired" by Xerox's UI- everyone knows that.

"Everyone knows that" is code for "all us apple bashers, completely ignorant of history, refuse to admit the truth".

This is, in short, a flat out lie. In fact, you know its a lie, which is why you said "everyone knows that".... if it weren't a lie, it would stand on its own. You started off defensive.

Quote:

But you don't see Xerox suing Apple today.

Xerox, despite giving a license agreement to Apple, already sued Apple. So your ignorance off history bites you in the ass again.

Quote:

The "widget" interface, though used by Apple, is pretty much everywhere now - even without Google.

So, its ok to steal something if you spread it around, right?

Reality: Android is a blatant ripoff of iOS. Look to microsoft for an example of an innovative UI for a phone.

Google cheated because they lack the ..... capacity... to do the right thing.

Now they will pay for it, as they deserve.
  • Reply 140 of 291
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

I think its hilarious how people act like there have been touch screen cell phones for decades, apps on phones, multi-touch, etc.

There have been touch screen cell phones, apps on phones, and multitouch for decades. Do some reading if you were born too late to have seen any of this.

Quote:

Frankly, I think you're full of shit. You're a dishonest person who is supporting theft, for your own motivation.

Casual support for evil, as you do here, is exactly why the world is not a much better place.

Frankly, I don't care what the average dimwit thinks based on some rants on the internet.