Apple's Ivy Bridge-powered iMacs rumored to debut in June

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Another rumor has pointed toward a June launch for Apple's updated all-in-one desktop, the iMac, featuring Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors.

Original design manufacturer Quanta Computer and chassis supplier Foxconn Technology are expected to be key suppliers for the new iMacs, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News, via DigiTimes. The report issued Friday cited sources in Apple's upstream supply chain.

The latest report comes on the heels of a separate rumor issued Wednesday that also claimed Apple is planning to release new Ivy Bridge-powered iMacs in the coming months. That report claimed the new desktops would arrive in June or July, while Friday's latest support singled out June as the month for them to launch.

Both reports said that the new iMacs would feature Intel's Core i5 and Core i7 processors, based on the new Ivy Bridge architecture. Those chips are expected to launch later this month on April 29.

Friday's report also reiterated its previous claim that the next iMac will be thinner and feature anti-reflective glass displays. That would be a first for Apple, which has previously only offered anti-glare purchase options on its MacBook line of notebooks.

The iMac lineup was last updated in May of 2011, when Apple added high-definition FaceTime cameras as well as high-speed Thunderbolt ports. The current iMacs are powered by Intel's Sandy Bridge processors and AMD Radeon HD graphics.

Finally, DigiTimes also said that Apple is set to launch new MacBook Pro notebooks, which will also feature Ivy Bridge processors, at the end of the second quarter of calendar 2012, which concludes at the end of June.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I'm saddened to think anti-reflective displays may be further indication the Mac Pro has been killed.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm saddened to think anti-reflective displays may be further indication the Mac Pro has been killed.

Don't understand your logic.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Don't understand your logic.

Anti-reflective displays are desired by many professionals, who would opt for a Mac Pro over an iMac because of third party displays (and discontinued Apple displays) with anti-reflective surfaces.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    You might as well ask a crackhead bum on the street corner about the latest Apple news, because they wouldn't be any less accurate than Digitimes.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You might as well ask a crackhead bum on the street corner about the latest Apple news, because they wouldn't be any less accurate than Digitimes.

I'm confused, I though Digitimes was a crackhead bum on the street corner...
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

that also claimed Apple is planning to release new Ivy Bridge-powered iMacs in the coming months.

In other news, the sun is claimed to set again tonight.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Siri is currently unavailable for the past hour via wifi or/and cellular. Where are these articles?
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xtreme Artists View Post

Siri is currently unavailable for the past hour via wifi or/and cellular. Where are these articles?

App store for iPhone is also down...nice data center
  • Reply 9 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xtreme Artists View Post

Dictation on the new iPad is also down, so I guess we can safely assume that it's trying to connect to the same servers that SIRI uses.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Dictation on the new iPad is also down, so I guess we can safely assume that it's trying to connect to the same servers that SIRI uses.

Thanks for the update. Apple's data center is down, would be a safe assumption. I am not surprised when BrightHouse/RoadRunner lie about network status, but it would be nice if AppleInsider could remove mouth from teat and report actual news.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Anti-reflective ≠ matte.

Pros will always buy whatever panels they want, anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Yep. iMac is the new "Mac Pro" "professional" machine going forward.

iTV will be the new "iMac" "consumer" machine going forward.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Hoping "thinner" does NOT equal "optical drive gone"
  • Reply 14 of 76
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Friday's report also reiterated its previous claim that the next iMac will be thinner and feature anti-reflective glass displays. That would be a first for Apple, which has previously only offered anti-glare options on its MacBook line of notebooks.

It doesn't sound like it would be an anti-glare option though, rather just a way to cut the reflections. There's no way they would do the same as the laptops. It's fine leaving a 15" TN panel unprotected as it doesn't cost that much to replace. That's not the case for a 27" IPS panel. If they do go with anti-reflective treatment, I'd expect it will be a standard treatment of the glass like they apply to glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2w_Txj7Gg

It would be a very welcome feature to have on the iMac and resolution-independence would be great too so that you could scale up the UI. If they make the hard drive easy to replace on it, that would take away any serviceability problems.

Hopefully we'll see 4 x USB 3 ports and the removal of the optical drive. They should manage to slim it down a fair bit. I'd also like to see them move to 23-24" displays on the low-end instead of 21.5".
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

That's crazy. They've absolutely nothing to do with one another. And I'm not even going to comment on that other half.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cesco View Post

Hoping "thinner" does NOT equal "optical drive gone"

I'm hoping so.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    All iMacs had matte (anti-reflective) screens until the current aluminum chassis version came on the scene a few years back.

I have an original iMac (g3) and the first Intel iMac (white plastic) and both have matte screens.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It doesn't sound like it would be an anti-glare option though, rather just a way to cut the reflections. There's no way they would do the same as the laptops. It's fine leaving a 15" TN panel unprotected as it doesn't cost that much to replace. That's not the case for a 27" IPS panel. If they do go with anti-reflective treatment, I'd expect it will be a standard treatment of the glass like they apply to glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2w_Txj7Gg

It would be a very welcome feature to have on the iMac and resolution-independence would be great too so that you could scale up the UI. If they make the hard drive easy to replace on it, that would take away any serviceability problems.

Hopefully we'll see 4 x USB 3 ports and the removal of the optical drive. They should manage to slim it down a fair bit. I'd also like to see them move to 23-24" displays on the low-end instead of 21.5".

HiDPI screens would be nice. *Says optimistically.

Hmm. Could we imagine 'Air' like slimness on the iMac?

I'm surprised Apple don't have 24 inch low end iMac displays. It's quite a leap from 21 to 27 inch.

Perhaps take the 27 inch across the range to the £999 price point and just have one entry 21 incher as a cheaper model at £795. £999 is historically very steep for the entry iMac compared to how low the £695 price they got down to before the serious price hike around 2008.

As for the whole optical thing. *Somewhat bemused. So. Do creative pro's just back up on HDs now? That it? SD cards? Memory sticks? Magnetic tape?

I'd be quite happy putting stuff on SD cards. They're getting quite dense these days. Why can't we get software on SD cards? Is it a download only future? *Feels somewhat uncomfortable about that.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

There is absolutely no logical link between anti- reflective displays and a discontinuation or continuation of the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intensifi View Post

All iMacs had matte (anti-reflective) screens?

Matte ≠ anti-reflective, remember.

Quote:

I have an original iMac (g3) and the first Intel iMac (white plastic) and both have matte screens.

*eerrrrrrrrk* Put on the breaks. The first iMac wasn't matte. It wasn't even anti-reflective. I'm a little confused here.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yep. iMac is the new "Mac Pro" "professional" machine going forward.

Some might not agree.

But you may have a point. With an iScreen and an iPad you'd have consumer computing.

...and iMacs are at the stage where they're more than powerful enough to do most mainstream prosumer creative work. In fact, the iMacs invaded print work ages ago.

The 'Earth sim' and 'week long render' club might not like it. *looks at the sky. Who knows with Apple.

It's like they're becoming the ultimate 'Sony' of the 21st Century. All they need is the 'computer electronics tv' married into the Apple eco system and it's game over.

Still, in the absence of real news we can always count on hysteria in the meantime.

Lemon Bon Bon.