AT&T to spend $150M on Lumia launch, more than it did with iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    If ATTs service was worthwhile, they wouldn't need exclusive phones and millions in advertising. How about spending 150mil on your network.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Do you guys really think the Nokia Lumia looks ugly? I thought it looked pretty decent myself. Now granted we have 6 IOS devices at home so we are pretty much locked into the ecosystem, but if I had no particular affinity for Apple and had to choose between an Android phone and the Nokia, I would probably choose the Nokia,
  • Reply 43 of 87
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

Interesting move by AT&T. It would seem to me this move is meant to try to draw the Android users away from the other carriers, although I am sure they will take any iPhone defectors with this campaign as well.

I'd agree here. They are still by far the biggest seller of iPhones in the US, but Verizon has them beaten on Android sales. Android represents 50% of the market, and my guess is that AT&T wants there to be a third major ecosystem out there so that they don't become too dependent upon Google.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Now they spend more money to advertise for this than the iPhone should not come as a surprise since they NEED to advertise this product heavily in order to sell it. Not a surprise at all!

At least some of what they're spending is a waste. I saw a Lumia commercial during a major network primetime show tonight and it's frankly pitiful compared to Apple's TV commercial focus on features that have customer value.

Scene: A guy ostentatiously scrolls down the screen, trying to impress the girl who has just sat down beside him, while studiously acting as if he's not aware she's there.

(... Ooooh, lookey at my cool new blue smart phone. It even has these neat rounded edges! ... Doesn't that just make me the coolest dude in the room?? ...)

Is this the best they can do with all that money? Total fail.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

What's up with the bright primary colors?

It's reportedly because of the OLED display.

Anyone who wants iDevices to use OLEDs take notice:

because with OLED displays individual R G B pixels light up, the more pixels you light up, the more power the display drains.

That is why Android by default uses white text on black and Windows uses primary color tiles. Lighting up only e.g. Red and Blue pixels (to get magenta) saves all the Green pixels.

Some reports say that black on white text, like most web pages use, drains more battery juice on OLEDs than on same size and resolution IPS LCDs. Supposedly one of the reasons Apple still uses IPS technology.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    lualua Posts: 7member
    '... spend $150M on Lumia launch, more than it did with iPhone'

that is standard practice when you want to peddle a inferior product to a bunch of fools. i guess it's a hard sell.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    I got to play with the Lumia 900 today for about 20 minutes.

Build quality and materials are top notch. Much better than anything in the android world currently.

Windows Phone looks great, and is blistering fast and repsonsive. Animations and transition effects are seamless. Not a hint of lag anywhere. It makes the best android phone look sluggish and pathetic in comparison.

Screen is slightly pixelated at times because of the low res. Blacks are deep, colors are rich.

Camera is not as good as the iPhone 4S.

All in all I give it thumbs up. Solid phone.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Build quality and materials are top notch. Much better than anything in the android world currently.

Windows Phone looks great, and is blistering fast and repsonsive. Animations and transition effects are seamless. Not a hint of lag anywhere. It makes the best android phone look sluggish and pathetic in comparison.

Screen is slightly pixelated at times because of the low res. Blacks are deep, colors are rich.

Yea but a phone that relays on Microsoft Cloud storage not local storage for the phone. So good luck if you are not in LTE coverage area.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Do you guys really think the Nokia Lumia looks ugly?

It is extremely ugly. Apple would never come out with anything that looks remotely like that, because Apple has Jony Ive who has taste, which Microsoft does not have.

The phone is ugly. The OS is ugly. Together, they are a total train wreck.

Sure, there are some out there who try to say that at least Microsoft didn't copy Apple, so it must be good. Well, that doesn't make it good. Windows Phone 7 is horrible as an OS. Just because they didn't copy Apple doesn't make it good.

Nobody with even a shred of taste would even suggest that they might consider getting one of these.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Quote:

I always felt that the phone looked good. And I used Nokia phone long ago since I felt they were well designed at that time and different enough.

The problem, IIRC, is that there is no front-facing camera. If this is a Flagship product touting Windows and Nokia, wouldn't Windows be interested in showing off Skype on the mobile? What happened there?

The other problem, of course, is that it is not the iPhone! I currently see no reason to use another phone besides the iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

It is extremely ugly. Apple would never come out with anything that looks remotely like that, because Apple has Jony Ive who has taste, which Microsoft does not have.

Ever taken a look at the ipod nano of a few years back? Quite similar and designed by?
  • Reply 52 of 87
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The phone is ugly. The OS is ugly. Together, they are a total train wreck.

Sure, there are some out there who try to say that at least Microsoft didn't copy Apple, so it must be good. Well, that doesn't make it good. Windows Phone 7 is horrible as an OS. Just because they didn't copy Apple doesn't make it good.

Nobody with even a shred of taste would even suggest that they might consider getting one of these.

How old are you? Why do you sound so scared..?
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I always felt that the phone looked good. And I used Nokia phone long ago since I felt they were well designed at that time and different enough.

The problem, IIRC, is that there is no front-facing camera. If this is a Flagship product touting Windows and Nokia, wouldn't Windows be interested in showing off Skype on the mobile? What happened there?

The other problem, of course, is that it is not the iPhone! I currently see no reason to use another phone besides the iPhone.

Lumia 900 has front facing camera. Lumia 800 doesn't. Pity.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Do you guys really think the Nokia Lumia looks ugly? I thought it looked pretty decent myself. Now granted we have 6 IOS devices at home so we are pretty much locked into the ecosystem, but if I had no particular affinity for Apple and had to choose between an Android phone and the Nokia, I would probably choose the Nokia,

Looks are relative. I think both Lumia 800 and 900 look nice. But then, I also prefer look of my 3Gs to 4/4s. While 4s do look more... Luxurious, I'm finding them too flat and edgy for a hand-held device, and I don't like whole "sandwitch" design with matching top and bottom.

Some people will like them, some will not. Some for a reason, some for a passion. Like everything else. I do believe, though, that everyone who had opportunity to hold it will agree that it is well made and different from other smartphones available today.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Append '/s' to everything he says; it'll make your life easier.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I remember reading a while back that the iPhone provides the lowest margins for the carriers (can someone link the article? I think it was at AI, I can't step away from work for too long right now to look it up). So I can understand why they might want to promote phones other than the iPhone.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/tech....htm?hpt=hp_t3
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Yea I thought that was weird until I found out that there is currently no software that supports it yet. Hopefully Windows Mobile 8 will fix that.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:

Actually the camera is very good, it's the software that isn't up for the job yet. The Nokia N9 takes fantastic photos and it has the same camera in it. Microsoft and Nokia will most likely fix this very soon.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    Well, there's smartphones and then there's Lumia
  • Reply 60 of 87
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    The bigger and more powerful Apple gets, the more nervous it makes their former partners.

We saw Google stab Apple in the back with Android - Now Intel is openly touting its Ultrabook initiative as a better alternative to the Mac Book Air. AT&T is lending a major hand to Nokia, MS and Windows Phone 7. IBM has sold Google patents that it can use to fight against Apple and Oracle.

So far, it looks like all these moves have been unable to stop Apple, or even make a dent in its progress.

And now, Apple knows who its true friends are! It actually looks like Oracle might actually be Apple's best friend at the moment! And possibly even Microsoft, to some extent - if the rumors of an iPad version of Office are true.