Google tops Apple, Facebook in popularity poll

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

LinkdIn has been *leveraging* their user accounts in mass mailings lately, but they don't sell your info.

Apple doesn't do anything of the sort, doesn't sell your info and doesn't even pass on your email or phone number to third parties (which most stores, banks and financial institutions do also). Apple is cleaner than clean in this regard AFAIK.

Neither does Google. Their privacy policy strictly prohibits it.

Unless of course you have some citation as evidence they do. Whenever you get around to it, no hurry.

FWIW how do you know what Apple passes to their advertisers? They have the same basic privacy policies as Google, with Apple allowing the distribution for any purpose of what they vaguely call non-personal information gathered from it's customer's use of it's services. Google at least defines what that is.

From Apple's Privacy Policy

"We also collect non-personal information − data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose."

EDIT: By the way, Apple considers associating data with a UDID to be an example of non-personal information and thus open game for sharing with anyone Apple wishes to. Many users here would disagree with that I think.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    Quote:

This is just more proof that people are dumbasses.

- The most evil company out there (Google) is rated number one.

- The company that purposely f*cks with your privacy (Facebook) is still loved by the roughly two thirds .

- The company that has no ads, and charges nothing for it's wonderful product is rated the worst.

idiots.

Twitter has Promoted Tweets. Brands can pay Twitter for their tweet(s) to show up at the top of their follower's timelines.

That said, I agree, rating Twitter 4th to Google's 1st is obscene.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

As if we needed more proof...
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

- The most evil company out there (Google) is rated number one.

- The company that purposely f*cks with your privacy (Facebook) is still loved by the roughly two thirds .

- The company that has no ads, and charges nothing for it's wonderful product is rated the worst.

idiots.

You're an angry man Peabody. Always angry.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They polled just over a thousand people to represent the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of users of Google, Apple and Facebook users. That is what's known as a statistical anomaly.

No, it' what is known as sampling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

General surveys range between 1000-1500 respondents. Anything else is excessive.

Not true. It depends on the accuracy that you want. If you're content with a margin of error in the 3% range, you're right. If you want a smaller margin of error, then you need a larger sample size.

Either way, the more important factor is ensuring that the sample is representative. If the sample is not representative, even a sample size of a million doesn't mean very much.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I think you guys just hate that Apple wasn't #1 at something. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't use Google for something at least a dozen times a day.

If your worried that big brother is watching then stay off those sites. I don't care that Google knows that I'm interested in computers, gardening and home improvement because that's basicly all I search for and I never keep private information on the web and that includes the emails I write. Gmail, Analytics, Reader, Youtube, Docs, Maps and custom searching scripts are some of the best services on the internet.

I have every email with extension from the last 15 years, without ever having a problem. Chromium 19 has now replaced Firefox as my new favorite browser. It's a good company and I have no complaints with their products.

You may now continue your public hanging
  • Reply 67 of 67
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The final results tally was posted 4/1 so I would expect the polling to have been done perhaps a week earlier. I also saw the news clip and it was literally 2 days ago. The article says that Project Glass contributed to the popularity rating. Your suggestion that even the media wouldn't have known earlier is even stronger indication that the question was a plant.

I'm also suspicious of what the report means by side projects like Project Glass "add" to Google's popularity. But it seems possible that the report/polling included references or questions about other side projects such as Google's self-driving car but then only cite Project Glass as a soundbite in the report to make it feel more current for more attention.

But I'm most suspicious about what demographic would be aware of or swayed by Google side-projects and at the same time 31% have no opinion or familiarity with Twitter?? That figure alone makes me feel like the demographic is tilted toward pop-culture people not very familiar with technology ? and that group is certainly not savvy enough to be aware of Project Glass or any other Google side project as a Google entity. So the only thing that comes to my mind for recent pop-culture news that might explain that much of a dip in Apple popularity (especially in the younger audience) is the anti-Apple China factory news which was heavily slanted against Apple and excluded the companies that Google relies on for phone/tablet production from the criticism.