Universal Pictures now available to re-download on Apple's iCloud

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

Movies from Universal Pictures purchased on iTunes can now be re-downloaded through the iCloud service, leaving just one major studio, Fox, that is not a part of iCloud.

Universal and Fox were initially absent from iCloud as a result of content deals with premium cable network HBO, though those issues were resolved last month. Universal Pictures films became available this weekend on iCloud, and users who have previously purchased the films from iTunes can re-download them at no cost.

While Universal's films are now available through iCloud, customers looking to re-download 20th Century Fox must still wait for that content, even though HBO was said last month to have reached an agreement. The Wall Street Journal said at the time that Fox expected to have its content on iCloud "within weeks," suggesting it may not be a much longer wait.

In March, Apple began offering users the ability to re-download movies that were previously purchased on iTunes via its iCloud service. The service even applies to the iTunes Digital Copy format, which gives users the ability to download a digital version of a film when they buy a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

The iTunes in the Cloud functionality in iCloud originally only applied to music, books and applications purchased through the iTunes Store. Now, users can access both movies and TV shows as well, from participating studios.

In addition, television content is available in high-definition 1080p format, allowing it to be natively displayed on the new Apple TV. Previously, content maxed out at 720p, which was the highest resolution output of the previous generation Apple TV.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Years ago, it seemed that CDs and DVDs replaced audiotapes and VHS tapes overnight. I suspect we are about to see another paradigm shift right about....now!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The more the merrier. At least digital downloads of music and movies fill a gap and are something consumers seem to want, despite the price and despite no resale value to the consumer. DVDs and BDs will be around for a while, but so will digital-only.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Years ago, it seemed that CDs and DVDs replaced audiotapes and VHS tapes overnight. I suspect we are about to see another paradigm shift right about....now!

Not going to happen unless we see some significant changes on iTunes movie content... The ability to redownload content isn't it...

Movies on the iTunes store are way overpriced, lack the ability to share, and are often missing the bonus features... DVDs/BluRay are still the best way to go...
  • Reply 4 of 48
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Memory plays tricks on us. I remember the long flirtation with those big-assed laser-discs, watching them languish in their small region at the Blockbusters, then watching the slow march of VHS shelves converting over to DVD shelves and somewhere along the way the laser-disc disappearing. And now, Blu-Ray. I've had Blu-Rays ever since the PS3 first came out. How many years was that? The download paradigm has been going on for some time. Nothing this big happens overnight. It's just that afterwards we sometimes act like it did.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Not going to happen unless we see some significant changes on iTunes movie content... The ability to redownload content isn't it...

Movies on the iTunes store are way overpriced, lack the ability to share, and are often missing the bonus features... DVDs/BluRay are still the best way to go...

I don't find iTunes movies to be overpriced. I buy less DVDs these days and increasingly download more iTune movies and TV programmes. However, there is still a much wider selection of DVDs.

You are right about the bonus features. I do miss them on downloads. I wonder why they aren't included? One day maybe?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Apple needs to get with program and offer a flat rate monthly or yearly like Netflix, Amazon and Sony does- unlimited access to as much as u want. And license this iTunes service out finally across other platforms. This rental on iTunes piece by piece model only on Apple hardware is both ridiculous and antiquated as is the closed wall of availability. Cook will fix this misguided iTunes model we now have. There is no reason why iTunes shouldn't be on a Xbox or Sony Bluray player. And their streaming services are great - Amazon and Sony that is. Netflix too.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Just checked- my Jurassic Parks are all there. Cool.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Memory plays tricks on us. I remember the long flirtation with those big-assed laser-discs, watching them languish in their small region at the Blockbusters, then watching the slow march of VHS shelves converting over to DVD shelves and somewhere along the way the laser-disc disappearing. And now, Blu-Ray. I've had Blu-Rays ever since the PS3 first came out. How many years was that? The download paradigm has been going on for some time. Nothing this big happens overnight. It's just that afterwards we sometimes act like it did.

I remember... Blockbusters...

• Reply 9 of 48
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Just checked- my Jurassic Parks are all there. Cool.

Don't you already own Jurassic Park in a much better format than iTunes can deliver?

Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

I don't find iTunes movies to be overpriced. I buy less DVDs these days and increasingly download more iTune movies and TV programmes. However, there is still a much wider selection of DVDs.

You are right about the bonus features. I do miss them on downloads. I wonder why they aren't included? One day maybe?

There are extras, the problem is that the Apple TV doesn't support them for some reason. Boggles the mind.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    Quote:

This rental on iTunes piece by piece model only on Apple hardware is both ridiculous and antiquated as is the closed wall of availability. Cook will fix this misguided iTunes model we now have. There is no reason why iTunes shouldn't be on a Xbox or Sony Bluray player. And their streaming services are great - Amazon and Sony that is. Netflix too.

dude, are you new to apple platform? what the hell are you talking about?

there is no way IMO they are going to make iTunes available as a service on non-apple hardware.

can you apply for new id for iCloud email service on non-apple hardware? i don't think so..
  • Reply 12 of 48
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

iTunes Extras for bonus features.. Although not all movies have it.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

there is no way IMO they are going to make iTunes available as a service on non-apple hardware.

They have since 2003.

Quote:

can you apply for new id for iCloud email service on non-apple hardware? i don't think so..

Windows lets you do it, I believe. I could be wrong about that.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

i agree for the over-pricing to buy movies on iTunes, i only like to rent movies when i want to watch it.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Don't you already own Jurassic Park in a much better format than iTunes can deliver?

Blu-Ray?

Yes I do. It's just nice to have it to watch on my on my iPad as I travel. But I would never ever buy or rent from iTunes- like throwing money out the window. All my iTunes movies are freebies from Blu - the ultimate format.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Except, of course, everywhere in the world besides the US. Bleh.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    And the dominoes start falling in place
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Blu - the ultimate format.

Until another one comes along and it's as useless as Betamax is now.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Yes I do. It's just nice to have it to watch on my on my iPad as I travel. But I would never ever buy or rent from iTunes- like throwing money out the window. All my iTunes movies are freebies from Blu - the ultimate format.

I've never bought a Blue Ray movie. Do all of them come with a digital copy?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I've never bought a Blue Ray movie. Do all of them come with a digital copy?

Nope, that costs extra.

Yes, that fact is hilarious, by the way.