Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

New tablet sales projections from Gartner call for Apple to sell nearly 73 million iPads in 2012, and to remain the market leader through 2016.

Total worldwide tablet sales are forecast to reach 118.9 million units this year, with Apple accounting for 73 million of those. Total sales will grow 98 percent from 2011, based on Gartner's projections.

The research firm sees Apple's iOS maintaining its position as the dominant tablet operating system. Apple's projected share would be good for 61.4 percent of tablet sales to end users this year.

Gartner sees Apple maintaining its leadership position even as competitors such as Microsoft's Windows 8 come to the market later in the year.

"Despite PC vendors and phone manufacturers wanting a piece of the pie and launching themselves into the media tablet market, so far, we have seen very limited success outside of Apple with its iPad," said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner.

"As vendors struggled to compete on price and differentiate enough on either the hardware or ecosystem, inventories were built and only 60 million units actually reached the hands of consumers across the world. The situation has not improved in early 2012, when the arrival of the new iPad has reset the benchmark for the product to beat."

Finishing second to iOS this year, based on Gartner's predictions, will be Android, which the firm believes will be installed on 37.9 million tablets sold. In a distant third is Microsoft, which is forecast to sell 4.9 million tablets this year.

"It appears that this year competitors have waited to see what Apple would bring out — because there were very few announcements of new media tablets at either the Consumer Electronics Show or Mobile World Congress," Milanesi said. "Many vendors will wait for Windows 8 to be ready and will try to enter the market with a dual-platform approach, hoping that the Microsoft brand could help them in both the enterprise and consumer markets."

By 2016, Gartner believes Apple will sell 170 million tablets in a single year, continuing to lead Android at 138 million. Microsoft is seeing accounting for 43.6 million tablets in 2016.

"IT departments will see Windows 8 as the opportunity to deploy tablets on an OS that is familiar to them and with devices offered by many enterprise-class suppliers," Milanesi said. "This means that we see Windows 8 as a strong IT-supplied offering more so than an OS with a strong consumer appeal."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...and 100% of the market's profit.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    They accomplish this by making great (insanely) stuff. Period. So many companies have forgotten this.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    There will be 46M non-iOS tablets sold in 2012!?

In which parallel universe?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"IT departments will see Windows 8 as the opportunity to deploy tablets on an OS that is familiar to them and with devices offered by many enterprise-class suppliers," Milanesi said. "This means that we see Windows 8 as a strong IT-supplied offering more so than an OS with a strong consumer appeal."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Typical old fashioned reasoning, which indeed served IBM "market will buy, just because it is an IBM product" (you replace "IBM" by "Microsoft"). It does no longer work this way ....
  • Reply 5 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The same parallel universe in which some well known brokerage house predicted that Android tablets would overtake the iPad by 2015.

"What a fool believes the wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be is always better than nothing, nothing at all."

- "What a Fool Believes" - the Dobbie Borthers
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Typical old fashioned reasoning, which indeed served IBM "market will buy, just because it is an IBM product" (you replace "IBM" by "Microsoft"). It does no longer work this way ....

The thing is, Win8 Metro UI is not familiar. Win8 with the "classic UI" isn't quite familiar. You need a 3rd-party utility just to get the Start Button back. I think Win7 is a brilliant job by MS but Win8 just feels wrong in every way. On top of that, I have yet to see developers invent in Metro apps for Win8 or how Win8 will work on ARM in comparison to iOS on the iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The same parallel universe in which some well known brokerage house predicted that Android tablets would overtake the iPad by 2015.

"What a fool believes the wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be is always better than nothing, nothing at all."

- "What a Fool Believes" - the Dobbie Borthers

What happened to those analysts that kept predicting that Windows Mobile would over take everything and be the dominate mobile OS? I'm pretty sure that was still being presented as the most likely scenario up through 2011.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Windows 8 for tablets has anything that could be considered familiar to IT departments other than the Microsoft logo, it will be a complete failure. A touch interface needs a complete redesign to work. Throw out everything except the kernel. We'll see. If they can get Office to work they may have a chance.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What happened to those analysts that kept predicting that Windows Mobile would over take everything and be the dominate mobile OS? I'm pretty sure that was still being presented as the most likely scenario up through 2011.

If there's any sanity left in the world, they were all fired and are now waiting in soup lines.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah...

The way I see it for 2012:

iPad == 80 Million Units

Android == 12 Million Units

Windows 8 == 1.5 Million units

Other == .5 Million Units

• Reply 11 of 53
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    only if Apple is able to keep FUD by filing lawsuits against its competitors.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    I keep seeing these types of ratio stories pop up.

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

Edit: And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    The thing that struck me was the prediction of 17 Million QNX-based systems. Is someone one other than RIM building QNX-based systems? Have Playbook sales really been that good this year to justify projections of 2.6M?
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I keep seeing these types of ratio stories pop up.

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

Edit: And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.

I know of three or four people using Android phones, and I've seen five non-iOS tablets (one HP Touchpad, 2 Galaxy Tabs and 2 Kindle Fires). In the meantime, I have seen hundreds of iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.

I am seeing lots of Androids in Southern California. The IT/cable/phone installers type guys especially like them for some reason. They are pretty easy to spot since they don't fit in their jeans pocket. They always have some belt clip thing going on.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am seeing lots of Androids in Southern California. The IT/cable/phone installers type guys especially like them for some reason. They are pretty easy to spot since they don't fit in their jeans pocket. They always have some belt clip thing going on.

I know Charter issues them to on-the-road technical employees. They connect with their system and allow you to see and complete jobs. They, like most, if not all, cable companies used Nextel phones. These are quite handy for the two-way radio feature but they weren't very good for extracting and inputing information on your next or current work order.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

They accomplish this by making great (insanely) stuff. Period. So many companies have forgotten this.

You mean like the new iPad that has broken Wi-Fi or like my one that can't switch to 3G without a reboot?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I like how the date Apple will keep leading the tablet market keeps getting pushed further into the future. I remember hearing 2012 would be the year Android would overtake them. Then it was 2013, 2014, 2015 for SURE.... and now they're saying 2016? Something is clearly wrong with their "masterful" predictions.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Does this survey put things like Nooks and Kindles in the same category as iPads?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I'm surprised the number is that low. I figured iPad would have at least 75% given its popularity.