Google remakes its web-based Chrome OS to look more like Windows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Launchpad is garbage. I use spotlight for everything.

I must have missed the memo about your opinion being considered gospel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For someone so open minded, you certainly don't sound like you've given it a fair shake.

I'm one pinch and two clicks away from all of the applications on my computer with Launchpad. I'm x number of key presses and two clicks (I have the shortcut turned off, as I'm using it for something else) away from stuff in Spotlight, and that's a less elegant solution for me.

I use both spotlight and launchpad often. While a lot of times both my hands are on the keyboard, quite often I have one hand on my touchpad or mouse. Launchpad has me usually two mouse-clicks away from what I need. It's useful and has its place just as much as keyboarders that are hot-key pros.

Folks like openminded to simply blanket-insult a function because he thinks it is, is just ignorance.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Well, Google Chrome OS has now copied features from Apple and Microsoft... time to turn it over to Samsung.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:

Were I a betting man, I'd take that bet, only because I know I'd win.

I use Butler, and can probably beat both of you...

Safari: Alt+Space saf<return>

XCode: Alt+Space xc<return>

Lock the system: Alt+Space lock<return>

etc.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The blogger that made that post has now removed the article, no reason given.

It's a broken link

from google

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/

From Microsoft

http://microsoft-news.com/after-andr...to-a-copy-cat/
  • Reply 45 of 61
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

Same was said about Apple in 2007, remember.

Apple has been around since the 1970s. Wasn't google founded in the late 90s?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

You may be using the wrong Google search engine. Try Google Scholar instead to see if you get more appropriate results. You can thank me later.

http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/about.html

He clearly stated that he has considerable experience in libraries and research. Any user who claims to have considerable experience in libraries and research is not going to thank you for a useless recommendation to start searching via Google Scholar.

Google Scholar is for high school research papers, general information literacy education, and research noobs who fail (or refuse) to understand that library resources FAR outpace Google Scholar results. Anything truly useful found using Google Scholar is sure to be obstructed by a pay wall, which is exactly the point made regarding his distaste for Google.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

I use Butler, and can probably beat both of you...

Safari: Alt+Space saf<return>

XCode: Alt+Space xc<return>

Lock the system: Alt+Space lock<return>

etc.

... And my Dad's bigger than your Dad
  • Reply 48 of 61
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    You dimply can't polish a turd.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Maybe Google should give away hardware loaded with Chrome for free. 'seems to work for Nokia and Microsoft. Then claim adoption is great because they shipped <insert number here> of them in such and such quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Chrome OS is dead.

[mind drifts] meanwhile, in Mountain View:

"No, it's still breathing!"

"it's not! This parrot is dead!"

"it's pining for its home in the tropics."

"this parrot is indisputably, unquestionably, irrevocably, incontrovertibly, absolutely and completely dead!!"

"oh ... all right then. how about a budgie?"

• Reply 50 of 61
    They seem to be running out ideas. Profitable ones that is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I tried Chrome. Hated it. FUGLY. It seemed like going back to the dark ages. I almost felt like i was using a Commodore 64.

They want to make it look like Internet Explorer? I don't know if that is going forward.

I think Google is just playing in a territory for which they know little about.

• Reply 51 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am glad they are making Chrome more like a conventional OS.

My current favourite Linux is Debian but if Google started doing a full-on computer OS, not just life support for a browser, I would pay up to $100 for it.

Having a Linux actually commercially supported would be great and I don't like Redhat or Ubuntu.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ®®®®®® View Post

It's a broken link

from google

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/

From Microsoft

http://microsoft-news.com/after-andr...to-a-copy-cat/

Thank you sir! (BTW, the first one isn't actually Google but a blogger who covers Google's OS projects unofficially)
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

He clearly stated that he has considerable experience in libraries and research. Any user who claims to have considerable experience in libraries and research is not going to thank you for a useless recommendation to start searching via Google Scholar.

Google Scholar is for high school research papers, general information literacy education, and research noobs who fail (or refuse) to understand that library resources FAR outpace Google Scholar results. Anything truly useful found using Google Scholar is sure to be obstructed by a pay wall, which is exactly the point made regarding his distaste for Google.

Gosh...

You've made Google Scholar sound more appropriate for research than everyday Google.

Oh wait... it is!

I have no doubt that if the OP has already tried Google Scholar and found it lacking that he would have come right back and said so since he was signed into the thread for some time after I responded and surely noticed my suggestion before he left.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I tried Chrome. Hated it. FUGLY. It seemed like going back to the dark ages. I almost felt like i was using a Commodore 64.

They want to make it look like Internet Explorer? I don't know if that is going forward.

I think Google is just playing in a territory for which they know little about.

Hey, man! Back off the C64!!!

Golden Age of Gaming.

As for Google, what the fc8k to they do again? Apart from over rated search engines? (All Google products have been wiped from my Mac. Copiers! Wannabeees. Ad-men! Ad agency! Ugly! Fugly! Art haters! Snoopers. Circumventors of Safari privacy settings. Kill joys. Pretend smart phone makers. Eric Moles...on the board of Apple board of directors then take that idea and pass it off as your own while making no money at it...serves you right!)

Thermonuclear their ass. Jobs had their number.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Google. Like M$. But with even less class.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Gosh...

You've made Google Scholar sound more appropriate for research than everyday Google.

Oh wait... it is!

I have no doubt that if the OP has already tried Google Scholar and found it lacking that he would have come right back and said so since he was signed into the thread for some time after I responded and surely noticed my suggestion before he left.

Much of what I search for are not in the usual article repositories, and if they are I use my institution's library resources. I find it frustrating that unless you belong to an institution with good digital librarians, you are at the mercy of a corporation

My point is that Google is no longer a reliable index. I have used search terms that should point me to pages that I KNOW FOR CERTAIN EXIST, but for no reason I can deduce give no results. At one point Google was a god-send, now it's just a pain in the ass that only pisses out the information it feels like because it makes cash from someone searching 'Perez Hilton' and not from something specialized, and it's only a matter of time before someone starts an open source web index.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Much of what I search for are not in the usual article repositories, and if they are I use my institution's library resources. I find it frustrating that unless you belong to an institution with good digital librarians, you are at the mercy of a corporation

My point is that Google is no longer a reliable index. I have used search terms that should point me to pages that I KNOW FOR CERTAIN EXIST, but for no reason I can deduce give no results. At one point Google was a god-send, now it's just a pain in the ass that only pisses out the information it feels like because it makes cash from someone searching 'Perez Hilton' and not from something specialized, and it's only a matter of time before someone starts an open source web index.

Any examples of something you know is there but one of the appropriate Google search functions can't find it?

I do a lot of research myself and can't think of any instance where something I knew existed on the web couldn't be located via Google. Sometimes Google Scholar is needed, and there's been times I've needed Google Patent Search (there are other similar services for that BTW) and even Google Books on one occasion. I'm sure it happens that Google can't find something, but I'd wager it's fairly rare.

Standard Google search may not be delivering the results you're looking for if it's a specialized subject. Try the other services, which by the way no other search provider bothers to create, and I think you'll be surprised at what can be found.

http://www.google.com/options/
  • Reply 58 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think there are good arguments going on here.

Let me add to the argument that Google produces nothing good besides Gmail and Search.

There are a lot more things good than some of you realize...

1. Google Chrome Browser: Next to Gmail and search this is by far the best product Google has launched in many years...sure they kind of used ideas from Apple to build it, but they made it sync very well across platforms. They also made is much simpler. Combining the search bar with the address bar is just the natural step and I really with Safari adopts this soon. Apple is all about simplicity aren't they? Google also managed to create a browser that's way faster at initial launch and just overall browsing is way faster than any other browser out there. Safari and Opera users might disagree, but I've done side-by-side comparisons and Chrome beats them all hands down.

2. Google Maps: sure MapQuest and others came first...but Google made maps so much better that even now it's a bit hard find a maps site that can beat it. Bing is nice too, but Google maps was the first to really innovate maps. Including street-view was way ahead of it's time...even though it seemed sort of a "duh" idea to most people...Google made it happen.

3. Cross-platform syncing in Google Chrome: This I haven't seen any equal too. As long as I have a Chrome Browser, I have my bookmarks, my saved searches and passwords, my browser history...and now we have seen syncing opened tabs from other devices syncing cross-platforms. Many argue it's too much big-brother looming over you, but if you have nothing to hide, it's really convenient. Personally, the bookmark sync is the by far the best feature any web browser has done in a long time. Granted I know nothing about Firefox because it's too complicated and the interface is way too busy.

4. Google Calendar: Granted I haven't used iCal much...and I think that's more of an OS thing and not a Web thing...but i've yet to see a web-based calendar that works better, syncs cross-platforms better, is easier to use than Google Calendar. I sync it to my iPhone and it works very seamlessly.

5. Google Docs: Granted I don't use this too often (if at all)...but i think it's ideas like this that really paved the way for iCloud.

What Google needs to do to really compete...quit the dart game. Jobs was quoted in his Bio that he agrees with all of you that say Google just throws things out there to see if they stick. If I remember correctly, SJ said they need to come up with a strategy and focus on how to accomplish that strategy. I listened to an NPR episode that was discussing that very topic. It was explained that Google does this because they have the resources to do it. They treat a lot of this stuff like a "skunk works" of ideas and they don't really care if it fails because they have the money to do it. Some might say that's stupid, but I'm sure that's how a lot of the good things Google has accomplished came to be.

I for one agree 100% with SJ. I would also add to that by saying what I've always said about Google. They have some really great stuff out there, but they don't market it well. Apple has always had the best marketing for their products hands down. These "keynotes" they have when releasing a new product are the best demo's i've ever seen. After seeing a keynote, you pretty much know how to operate their products...granted a LOT of that has to do with the fact that Apple products are so easy to use that these simple keynotes are all you need to demo it. But, I'd argue that Google is very close to this strategy as well, they just don't market themselves the way Apple does. They really need a focus. Throwing darts at the wall gets you in the door, but then you have to really sell yourself to get the job done.

When Google first launched Chrome OS. I watched the Keynote and was really excited about it. That demo was as close as Google ever got to being like Apple...in a good way. But then the iPad came and it should have been dead back then. I'm not sure why they didn't just pull the plug and merge that team with the Android team...try to make a better mobile OS but I don't work at Google.

Regardless I think Google's at a point now where they need to gain better focus...come up with a long-term strategy and implement it if they want to stick around another 12 years.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Well as the only person here who actually owns a Chromebook and has used what you are all complaining about, I really like the new ChromeOS 19. The battery has improved some what I now get almost 9 hours which is incredible. Better memory management, faster UI, nice look and it's still the fastest booting machine I have ever seen.

It's not for everyone but I'm really into cloud computing and it's also a really fun little machine. I have the Samsung version but I replaced the SSD with a 64GB card. It's the perfect machine for someone who knows nothing about computers, turn it on and your surfing.

I also finally figured how to dual boot into Ubuntu with it so that's a plus. You guys should really try it out before passing judgment. You can download a USB live image from http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ . Check it out when you have a free moment you might be pleasantly surprise or not who cares, I like it though.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You dimply can't polish a turd.

Not according to this site -> http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-polish-a-turd/ .