Famous designer says Apple will reveal 'revolutionary' product within 8 months

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It is just Steve reaching out from the other side to yet again creating an interest in what Apple is doing.

I agree with most people here, if it is a TV so what, we all have one and most people do not recycle their TV all that often, Most people hang on to their TV 10 plus years or not more. I do not see people going out and buying or replacing a TV if they already spend $1000 plus for a big screen.

I challenge people to come up with the next great consumer electronic that everyone must have at a cost point that people will not think twice about. I can not see any thing on the horizon that I must have. This is the challenge Apple has in the next 5 yrs. Yes People would like a better TV experience of any content at any time where they want, but the entire video delivery model today is so screw up and they is no kill app or product which will fix it the next year. The entire systems will have to evolve over the next 10 yrs.
  • Reply 82 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Okay firstly it is Bauhaus, secondly those rooms are not Victorian but French Neo-Classisical from the Louis XV and XVI periods. Most importantly that "guy" is consider one of the most influential designers of the past 20 years and has designed furniture, home decorative objects and hotels. Mr Ive's most notably work is with Apple exclusively.

The only thing I agree with you on is the photograph used in this advertisement which was produced by the manufacturer not Mr. Starck, is not great and has poor styling.

Not so up on punctuation, are you?

Sounds like the kind of copy that melds perfectly with this Starck guy's design sensibilities.....
  • Reply 83 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Regardless of what you think or why you yourself buy Apple products the truth is a good majority of people buy Apple devices because they are "sleek and sexy"

Really?

Did you make that up or do you have proof?
  • Reply 84 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whatever it is, it's not a TV, for heaven's sake.

Don't be so sure.
  • Reply 85 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Didn't Apple already make a resolutionary product this year? Oh, nvm.

No, they made an evolutionary product.
  • Reply 86 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Very good mediathink here.

I see thataveragejoe called you out on the big bad "Content Issue" above. Everybody says it's all about the content. Maybe not true?generally the more people say something is true, the less true it probably is.

A well-connected iPanel that's easy to use is going to find a world of content open up that is far beyond the canned programming from the Old Providers. Content in the old sense will be obsolete just as it is for internet-connected computers.

I agree 100%. I think people are missing that the issue is that a TV has a lousy user interface. I think that what we'll get is an iPanel with AirPlay to the 'remote' but the REMOTE is your iPhone, your iPad, or perhaps a dedicated internet TV device with a touch interface (7" tablet that is design).

The simplicity is in the UI in the hand; it can play one thing on the screen and you can browse to select the next thing on the iPanel.
  • Reply 87 of 180
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'm convinced they're going to make a new product for automobiles.

An Apple 7" touchscreen on the dashboard with a non-beta Siri and Maps would be killer. Have it automatically sync with iCloud and iMatch and pull anything from iOS devices in range and you've got a product no one can match.

Add to that the fact that current audio/map interfaces in cars ALL SUCK. Now you've got a winner.

I wonder if they would come out with some way to link to your current car speakers, or if they would have their own speakers that you would place around the inside of the car? Stupid question probably, but it's non-trivial for a person to install their own car audio equipment...

Back in the days when a majority of autos used DIN-sized radios that weren't tied into the HVAC system, this might have been possible. But now that replacing radios is a really big deal, if not impossible in so many cars, I can't see Apple getting involved in this. And while Apple would have loved to do an OEM deal with a car manufacturer 15 years ago, those numbers are quite small compared to what Apple is doing today. There's also the issue of driver distraction if you built in iPad or equivalent into a dashboard.

So while Apple might convince some car manufacturers to provide easier integration (with cables or mounts), I don't think a built-in car stereo/iPad is what we're talking about here.

I agree with those who say that the term "revolutionary" is thrown around far too much these days. It's just hype.

I believe he probably is referring to an Apple TV, which I expect to be disappointing and/or way overpriced (although not necessarily unsuccessful). In the long run (and I'm talking 10 to 20 years from now), I expect Apple to be a robotics company. You heard it here first.

Once Apple releases a new product, everyone feels that it was obvious, but here we are, trying to imagine what a new revolutionary Apple product would be and no one can really come up with anything that hasn't already been rumored. It just goes to show how much genius there actually is at Apple. If Apple was able to again come up with a completely new product category that became a major part of their business and didn't substantially erode their other product lines, it would probably be the most extraordinary thing ever achieved by a business and the stock probably would hit $1000, as some pundits have predicted. The real question is that now that Apple is so large, can they still produce great products when they must appeal to a mass consumer audience. Apple is no longer producing BMWs; they're producing Fords. High quality Fords with elegant designs, but Fords nonetheless.
  • Reply 88 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I wonder if it's a new product category... Revolutionary is a bold declaration and I'm excited to learn more.

You have to remember however, that designers tend to throw around that "revolutionary" word a lot, and that Phillipe Starck, while an excellent designer, is also a gigantic egomaniac (even by famous designer standards).
  • Reply 89 of 180
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    That's not victorian... it looks like Paris

Apart from that, Stark has been proven several times to have his interns do his job and get the praises and the money. Check out the story of the logo of the French presidency of the european union which proves that point.
  • Reply 90 of 180
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    My personal guess: Apple will put out the iCar, a car that answers to your voice. Or the iYacht, an affordable yacht for every millionaire. Or maybe the iCyborg, an apple servant that fetches your coffee...
  • Reply 91 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This guy's design sense sucks.

He puts Bauhous inspired furniture in a Victorian setting. The couch on the right sticks out into the doorway. The one on the left blocks the radiator. The heat will ruin the leather, and it is facing nowhere.

The photo sucks too. It is overexposed in the bright parts, and underexposed elsewhere. The iPod column fades into the darkness behind it. The other one is in the middle of the floor, waiting to be bumped into.

How is this picture supposed to showcase the work of a talented designer?

Besides all that, he is a blabbermouth!

You are mixing up practicality with "design sense," most of your objections are practical ones in regards to what you see in that one picture and nothing to do with "design sense" at all. Then you criticise the photographer who took the one picture you base all this stuff on?

Phillipe Starck is by all accounts a gigantic, a-hole, egomaniac, but he is also one of the most successful designers who ever lived and highly regarded by almost everyone in the field.

The things I can't understand about this news, are:

- Starck's reputation is built mostly on furniture design and household accessories so this only really makes sense if Apple is designing a lamp or a couch.

- Ive is a designer of the same calibre, I don't understand why they would go to Starck and why Ive wouldn't be totally upset about that.

- The most likely new product is the TV, but the best design for a TV is a simple black slab. there is literally nothing to "design" on a TV set except the internals.

I totally agree bout the blabbermouth thing, but he is French after all. If Steve Jobs was still alive he would be in deep trouble I think. The very fact that he announced it ahead of time himself is a gigantic ego move on his part.
  • Reply 92 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Very good mediathink here.

I must add that there should also be wearable stereovision screens, iGlasses, that sync to your iPanel before you leave home. They'll have to buy that name if they want to use it, though.

Edit: I see thataveragejoe called you out on the big bad "Content Issue" above. Everybody says it's all about the content. Maybe not true—generally the more people say something is true, the less true it probably is. As you probably know, the rule in post-McLuhan media thought is that it's the medium that matters more than the content. A well-connected iPanel that's easy to use is going to find a world of content open up that is far beyond the canned programming from the Old Providers. Content in the old sense will be obsolete just as it is for internet-connected computers.

Really? Live events such as sports, or local newscasts are obsolete? Apple has a way to crack that?

I'm not suggesting that an iPanel wouldn't be awesome, at all. More like until Apple has a way to change the medium (which ironically even home internet is still controlled by the cable companies) it's really just another take on a 'smart' TV that will still need to slave to a cable box and not really revolutionary.
  • Reply 93 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

... and fruit juice is bad for you.

Ridiculous claptrap.
  • Reply 94 of 180
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You have to remember however, that designers tend to throw around that "revolutionary" word a lot, and that Phillipe Starck, while an excellent designer, is also a gigantic egomaniac (even by famous designer standards).

He is also famous for smelling really, really bad. I still dig some of his work though.
  • Reply 95 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Blabbing **** can't keep his mouth shut.

You realise the word you used is as offensive as the "n-word" right?

I hope someday you need help and the only one around to help you is one of "those people."
  • Reply 96 of 180
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The design work of Starck is wide reaching, ranging from products like toothbrushes and motorcycles to furnishings, building interiors, and even windmills.

As the photo shows, Starck is one of those design figs who sacrifices comfort for look. Check out that low-backed, back-pain couch

and the narrow-backed, unpadded, arm-fatigue, armless dining-room chairs. Like the plastic seats at Burger King and McDonald's,

that furniture for children and emaciated, stick-figure runts is bound to get rid of guests in 20 minutes, as it's furniture on which an

adult American will never relax.

Then, there are his overpriced, oddball devices for the home: They always end up on Target's end-caps as clearance items, because

there are never enough retail-slave design figs to buy them. From sky-blue-plastic-accented kettles (Who the FK uses a kettle,

these days, instead of a microwave oven?) to odd-looking, odd-sized, odd-shaped, sky-blue-plastic-accented toilet-brush holders,

the sensible consumer's reaction is: "WTF? Starck's ugly, misshapen junk is an eyesore, and the fartwork appliance's odd angles,

bulges, etc. won't let it stack or fit alongside anything else nearby.
    "

So, his "revolutionary" comment makes me cringe, just like the heavier, thicker, yawn-inducing iPad 3: More of Apple's HYPE,

channeled through another fawning parasite.

P.S. I wish I could have accented this post with sky-blue plastic.

• Reply 97 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John F. View Post

Starck is no Dieter Rams! Why would Jobs meet with him? Dieter Rams I would believe.

Starck produces tons of middle of the road junk and puts his silly name on lots of things he had no hand in designing, but ....

... he is also responsible for quite a few beautiful, perfect, iconic designs that will live on at least as long as Dieter Rams' stuff in museums and design history books etc.

We can only hope that this is one of his good ones.
  • Reply 98 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

The whole point of Apple's, let's say, "iPanel", is that it will simplify and diversify the availability of content. Isn't that just what Apple has always done?

Isn't that really just an Apple take on the smart TV, or the current Apple TV expanded in some way?

Quote:

Come through with negotiations over incredibly difficult/stingy/seemingly unsurmountable industries (music, mobile networks, etc.)? What makes the television/motion picture industries any different? Even if they don't win them all in the beginning, they will after they winning the market with their stunning TV-replacement.

No music and TV are two very different animals. Music isn't live, it isn't already fed into every house (short of useless FM radio) it isn't bundled, it isn't controlled and delivered by the same vehicle, and on and on...Music NEEDED a medium to reach the audience better for the 21st century, what the Industry didn't like was the aggressive pricing, but that's a different story. In this case Apple would want to be a middle man in something that doesn't want one.

Quote:

You're being one of those people who doubted Apple could find success in music players, phones, or tablets. Now more than ever all the evidence is pointing toward this project being extremely successful. Not to mention that it is prime time, considering the tv market is in crisis.

Useless personal attack in which you have no proof of. I own each first gen model of each device you listed, so no. The rest...sources? I'm hopeful it would be successful but there's no evidence, just mere speculation based on hope. TV is hardly in 'crisis'

Quote:

You don't have to have faith in, or even be a fan of Apple to see this. It's logic. Just look at the numbers.

WHat logic? what numbers?
  • Reply 99 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

He is also famous for smelling really, really bad. I still dig some of his work though.

I haven't met him in person but from what I've seen and heard of him I can't stand the man.

However, I own some of his work. Good design is good design regardless of the personality (or lack of one), of the designer.
  • Reply 100 of 180
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Is it any coincidence that 8 months from now also happens to be the same time that experts predict the world will come to an end? I think not!

Experts? Really? Ooookay. Don't drink the Kool-aid!