Two more top execs exit RIM as company weighs options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Interesting. These statements almost guarantee RIM's death no matter what.

Maybe the Rockstar Consortium should consider since RIM is already a member?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

He might, if they any valuable patents, or Page might for the same

• Reply 22 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Alan Brenner and Alistair Mitchell.

My first reaction to this news was that neither of these 'gentlemen' fell within the category of women OR children.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Talk about rats leaving a sinking ship. These guys will probably be able to get new jobs in a flash. It's the regular employees that are going to be suffering when they're booted from their jobs.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    RIM found its Waterloo.

J.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    The question is, what is in it for Microsoft to partner with RIM? How will it keep RIM from flushing down the toilet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post

RIM is probably hoping Steve Ballmer will get out his chequebook, it is highly likely that they are already talking.

I imagine MS won't want to pay for the company but will just pay RIM to be a partner like Nokia, a lot cheaper and less risk, it will depend on how much value MS puts on RIMs existing relationships with business customers.

• Reply 26 of 40
    RIM had a good run but the party's over and it's time to close shop and move on. If the CEO was a product person (instead of a manager) they'd have a chance. Product oriented CEOs are rare and critical to a company's survival, as RIM is finding out. No doubt Apple knows this and is taking measures now to maintain its lead in creativity and innovation going forward in a post SJ world.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    There may be little chance RIM can survive as they are today into the future, but they're still a billion dollar company. The problem I see, even with the new ceo, is that they're hanging onto the past at a point where they should have a focused plan for the future. They do have a descent business in South America, Africa and the Middle East, but even in these places, technology continues to move forward - seemingly without RIM following.

And of course you have the boneheads on Wall Street and the even more incompetent people in DC who think BB's are still cutting edge and are hesitant to change. That's what has driven me crazy for the past few years - RIM was floundering and the writing was on the wall for them, but the Street seemed to ignore that and not only kept money flowing into RIM, but was not valuing Apple as it should have been. Obviously that's changed some in the past year, but that kind of fiscal incompetence by the Street speaks volumes about the real lack of understanding by the a lot of financial "geniuses".

I'm sure there is some value to RIM's IP, but even here they have things that others have worked around or created new and alternative tech to do what RIM thought was impossible. My bets, as I have said before, are on the fact that they won't make a release of the new 10 os or new phones this year and quite possibly even next year. They have nothing new, nothing novel to show and that will kill them even more if they release another product that doesn't come close to competing.

Just think how fast Samsung is releasing new Android handsets - not that I'm a fan, but it should be possible for a company like RIM to push out something new and novel at least once a year. I predict they'll keep losing market share and money for the next two years before they liquidate and if they're lucky become nothing more than an App on iOS and Android.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

RIM found its Waterloo.

J.

LOL. I almost feel bad for them. But then I remember how awesome the iPhone is and then I kinda don't.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

This makes one wonder...

Is there a graveyard for defunct CEOs or execs? I mean where do they go and happens to them?

• Reply 30 of 40
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomokoSuzuki View Post

Dead by end of this year (2012)

no they will not be... instead of a big fish in a little pond they will be a little fish in a little pond.

(the new iPad's dictation is amazing)

dictated from my new iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    It's sad what's happening to RIM. Sure, they could/should have foreseen this. But they're not the only company who was whiplashed into poor decisions by the iPhone.

Many, many people in Waterloo are dependent on this company. The industry needs more than two or three strong players. Wishing them anything short of a comeback is not just heartless, pointless but in fact counter-productive to our interests as consumers. But being short-sighted is why many people here are nickel-and-dime pundits and not real engineers.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

RIM will be dead within a year or two.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomokoSuzuki View Post

Dead by end of this year (2012)

Opinions not based on any understanding of facts about the company or the industry.

End of the year How dumb is that?

Very, very, very.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

no they will not be... instead of a big fish in a little pond they will be a little fish in a little pond.

(the new iPad's dictation is amazing)

dictated from my new iPad.

Little pond? Which little pond?

Big fish? They've not been a big fish for some time now.

I can't summon any love for the dictation mode myself. Nothing about the iPad. Just the idea of using it. I am fine talking to Siri. But the iPad ... not so much.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    As someone who predicted RIM's troubles (http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100726184437), I still think and hope a turnaround is possible. Many people sang the swan song for Apple too, lest we forget.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I sure hope they get their act together. We could use more variety of products in the market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

As someone who predicted RIM's troubles (http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100726184437), I still think and hope a turnaround is possible. Many people sang the swan song for Apple too, lest we forget.

• Reply 36 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    IP for sale, come one, come all, another Canadian company's IP is for sale
  • Reply 37 of 40
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

And of course you have the boneheads on Wall Street and the even more incompetent people in DC who think BB's are still cutting edge and are hesitant to change. That's what has driven me crazy for the past few years - RIM was floundering and the writing was on the wall for them, but the Street seemed to ignore that and not only kept money flowing into RIM, but was not valuing Apple as it should have been. Obviously that's changed some in the past year, but that kind of fiscal incompetence by the Street speaks volumes about the real lack of understanding by the a lot of financial "geniuses".

Are we reading the same stock symbol? RIMM's price nosedived in 2008 and has been dropping ever since, even in years when their sales went up. It seems like Wall Street realized that they were in trouble and has really given up in the last year or so.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. I almost feel bad for them. But then I remember how awesome the iPhone is and then I kinda don't.

Especially when you consider how awful the storm was. That ws supposed to be the answer to the iPhone!

I helped a friend get her contacts out of it a couple of years ago and the whole time I used that thing I was thinking, are these guys on crack? That thing had a touchscreen you were supposed to push down on.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

Are we reading the same stock symbol? RIMM's price nosedived in 2008 and has been dropping ever since, even in years when their sales went up. It seems like Wall Street realized that they were in trouble and has really given up in the last year or so.

I agree, the only one's who were hopeful of RIM return was RIM itself and maybe a few companies who seem to put all their faith in RIM secure email technology. Everyone else had written them off. The only reason it stock rebounded a few times was some stupid analysis trying to manipulate the stock in the short turn. The sure bet on RIM was to short them all the way down.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    You know what the stupidest part of all this is?

Just last year, RIM actually spent money buying up Nortel's losses from the Rockstar Consortium - in the hope that they could use those losses to reduce their Canadian Tax Liability.

The way things are going, they might not have to worry about taxes in the near future! They would be happy to have a situation where they are required to pay taxes!