Google remakes its web-based Chrome OS to look more like Windows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    ??????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Google needs to quit doing absolutely everything else? and focus on the self-driving cars.

• Reply 22 of 61
    It's amazing that an ad search firm has not a clue about marketing itself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbisking View Post

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. Until Google has a little focus and a few long term goals and visions they'll continue to create, destroy, copy, fail, and rinse and repeat! Google needs a visionary, Apple had a visionary that instilled his vision not only within the organization, but within his customers. Everyone knew what Steve was about and everyone knows what he expects.

This is coming from a long time Android / Google user.

• Reply 23 of 61
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Add Google TV to the list of massive failures coming from Google.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

BREAKING: Microsoft sues for GUI plagiarism!

And that's Launchpad, for frick's sake. Screw you, Google. Screw you even more. Even MICROSOFT did their own thing this time around. SCREW. YOU.

And this is the Ubuntu Unity launcher:

And this is the GNOME 3 launcher:

Both of those are based on Linux, just like Chrome OS is. I love Apple as much as the next guy, but please, let's be reasonable. Apple did not invent the grid of icons.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Both of those are based on Linux, just like Chrome OS is. I love Apple as much as the next guy, but please, let's be reasonable. Apple did not invent the grid of icons.

I'm sorry, where did I say that? Where did I even imply it?
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

I'm sorry, where did I say that? Where did I even imply it?

Quote:

And that's Launchpad, for frick's sake. Screw you, Google. Screw you even more. Even MICROSOFT did their own thing this time around. SCREW. YOU.

That quote from your original post would strongly imply that you are accusing Google of stealing the idea of Launchpad from Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

That quote from your original post would strongly imply that you are accusing Google of stealing the idea of Launchpad from Apple.

Yeah, I am.

?

The Launchpad idea isn't "a grid of icons". It's the whole, not the parts. Your examples don't have squat to do with this. Google's implementation is IDENTICAL to Apple's, minus the background blur. It exists to BE identical to Apple's implementation. And we've seen that before.

Your examples are decidedly different.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Google's target is the wall. As in "throw shit on it and see what sticks".

Google is nothing more than a one-trick pony.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    I agree with some aspects of all of these comments. The main issue is that Google has established a wild track record of not committing to anything for more than a few years unless it is majorly successful.

GMail fit the bill and is here to stay. GApps for business and educational institutions are successful, but they are not free services and are heavily promoted by Google's lobbyists. (I go to U of Michigan and the school decided to go to a Google Apps based environment over a more capable but less sexy Microsoft offering).

Other products like Wave, Notebook, Gears, Code Search, Answers, and Base have all gone the way of the Dodo.

The key to Apple's success is the principle that a product will be properly prepared and developed in advance. i.e. 'They don't know what they want until we show it to them.'

Google has lost my faith and here is why:

Why should I decide to use a product that is difficult to use because it wasn't developed fully?

Why should I use a product that might be merged with another product that I already use?

Why should I use a product that seems to only exist to sweat more demographic data out of me to send to Adsense?

Why should I use a product from a company that has a habit of dropping lukewarm potatoes and sending a message that their users are not important to them.

Google also scares me and here is why:

They are violating the main tenant of the internet, that information is free to be shared. I have considerable experience in libraries and research, and I cannot use nor recommend Google search anymore because it automatically assumes that I am searching for the term that is most popular or valuable to Google, not to my research.

Google apparently believe that the only information they should index and deliver to you is the information that gets them advertising money.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Yeah, I am.

?

The Launchpad idea isn't "a grid of icons". It's the whole, not the parts. Your examples don't have squat to do with this. Google's implementation is IDENTICAL to Apple's, minus the background blur. It exists to BE identical to Apple's implementation. And we've seen that before.

Your examples are decidedly different.

We have had grids of icons since the first GUIs back in the 1970s. Look for the
    What you're pointing out is how they are now centered instead of being left-justified like Windows and Linux desktop GUIs or right-justified like in Xerox and Mac OS. But none of that came about because of LaunchPad, it's because of touchscreen OSes. They are the dominance OS and so it's safe to assume that familar and useful features will carry over. It seems clear to me that is why LaunchPad works the way it does.

But there is one thing you're not acknowledging which would make for a much better argument (though still not a good argument): it's not a grid of icons, it's a grid of apps. If Apple can be credited with anything here it's making the OS more app focus instead of file type focused without bringing over an archaic system that simply makes no sense on a touchscreen. Again, this already exist before the iPhone on earlier touchscreen devices but it was side-by-side with the antediluvian method showing only a partial understanding and/or commitment to the UX.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

If you can't innovate, duplicate!!

That's downright embarrassing. Rip-off Window's look and feel, and while they're at it, snub OSX too by mimicking launchpad.

Cue the iHaters, trolls, and whiners trying to spin this that Windows/OSX does not corner the market on placement of icons, etc...

Launchpad is garbage. I use spotlight for everything.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Launchpad is garbage. I use spotlight for everything.

For someone so open minded, you certainly don't sound like you've given it a fair shake.

I'm one pinch and two clicks away from all of the applications on my computer with Launchpad. I'm x number of key presses and two clicks (I have the shortcut turned off, as I'm using it for something else) away from stuff in Spotlight, and that's a less elegant solution for me.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Google also scares me and here is why:

They are violating the main tenant of the internet, that information is free to be shared. I have considerable experience in libraries and research, and I cannot use nor recommend Google search anymore because it automatically assumes that I am searching for the term that is most popular or valuable to Google, not to my research.

Google apparently believe that the only information they should index and deliver to you is the information that gets them advertising money.

You may be using the wrong Google search engine. Try Google Scholar instead to see if you get more appropriate results. You can thank me later.

http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/about.html
  • Reply 34 of 61
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Chrome OS is dead.

[mind drifts] meanwhile, in Mountain View:

"No, it's still breathing!"

"it's not! This parrot is dead!"

"it's pining for its home in the tropics."

"this parrot is indisputably, unquestionably, irrevocably, incontrovertibly, absolutely and completely dead!!"

"oh ... all right then. how about a budgie?"
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

Google has launched a series of web-based products that it ultimately canceled, including Google Answers, Buzz, Catalog, Checkout, Dodgeball, Froogle, Jaiku, Knol, Labs, Lively, Notebook, SearchWiki, Wave, and 411.

In all fairness, Google experiments a lot and exposes some of these experiments to the public. Not all of these experiments win over the public, but some have. I wouldn't parade their failures as a sign that Google sucks, but it looks as if Chrome OS will fail.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

For someone so open minded, you certainly don't sound like you've given it a fair shake.

I'm one pinch and two clicks away from all of the applications on my computer with Launchpad. I'm x number of key presses and two clicks (I have the shortcut turned off, as I'm using it for something else) away from stuff in Spotlight, and that's a less elegant solution for me.

Cmd+Space Bar, type in what you want (usually just the first few letters), hit enter. Yep, seems pretty sloppy to me. Fingers never leave the keyboard, and I can guarantee you I can open an application faster than you can with Launchpad.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

Yep, seems pretty sloppy to me.

Never said it was sloppy, said it was less elegant, and less elegant for me alone.

Quote:

I can guarantee you I can open an application faster than you can with Launchpad.

Were I a betting man, I'd take that bet, only because I know I'd win.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

Never said it was sloppy, said it was less elegant, and less elegant for me alone.

Were I a betting man, I'd take that bet, only because I know I'd win.

Fair enough. I actually enjoy Launchpad, and if I can't remember the name of an app, it's usually what i go to. I guess it's just the years of training with Spotlight that has my brain wired to default to that.

Probably the same reason Windows 8 makes me curl up in a ball and curse at myself under my breath. Beautiful, yes, but functional? At least to me, not a chance.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Probably the same reason Windows 8 makes me curl up in a ball and curse at myself under my breath. Beautiful, yes, but functional? At least to me, not a chance.

Oh, MAN don't get me started on that. What were they THINKING hiding things behind the?

Ugh, it's too late to get into that.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I tried Chrome. Hated it. FUGLY. It seemed like going back to the dark ages. I almost felt like i was using a Commodore 64.

They want to make it look like Internet Explorer? I don't know if that is going forward.

I think Google is just playing in a territory for which they know little about.