Apple expected to report sales of 33M iPhones, 12M iPads to start 2012

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

With Apple to report its earnings in just a week and a half, the company is projected to reveal sales of 33 million iPhones and 12 million iPads to kick off calendar 2012.

Those are the the latest projections from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, whose numbers differ from the average expectations on Wall Street. Munster's 33 million iPhone projection is a bit higher than the Street's forecast of 30.5 million handsets, while his forecast of 12 million iPads is slightly below the Street's 13 million.

Munster also sees Apple reporting sales of 4.3 million Macs in the three-month span from January to March, slightly below Wall Street's expected 4.4 million.

If Apple's actual results are in line with the last four years, it will report 6 percent upside on its revenue, and 16 percent upside to earnings per share. That would imply March revenue of $38.3 billion and earnings per share of $11.41, compared to Wall Street expectations of $36.2 billion in revenue and $9.86 EPS.

On the iPhone, Munster said the record 37 million iPhones that Apple sold in the holiday season of 2011 is evidence of the handset's growing global footprint. He thinks the next major catalyst for the company will be the launch of a sixth-generation iPhone later this year, though he also expects Apple to announce a full-fledged television set late in the December quarter, with sales starting in 2013.

On the iPad, Munster said he isn't concerned that Apple may not meet the Street's expectations of 13 million units sold. He believes most investors will give the company a pass, given that the new iPad got off to a record start, with 3 million units sold in its first three days, in mid-March.

"We note that wait-times on Apple's online store remain at 1-2 weeks for all versions of the iPad, suggesting that healthy demand remains," he noted.

Piper Jaffray has reiterated its "overweight" rating for AAPL stock, and also maintained its $910 12-month price target. Earlier this month, Munster also predicted that Apple would become the world's first trillion-dollar company by market cap in calendar year 2014.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    In other news, a clairvoyant in Wyoming has foretold that I once had a relative called Daisy. ....
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I just want to know how much missed earnings is going to cause Apple shares to fall. I need to be prepared. Google missed a number and the stock climbed. If Apple misses anything, the stock will likely fall. The only quarter that can be counted on is the holiday quarter. Any other quarter and it's a 50/50 chance for shareholders to get some good news. Apple's share price has already been driven down the past few days and it doesn't look to rebound any time soon. Munster can't be depended upon for any accurate projections, so investors are no better off listening to his prattle. No investors are going to be giving Apple a pass if they miss iPad sales, that's for sure. There's far too many people on Wall Street happy to drive Apple's share price lower. Any minor sales miss will be seen as a disaster for Apple no matter how much revenue is pulled in.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I just want to know how much missed earnings is going to cause Apple shares to fall.

A lot. Sell now!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    What is this analyst's track record in predicting Apple's quarterly numbers?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    I think Apple has peaked. The quarterly results could be a real bloodbath for investors.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:

I just want to know how much missed earnings is going to cause Apple shares to fall. I need to be prepared. Google missed a number and the stock climbed. If Apple misses anything, the stock will likely fall. The only quarter that can be counted on is the holiday quarter. Any other quarter and it's a 50/50 chance for shareholders to get some good news. Apple's share price has already been driven down the past few days and it doesn't look to rebound any time soon. Munster can't be depended upon for any accurate projections, so investors are no better off listening to his prattle. No investors are going to be giving Apple a pass if they miss iPad sales, that's for sure. There's far too many people on Wall Street happy to drive Apple's share price lower. Any minor sales miss will be seen as a disaster for Apple no matter how much revenue is pulled in.

Yikes, you're a worry wart. These are the exact investors AAPL doesn't need.

I'm trying to keep myself from buying on these current artificial dips so IN CASE Wall Street doesn't favor what will be nonetheless solid fundamental numbers from Apple, I can have enough cash to buy more on those much more substantial dips. Shorters will have a time with wherever AAPL goes, but Longs will get to their destination one way or another.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I think Apple has peaked.

Idiotic.

Even if Wall Street doesn't favor the results of this quarter, AAPL will rise well past its current levels, sooner or later.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Er, google's stock is down like 3% today (of course Apple's is too).
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

I think Apple has peaked. The quarterly results could be a real bloodbath for investors.

what are you basing this on?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Whatever anyone else who's said this everyday for the past 10 years has based it on- the voices in their head, or silly and irrelevant comparisons to other companies and an ignorance of what makes Apple successful. Apple has not even come CLOSE to peaking. There are major markets they have hardly any presence in, their sales numbers stil have a tremendous amount of upwards growth potential.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stock went down today. Apple is OBVIOUSLY doomed. Hit its peak at the last high number, so we're done now. Sell.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Idiotic.

Even if Wall Street doesn't favor the results of this quarter, AAPL will rise well past its current levels, sooner or later.

Agreed.

Buying opportunity coming up over the next 8 months.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

You sound like a real genius.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stock went down today. Apple is OBVIOUSLY doomed. Hit its peak at the last high number, so we're done now. Sell.

That's why I don't follow the day to day changes in Apple's stock. I'm in for the long hall. Yesterday Google was up like ~$15, today they're down ~$20 so far. Most analysts are talking out of their rear end and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Just this morning on CNBC some "analyst" predicted Google would top $1000 before Apple. Based on nothing other than pulling a number out of his a** that will get him a TV spot on CNBC.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Valve will buy Apple
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Horribly written graph. However, if I'm reading it right, it says that the street just regurgitates Apple's guidance (on average) within a couple of percent - and then Apple consistently beats the guidance by double digit percentages for the past 2 years. Yet the street never caught on and continues to simply regurgitate Apple's guidance.

So why do we need the analysts in the first place?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Horribly written graph. However, if I'm reading it right, it says that the street just regurgitates Apple's guidance (on average) within a couple of percent - and then Apple consistently beats the guidance by double digit percentages for the past 2 years. Yet the street never caught on and continues to simply regurgitate Apple's guidance.

So why do we need the analysts in the first place?

Exactly. BTW, the track record of the professional analysts is absolutely horrid.

Here's my opinion: Based on the late entry of the iPhone 4s and it's ultra-high demand, along with a successful iPad launch, I fully expect Apple to match its holiday quarter's revenue and earnings. That would be in line with what happened last year, BTW.

That means Apple will come in at $46 billion in revenue and $13.9 billion in earnings, boosting year over year earnings to $42/share. It will absolutely slay the estimates of the professionals - again.

Apple stock is set to explode - again.

• Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Valve will buy Apple

I heard Tim was there yesterday begging them to buy Apple. The guy has no pride in how he begs, it's pathetic.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Don't discount "The Apple Whisperer", Gene Munster. In the world of Apple-yapping Anal-ists, Munster seems to at least do his homework and stick to his calls on AAPL.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/90613729/?cmpid=yhoo
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Great idea