Informed speculation on the new PowerMacs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If they break the "GHz barrier" that's significant enough to get it out to the media.

It's not a barrier. Intel and AMD have smashed that barrier long ago. If anything Apple should keep it low key since "MHz doesn't matter" (but GHz does!).
  • Reply 62 of 116
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Glue Sniffer:

<strong>

As much as NMR and before it MTK was on the money, I cant remember Apple ever releasing anything on a Sunday.

I just hope that the performance increase this time is significant, and not only in MHz. I want real performance that is demonstrated in all the usual benchmarks. How they get there is up to them. If it takes buzzwords (DDR, HyperTransport etc) great, if not, great. But I can tell you that I will not purchase a new system sight unseen like I have my past two towers (DP533, DP800).</strong><hr></blockquote>

The article said 'Jan 20 or thereabouts' so why are you saying it's going to be a Sunday showcase?
  • Reply 63 of 116
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Well if you just look at what we have now and then make taht speculation upon the current facts, it really isn't a lot of speculation.

It's like a horoscope, always tells you such vague or general stuff that something is going to happen like that anyway, no matter what you do.

To caricade it a bit:

"Fish: You'll likely have some trouble getting up next Monday. However towards the end of the week, you'll feel better and will feel ready for soe adventure, but don't overdo it, you might regret it. Love might also bring interesting new aspects into your life starting Wednesday."

Translate that to Macs:

"We're most likely not going to see a speed decrease. There will most likely be higher specs on many components. Already announced third party products might make their appearance. Prices are unlikely to be 1000$ lower or 1000$ higher than the current ones."

Try a little more risk next time:9

G-News
  • Reply 64 of 116
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>The NMR report does not mention DDR or dual processers. These two items are just my wishes.

- Mark</strong><hr></blockquote>

moki mentioned DDR, and I'm combining that with the NMR report, and a few other things.

Dual GHz Apollos attached to DDR RAM would be pretty sweet. :cool: Hope it happens...
  • Reply 65 of 116
    MOSR just chimed in-

<a href="http://www.macosrumors.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macosrumors.com/</a>;
  • Reply 66 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

The article said 'Jan 20 or thereabouts' so why are you saying it's going to be a Sunday showcase?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, since I seem to have woken up a little earlier than you, I will let you off easy. The original text of the article was a tad unclear and was later clarified.

I don't think that means the early bird got the worm though.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>MOSR just chimed in-

<a href="http://www.macosrumors.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macosrumors.com/</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Who is shipping a 10,000 rpm 133 drive?

edit:

Party faux pas... lost the link.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Mac Glue Sniffer ]</p>
  • Reply 68 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Glue Sniffer:

<strong>

Well, since I seem to have woken up a little earlier than you, I will let you off easy. The original text of the article was a tad unclear and was later clarified.

I don't think that means the early bird got the worm though. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me off easy? lol Myabe they changed it after they read your post

[quote] Who is shipping a 10,000 rpm 133 drive? <hr></blockquote>

I hope Apple will be

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 69 of 116
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Okay, from all the informed speculation I've read on the new Power Macs...I'm confused. At this stage of the game, this is what I think we will see very shortly (next 10 days):

Standards:

* NVidia GeForce 3 across the board

* SuperDrive across all PowerMacs

Faster:

933 MHz G4 Apollo

512 MB 133 RAM

60 GB HD

$1,599

Fastest:

1.33 GHz G4 Apollo

512 MB 133 RAM

80 GB HD

$2,399

Ultimate:

Dual 1.13 GHz G4 Apollos

512 MB 133 RAM

100 GB HD

$2,899
  • Reply 70 of 116
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    seems MOSR is scraping the bottom of the barrel with that last update and just guessing. nothing substantial there and nothing that would lead you to believe a word they are saying.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave Hagan:

<strong>Okay, from all the informed speculation I've read on the new Power Macs...I'm confused. At this stage of the game, this is what I think we will see very shortly (next 10 days):

Standards:

* SuperDrive across all PowerMacs

Faster:

933 MHz G4 Apollo

512 MB 133 RAM

60 GB HD

$1,599

Fastest:

1.33 GHz G4 Apollo

512 MB 133 RAM

80 GB HD

$2,399

Ultimate:

Dual 1.13 GHz G4 Apollos

512 MB 133 RAM

100 GB HD

$2,899</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then you didn't read the above Naked Mole Rat article about the 1.4ghz G4s?
  • Reply 72 of 116
    m5884m5884 Posts: 69member
    Now lets think here... Why didn't apple go ahead and release the new PowerMacs at MWNY. There can only be two answers to this question. 1.They were not ready. or 2. They did not want to detract from the imac by releasing two products at once. If apple wanted to have a new PowerMac at MWNY but they were not ready I doubt another month will be enough to get them ready. In this case it would make sense for apple to tell us of an impending release. Obviously no one is going to buy the current PowerMacs anyway. If the second answer is correct then we will have to see bigger improvements than 1.1Ghz and no case redesign.

I am an optimist and therefore am betting on at least 1.4 Ghz G4. I think Steve knows that if he is to reclaim another 5% market share he is going to have to at least get up to AMD speeds. A 1.6Ghz would be best. If Moto can't cut it apple needs to find some other way.

Maybe Apple and AMD should get together r something. I don't know but it would seem like a good move.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: M5884 ]</p>
  • Reply 73 of 116
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    If the new imac is 100 Mhz FSB then the G4 is already clocking at 1.1 Ghz on the 133 Mhz FSB so maybe at least 1.2 Mhz Dual w/DDR will be the minimum, I hope this is the minimum!
  • Reply 74 of 116
    primprim Posts: 33member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave Hagan:

<strong>

Standards:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be pretty sad... it seems there is no more Geforce3 production.

Look at <a href="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1011012339"; target="_blank">GeForce3 production stopped</a>

I think we will see GeForce4 MX across the board. And GeForce4 Ti as a BTO option.

But you never know with Apple... they often use outdated GPUs in their *pro* towers (did you say "Rage 128" ?)
  • Reply 75 of 116
    According to that link the GeForce3 is still actively being produced by Nvidia.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>What do you think? Will this sufficiently please you?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The specs are better than the current specs (not that hard to do, no?), and seem mighty reasonable.

But it doesn't please me enough to open up my wallet, which is all Apple is interested in anyway
  • Reply 77 of 116
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>If the new imac is 100 Mhz FSB then the G4 is already clocking at 1.1 Ghz on the 133 Mhz FSB so maybe at least 1.2 Mhz Dual w/DDR will be the minimum, I hope this is the minimum!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nonsense, the two are completely unrelated. The core will have a maximum operating frequency, not a maximum clock multiplier.

Michael
  • Reply 78 of 116
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    As a matter of fact every revision HAS a maximum clock mulitplier, but then again it's not too hard to have a higher max multiplier on the next revision. Current G4s have 9x multipliers, allowing for 1.2GHz maximum speed. However, Apollo may well have 15x or even more multipliers. after all the P4 has 22x by now.

G-News
  • Reply 79 of 116
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>As a matter of fact every revision HAS a maximum clock mulitplier, but then again it's not too hard to have a higher max multiplier on the next revision. Current G4s have 9x multipliers, allowing for 1.2GHz maximum speed. However, Apollo may well have 15x or even more multipliers. after all the P4 has 22x by now.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

Current G4s have a maximum 16x clock multiplier.

Michael
  • Reply 80 of 116
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    When is the Superbowl?