Apple CEO Tim Cook to kick off 10th D: All Things Digital conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook will be the opening speaker for this year's D10 conference, marking 10 years of "D: All Things Digital."

Cook will speak at the opening night of the conference when it kicks off on May 29 at the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., Kara Swisher announced on Tuesday. It will be Cook's first appearance at the D conference, and his first time appearing onstage at an event not run by Apple or investors since he became CEO last August.

"We are looking forward to hearing Cook’s perspective on where the industry and Apple is going, and perhaps to get a glimpse into what makes its new leader — who is also a longtime Apple vet — tick," Swisher wrote.

Other speakers at this year's event include Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz, entrepreneur Sean Parker, and Zynga CEO Mark Pincus.

The late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs made a total of six appearances at the All Things D conference, including the 8th annual event in 2010. There he spoke candidly about a number of topics, including his company's opposition to Adobe Flash on iOS, as well as the prototype iPhone 4 that was lost in a bar and later purchased by Gizmodo.

Jobs also shared the stage with Microsoft founder Bill Gates at the D conference in 2007. During the talk, hosted by Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, both Jobs and Gates were complimentary of each other.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Huh. Strange.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Nothing strange.

Quote:

Jobs also shared the stage with Microsoft founder Bill Gates at the D conference in 2007. During the talk, hosted by Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, both Jobs and Gates were complimentary of each other

This was a great discussion- so glad I have a copy of it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think this is a great way for Cook to get his personality and vision better understood.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

It's also available from Apple as a podcast.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    It's getting annoying how every article has to mention Steve Jobs at the end.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Nothing strange.

But wasn't the opening speaker. Steve simply had a time slot in 2010 and another in 2007 alongside the Gates talk. It'll be interesting to see what Cook has in store.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh. Strange.

Not strange at all.

Its good PR for Apple and good for Apple shareholders.

The more I see of Tim Cook the more I like him. He is definitely more media friendly and more investor relations friendly - and that can only be better for Apple shareholders.

This can be seen by the performance of Apple shares since he took over as CEO and especially since he appeared at the Goldman Sachs conference. There he said that he was prepared to return some of Apple's surplus cash - signalling that they were considering dividends and or share buy back. Since then Apple shares have enjoyed really strong growth.

He is also at pains to explain that Apple still has plenty of headroom to grow because, despite its exceptionally fast growing revenue and profits in recent years, the Mac and iPhone both still only have single digit market share respectively of PCs and global mobile phone units sales and that the iPad is still in its infancy.

This is a message which needs to be hammered home time and again by Apple to dispel the nonsense of the so called "Law Of Large Numbers"
  • Reply 8 of 19
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It's getting annoying how every article has to mention Steve Jobs at the end.

Having "Steve Jobs" is probably good for keywords for SEO.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Huh. Strange.

Wel, I'll agree with you.

Quote:

But wasn't the opening speaker. Steve simply had a time slot in 2010 and another in 2007 alongside the Gates talk. It'll be interesting to see what Cook has in store.

Because of this. It will be interesting.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    OK, Tim, but it has to remain the exception. Business world is full of CEOs so pleased to appear on stage that they ultimately forget everything about what consumers (and employees, and shareholders ...) expect from them ...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

OK, Tim, but it has to remain the exception. Business world is full of CEOs so pleased to appear on stage that they ultimately forget everything about what consumers expect from them ...

I agree with this. There are plenty of Apple events for which he can be the keynote speaker/MC. I still contend this is a good thing for the first ATD event with Cook as non-interim CEO.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    To make Tim Cook great, he needs a rival or a nemsis just as Steve had Bill. Larry Page does not seem charismatic enough to meet the need, not that Tim Cook has yet to let the world know his character all that well either.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmxdmb134 View Post

To make Tim Cook great, he needs a rival or a nemsis just as Steve had Bill. Larry Page does not seem charismatic enough to meet the need, not that Tim Cook has yet to let the world know his character all that well either.

My I suggest:

• Reply 14 of 19
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Good to see Walt kissing the behind of apple's next gen ceo too, traditions have to be followed.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Sorry dude

Suddenly Newton I had to block you just until this thread gets to page 2. I cannot stomach that photo of Balmer. I'm trying to eat lunch here!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Nothing strange.

I'm glad to have a copy as well. But there are six? Didn't know that; are they available at their site or perhaps I need to check my podcast settings in iTunes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My I suggest:

darn, a poststamp size would be enough. Second time you do this a aargh!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

Having "Steve Jobs" is probably good for keywords for SEO.

I agree... Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

My eyes! My eyes!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sorry, but Steve Ballmer comes in only one size:

OBNOXIOUS