Macs again outperform the market as Apple takes 10.6% of US PC shipments [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

autocad?

why not use the mac version?

similar here, I use vmware & parallels (depends) but other engineers here run bootcamp 100% The hardware (mbp 17 mostly) is terrific - rugged, reliable, sleek, but 90% of the software we have to run is all windows. There is NO decent pcb layout / schematic for mac, most of the good cross compilers run only under windows. Some suppliers (microchip) are now offering java based compilers, so they can run windows or linux or mac - but thats rare
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:

autocad?

we are watching the mac version very closely, however we have a significant investment in libraries and custom scripts which do not translate across easily, and have encountered a number of other application inconsistencies which have not (yet) been resolved.

This is an issue only in our commercial department, where external clients insist on working in autocad.

We have approx 200 staff using vectorworks on mac and have a predominantly mac network, so no need to preach to the converted, where there are options they have been taken up.

I would rather our windows machines be macs than noname cheapo hardware, so at least (if) when we are happy with autocad for mac, we just remove windows entirely and have ourselves perfectly good macs again.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

autocad?

I have heard the Windows version is more full featured. Plus if you are in architecture you probably want to couple Autocad with Revit which is only Windows to my knowledge.

I was never very happy running windows on a MBP as the keyboard layout was kind of funky and I couldn't get it to recognize CTL+ AlT+Delete to log into the VPN server. I'd rather use a real Windows machine when I need to run Windows, which isn't that much anymore.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Mathematica (what more do you need, really?) OSX

Matlab OSX

C* OSX

--------------

GLAD (Windows only)

ASAP (Windows only)

Pro-E (Windows only)

Solid Works (Windows only)

ANSYS (Windows only)

---------------

MathCad (doesn't matter... it sucks)
  • Reply 25 of 39
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

Mathematica (what more do you need, really?) OSX

Matlab OSX

C* OSX

--------------

GLAD (Windows only)

ASAP (Windows only)

Pro-E (Windows only)

Solid Works (Windows only)

ANSYS (Windows only)

---------------

MathCad (doesn't matter... it sucks)

you must not know how to use it then
  • Reply 26 of 39
    sidstesidste Posts: 25member
    They never say it, but these numbers for Apple don't look like desktop, laptop or total numbers. Apple sold the following in Cal Q1 2011 (mil)

Desktops 1,009

Laptops 2,751

Total 3,760

So what is 1580 in the table?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

They never say it, but these numbers for Apple don't look like desktop, laptop or total numbers. Apple sold the following in Cal Q1 2011 (mil)

Desktops 1,009

Laptops 2,751

Total 3,760

So what is 1580 in the table?

isn't this article about US only?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have heard the Windows version is more full featured. Plus if you are in architecture you probably want to couple Autocad with Revit which is only Windows to my knowledge.

I was never very happy running windows on a MBP as the keyboard layout was kind of funky and I couldn't get it to recognize CTL+ AlT+Delete to log into the VPN server. I'd rather use a real Windows machine when I need to run Windows, which isn't that much anymore.

it's just a question of time before windows becomes totally expendable for everyone.

it's going to be good for every human being.. even those that prefer windows.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    So, i hear about Samsung being some major player, they weren't even listed on either list. They must be one of the 'others'
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

As a Mac owner who uses Windows exclusively, I expect to see Apple providing better support (in the form of updates) for Windows users, for example firmware updates.

Is this for real? You should expect Microsoft to give you better support for Windows users.....but that is probably to much to ask.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Solidworks (last i looked only windows)

MathCad(last i looked only windows)

and a program i had to use to program a board i used for projects, that was called ardiuno

but i am mechanical as well and as far as i know, and i haven't looked in a while

all three of those are windows only

Solidworks and Arduino both have been ported for Mac. Indeed, they're easier to use (especially for Arduino, since Widows requires drivers whereas Mac just works) and setup than their Windows counterparts. The only one is MathCAD, but given that it had a classic version for Mac, it's only a matter of time before it gets ported over properly.

Personally, I prefer AutoCAD or Maya for 3D modeling/animations, but to each their own.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple only sold 60,614 additional units YoY. I'll have to look previous years but that's looking like even Apple is being affected by the drop in PC sales which I hadn't seen before.

But they sold a whole lot of iPads in that same period. Does it count? Macs alone = somewhat flat, but Macs + iPads = phenomenal growth?

In fact, some analysts are giving numbers including the iPad, which skews everything pretty significantly. I'm still on the fence whether iPad should be counted in the same category as laptop and desktop computers...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

As a Mac owner who uses Windows exclusively, I expect to see Apple providing better support (in the form of updates) for Windows users, for example firmware updates.

Good luck with that. It has never happened. Overall it's not that bad. Just don't expect it to be their primary focus. Apple probably ran the numbers and found not many people do this, and when you're in their minority, you get ignored. The other oems aren't much better in this regard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As someone who is in the minority (you), and lord only knows how small a minority that is, don't hold your breath.

The days when Windows running on Macs was a necessary selling point are long gone. Yes, you can run Windows on a Mac, in some form, but it isn't incumbent on Apple to provide you with a first-rate experience in that area.

So you can "expect" it, and keep expecting it, but it's doubtful that Apple will make much more of an effort than what you're seeing currently.

He's better off simply owning a Windows PC if he only runs Windows.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

What is it that you're missing? Apple doesn't update Boot Camp all that frequently, but I haven't heard of any major issues. If it's working, why change it? What isn't working about it?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I knew a guy in college that did that. 17" MacBook Pro, Windows 7. Had removed OS X entirely.

Why not, Apple Macbooks make really good Windows machines. If that's what you like then so be it there's no reason to laugh. I personaly run Solaris 11 but I don't use it 100% of the time though, just at work.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What is it that you're missing? Apple doesn't update Boot Camp all that frequently, but I haven't heard of any major issues. If it's working, why change it? What isn't working about it?

There were a couple of issues a while back like the fan speeds and flickering screen but I didn't notice any problems when I installed Windows 8 for testing. Windows 8 actually runs quite good on my little Air 11 inch. My favorite little computer. Now if I can only figure out how to put the screen from my new iPad into that. Then life would be perfect.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StUnT66 View Post

So where's Lenovo on the chart?

Under Others.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And kind of conflicting numbers too!

Can you show us where please.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Solidworks and Arduino both have been ported for Mac. Indeed, they're easier to use (especially for Arduino, since Widows requires drivers whereas Mac just works) and setup than their Windows counterparts. The only one is MathCAD, but given that it had a classic version for Mac, it's only a matter of time before it gets ported over properly.

Personally, I prefer AutoCAD or Maya for 3D modeling/animations, but to each their own.

I just moved over to Blender from Maya, pretty great program.