Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I keep seeing these types of ratio stories pop up.

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

i don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to categorically refute information that's probably gathered empirically. in your example, "everything else was literally an iPad", could mean as little as five (5).
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Gartner's school of astrology strikes again. They also predicted that WebOs would have 4% of tablet share in 2011 and 3.9 in 2012. If you can manage to control your laughter you will see in this latest chart the iPad dominance is extended by another year whereas their previous astrological predictions iPad only led till 2015!
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to categorically refute information that's probably gathered empirically. in your example, "everything else was literally an iPad", could mean as little as five (5).

On the contrary, I'm not doubting the evidence at all, I'm certain it's very accurate. But if my anecdotal evidence matches with others (which does seem, repeatedly, to be the case) then it's a good cause to investigate the numbers and make sure they weren't fudged by, say, counting those on store shelves rather than in customer hands.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Sorry, but current market statistics say that for every two iPads I see, I should run across an Android based tablet. But that just isn't the case. I think I've seen two non-iPad tablets in the wild, but many, many iPads.

But then these numbers posted here are actually shipments of tablets and have nothing to do with sales.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Math is a wonderful thing but left in the hands of mathematicians that have no idea what makes these products differ from each other, strength of the Apple brand and just plain old "also ran" quality of Android in (tablets) makes be think it is time to go back to the chalk boards.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

But then these numbers posted here are actually shipments of tablets and have nothing to do with sales.

The table says "sales."
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

On the contrary, I'm not doubting the evidence at all, I'm certain it's very accurate. But if my anecdotal evidence matches with others (which does seem, repeatedly, to be the case) then it's a good cause to investigate the numbers and make sure they weren't fudged by, say, counting those on store shelves rather than in customer hands.

understood.

however, anecdotal evidence is based on a worldview which is heavily based on the people with whom you interact -- be it person or online -- by choice or circumstance. and, one has to be aware that anecdotal evidence may be skewed by cognitive bias.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There will be 46M non-iOS tablets sold in 2012!?

In which parallel universe?

I’ve wondered the same thing about current tablet share numbers I’ve seen claimed. I see iPads everywhere; once in a blue moon I see a Kindle Fire. I’ve seen any other tablet maybe 3 times in the past 18 months.

I think the answer my lie with a) too much optimism for Android, but also b) Kindle Fire. Sold at a loss, not compatible with mainstream app markets, and maybe “Android” in name only. Even Google themselves is allegedly looking for a way to counter the Amazon Fire “problem.” But I expect most Android tablets sold will be from Amazon. Bad for Android, bad for people expecting great Android tablet apps. But OK for people who want little more than an e-reader with color pictures; and OK for Amazon, as long as they recoup their loss.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Oh, there certainly could be a bias. In the interest of disclosure, my area is primary university-based settings, particularly mathematics where Linux strongly dominates.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Oh, there certainly could be a bias. In the interest of disclosure, my area is primary university-based settings, particularly mathematics where Linux strongly dominates.

... which leads me to believe the Gartner sample population is much, much more varied by several orders of magnitude.

anyways, two thirds market share for the Apple iPad, in the tablet arena, is pretty good!
  • Reply 31 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

The table says "sales."

yes but that is "sales" to best buy and such not sales to end users. Apple sells practically everything it can make. Other vendors never report sales.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

I keep seeing these types of ratio stories pop up.

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

Edit: And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.

I never see anything other than iPhones and iPads in use.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Another bogus prediction/comparison. Apple has 90%+ marketshare of tablets actually being used.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

There will be 46M non-iOS tablets sold in 2012!?

In which parallel universe?

Um not everyone can afford a iPad, It makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Another bogus prediction/comparison. Apple has 90%+ marketshare of tablets actually being used.

I'm sorry and you know this how?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

It also dominates in the financial area, no I'm not talking about the front office applicatioms but the servers and workstations that contain trading software also highly mathematical based. I love Unix based OS's, no OS has come even close to what Unix/Linux can do.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Um not everyone can afford a iPad, It makes perfect sense.

Can people afford to NOT get an iPad?

You can buy a $70 Android tablet at Big Lots. They don't call it an eReader, they don't call it a media player, it's a "real tablet".

Uh huh.

Runs 1.6, even.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Sorry, but current market statistics say that for every two iPads I see, I should run across an Android based tablet. But that just isn't the case. I think I've seen two non-iPad tablets in the wild, but many, many iPads.

They must be selling else where, like here in Switzerland for instance, the Android tablets are very popular as their sold everywhere. We only have one Apple store in Zurich and their is only a few other companys that sell Apples, the margains are to small for a lot of our stores to carry them. We're still big in the ma and pa shops here. Not to say people don't buy Apples here they do a lot but Apple charges a lot more for their products here then say the US and a lot of us feel it's not right, especially when our Swiss Franc is worth more then the dollar. It's unfair and something needs to be done about it. Especially since Apples products are shipped from China directly to Apples Ireland distribution center and headquarters.

Thank goodness I travel to New York a lot so I have the opportunity to stock up on cheap gadgets.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Completely meaningless report. Nobody can predict the future. I used to produce reports like this in a former job and it?s all guesswork. All you do is draw a line through the past to the present and extrapolate it forward. Waste of time.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

What evidence do you base that statement on?