Apple's next iPhone predicted to have redesigned 'sleek' unibody case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

And the claim that they're radio transparent?

I distinctly remember reading on the LiquidMetal web site that LM has electrical resistance of 75 μ Ω in., which I believe would be in conflict with the claim that it was radio transparent.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    iPhone 5: the 6th generation, now with 4G technology!
  • Reply 23 of 95
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

4" iPhone will NOT happen. Not as a replacement of current form factor.

There is a big demand for at least two phone form factors: the current 3.5" and larger 4"-4.5". I imagine one could be called iPhone Classic and the other iPhone Grande.

And yes, Apple can support both sizes without any iOS update. As example all three 13", 15" and 17" MacbookPro can run the same 1280 by 800 resolution. Pixels just get bigger on a bigger size display.

Same story with a smaller iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

iPhone 5: the 6th generation, now with 4G technology!

No, its the New iPhone (fall 2012) with LTE technology
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe the 6th iPhone will be the first to not only not have different models anywhere, but also be the first to show up on Apple's website as just a single phone.

You pick the color, you pick the size, boom. It's shipped to you. Works with any carrier. Move to another carrier? Fine. They can't do squat about it. Screw you, locks.

AT&T has already been beaten. Verizon and Sprint don't even have a say anymore, really.

That won't and can't happen. Verizon and Sprint have two different CDMA baseband signature keys. You can add all the frequency support you want, but you can't work around that.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Because my memory is worthless, I know I'll keep asking this for years, and I know I've asked it multiple times already, but it isn't, is it? It's NOT radio transparent? I'd like confirmation on that again.

Liquidmetal is made primarily from zirconia. It's basically a metalized glass. And Apple released a patent a while back talking about it...

"In the August 7, 2006 filing, published Thursday by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the iPod maker said zirconia -- often used to replicate diamonds for costume jewelry -- offers advantages over other materials, such as aluminum, in that it is structurally strong, stiff and radio transparent. "
  • Reply 27 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

There is a big demand for at least two phone form factors: the current 3.5" and larger 4"-4.5".

There's a big demand for 3.5". Not so much for larger…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That won't and can't happen. Verizon and Sprint have two different CDMA baseband signature keys. You can add all the frequency support you want, but you can't work around that.

Tim Cook: "Hey, Dan, it's Tim. I have Ivan on conference here. I wanted to let you guys know that when your customers come into your stores and ask you to unlock their phones, you're going to do it from now on. Okay? Thanks, guys!"

Done.

Quote:

…zirconia… …is… …radio transparent.

Ooh. OOH. What does this mean, then? A LiquidMetal 802.11ac AirPort family*this year?! I'd buy one. Heck yes I would. And then a LiquidMetal 4th gen Apple TV?
  • Reply 28 of 95
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    1. LiquidMetal Technologies has patented a process rather than a specific alloy. LiquidMetal Technologies has produced more than 2 million antenna using their process for amorphous metal alloys.

2. The new iPhone (iPhone 6th generation) will almost certainly feature not only 4G LTE but DC-HSDPA as well. In February 2012, Three UK announced the start of its trials of DC-HSPDA. Full rollout will begin in Summer 2012. Therefore, for those in the United Kingdom, the new iPhone will almost certainly feature vastly improved cellular connectivity. In fact, some tests have demonstrated better real world speed with DC-HSDPA than 4G LTE.

3. Do not expect the new iPhone to feature a 4.5" or larger screen. You will likely be disappointed.

4. The new iPhone will probably feature vastly improved conformance to the Color Gamut Standard like the new iPad. Previously, color saturation of competitor's devices may have appeared better than Apple products. Apple will set the new standard with 99% Color Gamut Standard conformance.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

They did it with the iPhone 4 for China, didn't they? I think there was a China-specific model.

That was a disabling of the WiFi. What we're talking about is the number of LTE operating bands that will be required for all countries with LTE up and running.

Quote:

But honestly, I don't think they'll need to have multiple phones for LTE support. I believe the 6th iPhone will be the first to not only not have different models anywhere, but also be the first to show up on Apple's website as just a single phone.

What technical infö are you using to come to that conclusion. We already know the MDM9600 in the iPad 3 can't handle more than 2 operating bands which is why we have 18 models instead of 12 in the US and Canada. So the MDM9615, rumoured to be in the next iPhone, will need to support 4 or 6 or 12 operating bands to get sufficient coverage. I can't find any info on the number of operating bands it can support for LTE but I do know that 5 bands for '3G' only appeared less than 2 years ago.

Quote:

You pick the color, you pick the size, boom. It's shipped to you. Works with any carrier. Move to another carrier? Fine. They can't do squat about it. Screw you, locks.

That's fine in theory but if the HW can't support it, it can't support it. Then you have the issue of carrier contracts being profitable to vendors which is why they don't simply sell all their products unlocked and contract free.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is all sorts of possibilities for a new design. They could even mold antennas into the glass structures.

That is a very interesting idea. Car antennas have been put in glass - but I don't know much about it.

Does every frequency require its own antenna?

Could LiquidMetal be part of the new iPhone's case or chassis?
  • Reply 31 of 95
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I could care less. I just returned my new iPad because the goddamn thing won't charge while plugged in. As a matter of fact, that crap shuts down while plugged in when the battery drains. WTF!

I think it's just yours.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

There's a big demand for 3.5". Not so much for larger?

Actually, I think the demand is for an iPhone sized phone, not so much the screen size. If it were possible to make the screen 4" rather than 3.5" without changing the phone size by reducing the size of the borders, I think a lot of people would be happy with a larger screen.

Quote:

Ooh. OOH. What does this mean, then? A LiquidMetal 802.11ac AirPort family*this year?! I'd buy one. Heck yes I would. And then a LiquidMetal 4th gen Apple TV?

That works for me. I'd love to see what it would do to my LQMT stock.

Quote:

Liquidmetal is made primarily from zirconia. It's basically a metalized glass. And Apple released a patent a while back talking about it...

"In the August 7, 2006 filing, published Thursday by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the iPod maker said zirconia -- often used to replicate diamonds for costume jewelry -- offers advantages over other materials, such as aluminum, in that it is structurally strong, stiff and radio transparent. "

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I distinctly remember reading on the LiquidMetal web site that LM has electrical resistance of 75 μ Ω in., which I believe would be in conflict with the claim that it was radio transparent.

What you're both missing is that Liquidmetal is not so much a product as a technology. There is a wide range of liquidmetal products based on a wide range of metal alloys. Some are based on zirconium (not zirconia, btw), some on platinum, and some on aluminum, if I remember correctly. Each different alloy will have its own different properties.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I could care less. I just returned my new iPad because the goddamn thing won't charge while plugged in. As a matter of fact, that crap shuts down while plugged in when the battery drains. WTF!

You need to understand that the charging system built into the new iPad is designed to give you the advertised uptime when the icon shows full charge. Batterygate is nothing but hysteria. /s
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I think you are confusing two separate things.

Apple has two exclusive world-wide materials use licences (no one else but they can use said material in a mobile device), one is the zirconia stuff, the other is the liquid metal.

Liquid metal is a metalic glass composite and is not radio transparent in that it's mostly metal with small amounts of other materials.

Zirconia is the advanced ceramic with properties very close to something like gorilla glass and *is* radio transparent like all glasses and most ceramics.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:

What if Apple could make a phone with a larger screen that's not significantly larger than the current version? And thinner?

Anything bigger than the current size is "significant". People need to have the phone fit in thier pocket without the need for clown pants. /s
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

"In our view, this will be the most significant iPhone upgrade with a four-inch screen and a new, sleek look that we believe will require a Unibody case," White wrote. "This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade."

This is just idiotic. The reason to upgrade is the new features, not the "sleek new look". I expect the 6th gen iPhone to have the same case and look and the 4th and 5th gen iPhones.

I really have to disagree here. The iPhone is a statement of how current and up to date you are with technology. If the new iPhone (that's what it will be called) has a new look, many many people will buy it because it looks different and therefore anyone can tell that you're sporting the latest coolest technology. It might seem idiotic to you but the iPhone makes a statement to others about who you are. And having the (clearly) latest one is an important statement that people want to make.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    skyzlmtskyzlmt Posts: 46member
    And if in some crazy way the new iPhone does not have true 4G LTE, knock several hundred out of the stock estimates.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I think Apple will increase the screen size just to accomadate a larger battery.

3.9" to 4" is what I am thinking.

I think that you are right. A 4 inch retina screen would be significantly bigger for those used to the current models. It would look beautiful, and would require few formatting changes by devs.

Something along those lines could be done within the current iPhone size envelope. And Apple has shown, I think, with the new iPad that insignificant increases in size and weight are acceptable tradeoffs in new products, so I don't expect any slavish conformity to current iPhone specs or industry trends.

Likely any new form will follow function. I would not be surprised if Apple improves the grip on the sides of the phone in order to reduce the bezel width. Maybe a curved back so it can be balanced most easily in a secure grip?
  • Reply 39 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

The patent did not have anything to do with LiquidMetal. It was a process for forming the structural enclosures of cell phones using ceramics and also the use of Y2O3 stabilized zirconia which is not LM. That is the same compound used in jewelry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What you're both missing is that Liquidmetal is not so much a product as a technology. There is a wide range of liquidmetal products based on a wide range of metal alloys. Some are based on zirconium (not zirconia, btw), some on platinum, and some on aluminum, if I remember correctly. Each different alloy will have its own different properties.

I guess I am missing that. I read that LM was an alloy of ZrTi. Can you point to some links of other alloys of LM besides Titanium?
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

There is a big demand for at least two phone form factors: the current 3.5" and larger 4"-4.5"

I don't think so. The iPhone 3GS outsold every single large screen android phone in 2011. If large screens were so desirable that would not happen.