Symantec exec hired by Apple to serve as new tax chief

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple has hired Phillip Bullock away from Symantec, where he serves as senior vice president and chief accounting officer, to run its own tax department, a new filing revealed on Tuesday.

The announcement was revealed through an 8-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday by Symantec, and discovered by Silicon Alley Insider. Bullock had served as Symantec's chief accounting officer since September of 2009.

"(Bullock) announced he will be leaving the Company to lead the tax department at Apple, Inc., and not due to any disagreement with the Company on any matters relating to the Company's operations, policies or practices," the filing reads.

The change will become effective on April 30, 2012, when Andrew Del Matto will replace Bullock as Symantec's senior vice president and chief accounting officer.

Bullock first joined Symantec as vice president of tax and trade compliance in March 2006. He also took over the company's corporate risk assurance function in March 2007.

Apple's new tax chief has a bachelor of science degree in business administration, accounting information systems, from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. He also has a master's in professional accounting from University of Texas at Austin.

The hiring of Bullock is the latest in a number of management changes for Apple in 2012. Most significant was the hiring of Dixons Retail CEO John Browett in January as Apple's new senior vice president of retail, taking over for Ron Johnson who left to become chief executive at JC Penney.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SYMANTEC?!?! One of the WORST COMPANIES in all of technology?! Jesus, I long for the days when Steve Jobs and Ron Johnson were doing all the hiring. First, that terrible guy from the UK to lead the retail division -- a guy who knows nothing about running a great retail brand, but instead only knows how to run the #1 worst retail brand in the UK. And now, this guy? From Symantec, a company which is no better than Dell in their scare tactics, bait-and-switch routines, and disdain for Apple users? So long to Apple, the company I once admired.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

?scare tactics, bait-and-switch routines, and disdain?

Sounds exactly like someone you'd want in your tax division.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds exactly like someone you'd want in your tax division.

Hahaha.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:

SYMANTEC?!?! One of the WORST COMPANIES in all of technology?! Jesus, I long for the days when Steve Jobs and Ron Johnson were doing all the hiring. First, that terrible guy from the UK to lead the retail division -- a guy who knows nothing about running a great retail brand, but instead only knows how to run the #1 worst retail brand in the UK. And now, this guy? From Symantec, a company which is no better than Dell in their scare tactics, bait-and-switch routines, and disdain for Apple users? So long to Apple, the company I once admired.

A slow hate day for you?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    I'd be more impressed if Apple hired an AV expert from Symantec.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Ron Johnson was doing all the hiring?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I'd be more impressed if Apple hired an AV expert from Symantec.

I don't know about that. Seems like Symantec can't even protect itself: http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?th...us-code-claims

ESET would be a better pick: http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I don't know about that. Seems like Symantec can't even protect itself: http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?th...us-code-claims

ESET would be a better pick: http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/

You can't judge individual talent based on your (or anyone else's) perception of a company. Based on your logic, then every employee at Apple is a must-hire and everyone at RIM is a loser. That's dumb.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow, in other news I had a fruit cup today, there was even two cherries in it. It was a good day.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Funny how it happens all the time to top Executives.

Carl Bartz

Leo Apotheker

Steve Ballmer

etc...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You can't judge individual talent based on your (or anyone else's) perception of a company. Based on your logic, then every employee at Apple is a must-hire and everyone at RIM is a loser. That's dumb.

• Reply 11 of 12
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

The guy is there to minimize Apple's tax bill, not design the next iPhone. He may be great at what he does and wants to work for a bigger company with bigger challenges. Most of Apple's money is overseas, and with the high corporate tax rate here, tax planning is an important consideration in any big company's operations.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kre62kre62 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Wow, bitter much? Dont condemn an entire company based on what one team does to promote its consumer products. The consumer division of Symantec is less than 1/3 of the company, and its a small team responsible for the so called scare tactics for the Norton products. Besides, is it recent that youve been scared into Norton products? Will you hold a grudge forever because of what one team did to try to increase revenue years ago?

In case you havent guessed, I work for SYMC. Its an awesome place to work, with awesome, talented people. So don't go jumping to conclusions with limited information.

P.S. My work issued laptop is a macbook pro....wheres the disdain?