Google rumored to launch sub-$250 7-inch tablet in July

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Google has reportedly delayed the launch of its forthcoming 7-inch tablet in an effort to lower its price to better compete with Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire.

The first Google-branded tablet is now expected to debut in July, according to The Verge, which will allow the search company to cut costs and sell the device for even less money. Google's original plans were to allegedly sell the device for about $249.

Though the tablet will be the first official Google-branded device in that category, the company will reportedly partner with Asustek to build the device with a 7-inch touchscreen. In its current form, it is said to feature an Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor and run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

But the $249 price of the current model is higher than the 7-inch , which is believed to be the primary competitor of Google's forthcoming device. Though the Kindle Fire runs Google's Android operating system, it is a heavily modified version of the software tailored to sell content direct from Amazon.com.

Google's apparent push to release an inexpensive 7-inch tablet also come as rumors persist that Apple is toying with the idea of releasing a smaller 7.85-inch iPad. Currently the iPad carries a 9.7-inch screen size, and pricing starts at $399 for the 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only iPad 2.

Apple is said to have a 7.85-inch model in its test labs with a 1,024-by-768-pixel display. By utilizing the same resolution and aspect ratio as the iPad 2 and first-generation iPad, such a device would allow developers' applications to be compatible without any modifications.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

to better compete with Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire.

That would be a pretty stupid goal. The Fire is designed (and marketed) to be an effective conduit to Amazon's store and nothing else. Google can't compete there.
  • Reply 2 of 121
    therbotherbo Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

That would be a pretty stupid goal. The Fire is designed (and marketed) to be an effective conduit to Amazon's store and nothing else. Google can't compete there.

Amazon don't even sell the Kindle outside of the US, so theres no decent tablets apart from the iPad, so a Google Tablet would be a instant hit.
  • Reply 3 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Agreed. I don't see this as targeting the Fire for the same reasons you mention. Instead I think it's hoped to jump-start Android-based tablet sales in general. Going by previous joint projects between Google and Samsung and Moto, this new one is probably just Google working with ASUS showing how they suggest it be approached while showcasing "pure" Android features. Really just another of the Nexus-type projects IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 121
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    I know they are trying to keep it cheap (and I might buy one for $250) but I'm sick of the all fanboy hype around the Tegra 3 chip being quad-core. The new DUAL-CORE 28nm chips that use newer ARM architectures from Samsung, Qualcomm, TI, etc wipe the floor with Tegra 3, and its GPU is not great either.
  • Reply 5 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I already have two iPads. I guess I'm that I'm not their target customer, which is somebody who's looking for a tiny, shitty, inferior performing tablet, running the worst mobile OS in the universe.
  • Reply 6 of 121
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    so what's the pixel density of this thing? Seems pretty high. (I am referring to apple's smaller ipad in the works.) I am sure btw apple isn't simply toying with the idea, I am quite sure they will release a smaller ipad. I hope they don't cripple it in storage though.
  • Reply 7 of 121
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    They can sell a lot of units at the $199 price point. Good for them. But, if as reported, Amazon sells their Kindle at a loss, does Google really expect to sell theirs at a profit? Volume unit sales mean nothing if they sell every unit at a loss. And, if their goal is to drive customers from the iPad, well, there are anti-trust laws about such predatory pricing strategies. Good luck with that Larry. Your business strategies are increasingly under fire.

Question: I wonder how secure (from Google's prying eyes) your personal information and browsing habits, etc., will be on a Tablet Google sells at a loss? After all, their primary business is selling information. Particularly your information to their customers.
  • Reply 8 of 121
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I already have two iPads. I guess I'm that I'm not their target customer, which is somebody who's looking for a tiny, shitty, inferior performing tablet, running the worst mobile OS in the universe.

Biased much?
  • Reply 9 of 121
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Could be nice, if developers release mass numbers of truly high-quality, tablet-optimized apps, as exist for iPad but not (yet?) for Android.

Also if Android gains a full backup/clone system so you don’t lose much of your customizations and app data when moving from one device to another or getting a warranty swap!

And if Android gains timely software updates.
  • Reply 10 of 121
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    /careface
  • Reply 11 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Biased much?

Who me, biased?

I just happen to think that Android is a steaming pile of crap, that's all.
  • Reply 12 of 121
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Believe me ....

It won't sell, no one'll care & that'll be that ....

Besides, this iPad 3 debacle's gonna sour people to the idea of tablets, anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 121
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I don't understand why consumer electronics companies think beginning with an inexpensive device with inferior design and performance is a good strategy. Once an inferior device is delivered, many consumers will seriously consider whether or not the company can deliver a premium experience; the company will have effectively locked themselves out of the premium market.
  • Reply 14 of 121
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Now, this is entertaining. Google is now competing with their vendors. Except, Amazon is not a vendor, are they? Amazon took the guts of the OS and did their own thing. The Kindle is not an Android tablet, though in surveys, I believe it is counted as an Android tablet when trying to make the iPad numbers look smaller.

Also, I hear that other vendors are going to start doing the same thing as Amazon. Google will be competing with all its faithful vendors.

On another note, do we know if the Fire has actually made any money? We know the hardware is sold at a loss. At what point does Amazon start making money. Will Google sell at a loss, or just build something super Janky?
  • Reply 15 of 121
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Believe me ....

It won't sell, no one'll care & that'll be that ....

Besides, this iPad 3 debacle's gonna sour people to the idea of tablets, anyway.

I understand what you mean.

The Retina Display with near perfect Color Gamut, 4G LTE, 5-megapixel iSight camera (with an ƒ/2.4 aperture and a five-element lens and hybrid infrared filter), dictation, over 200,000 apps and 10 hour battery life is clearly designed to discourage people from purchasing three million iPads the first weekend.
  • Reply 16 of 121
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I understand what you mean.

The Retina Display with near perfect Color Gamut, 4G LTE, 5-megapixel iSight camera (with an ?/2.4 aperture and a five-element lens and hybrid infrared filter), dictation, over 200,000 apps and 10 hour battery life is clearly designed to discourage people from purchasing three million iPads the first weekend.

At the same time, it's an awfully expensive device for the majority of consumers who are simply using tablets as a portal to the web.

It's the same reason why Apple continues to sell older models of the iPad, whereas they discontinue their computers when they release new hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

They can sell a lot of units at the $199 price point. Good for them. But, if as reported, Amazon sells their Kindle at a loss, does Google really expect to sell theirs at a profit? Volume unit sales mean nothing if they sell every unit at a loss. And, if their goal is to drive customers from the iPad, well, there are anti-trust laws about such predatory pricing strategies. Good luck with that Larry. Your business strategies are increasingly under fire.

Question: I wonder how secure (from Google's prying eyes) your personal information and browsing habits, etc., will be on a Tablet Google sells at a loss? After all, their primary business is selling information. Particularly your information to their customers.

Your browsing habits won't be any more safe from prying eyes than they are now with every other tablet and smartphone. Everyone wants to know who you are, where you are and your interests. There's no exceptions, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and developer's included. Note: Google doesn't sell your information. They offer their expertise in targeting ads to you or at least consumers that fit a profile like yours, based on what they know about your searches, interests and the like. A huge difference since your personal details don't leave their control.

As for selling at a profit, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell close to break even, but not a loss. They aren't trying to mimic Amazon's market plan IMO.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I don't believe a Google-branded tablet is intended to be an overwhelming success anyway, nor intended to compete with any other specific tablet. I believe they want to showcase what's possible on an Android tablet, and what price points can be hit using their hardware build as an example. It's just like their use of Nexus smartphones. If the media doesn't pay attention and pump out articles and consumer's don't get the message then it will be a failure.
  • Reply 18 of 121
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Apple needs to come out with something with 7-inch screen soon, otherwise google will rapidly increase its tablet market share.
  • Reply 19 of 121
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    I'm still waiting for the announcement from Amazon that the Fire will no longer be available.
  • Reply 20 of 121
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple needs to come out with something with 7-inch screen soon, otherwise google will rapidly increase its tablet market share.

It's not necessarily the size of the tablet... it's the price.