A true apple for the masses

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I realize this isn't really following the current trend of speculating about how fast the next powermac will be but here goes....

What I would really like to see from apple is a true computer for the masses. I am not talking about cheap iMacs, I mean a real computer to bring technology to those who never had access before.

allong the lines of <a href="http://www.simputer.org"; target="_blank">the simputer</a>. I think that with apples history of rugged thoughtfull design they could contribute a great deal to the development of third world computing.

My idea runs something along these lines:

sub 400mhz G3 processor or possibly arm based.

64-128 Mb ram

sub 3Gb hd

ati portable graphics chip

12v, usb, modem and 10base t ethernet ports

stripped down version of osX tweaked for black and white use.

10" or smaller b/w or color screen.

b/w version around $200 color $3-400

The device would be a tablet form factor with a built in battery for a couple hours battery life. The device would not be designed as a portable computer but a battery would help in areas with frequent power outages. Primary input would be via stylus but a keyboard could be added via usb.

I think apple's experience with GUI design would be ideal for designing an interface that is useable by those who cannot read or have poor reading and writing skills.

any thoughts?

edit- i suspect that apple would probably want to use another brand besides macintosh for this product but I think this market is one with growth potential. I also think those of us lucky enough to live in a country with access to technology would like a cool little gizmo to play with.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Mike D ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Have you used the Unix Grass version on OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>Have you used the Unix Grass version on OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah but it still runs in an x window system.. I am hoping that the recent port of tcl/tk to darwin will help in compiling tcltk grass on osx without the middleman.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    not bad... but you're getting waht you pay for...

And you're not paying for a lot!

Steve: We're dipping down into the pig through, and we're selling our new mac for 5 easy payements of 49.99!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by vvedge:

<strong>not bad... but you're getting waht you pay for...

And you're not paying for a lot!

Steve: We're dipping down into the pig through, and we're selling our new mac for 5 easy payements of 49.99!</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah but thats the point, I am talking about a basic tool alowing people in poor countries to communicate and conduct buisiness with those who wouldn't even have given them the time of day because they aren't "wired". This is getting back to the basics of what a computer can be. I am not sugesting that apple throw out some little box, call it a mac and expect people to be impressed.

Apple should take advantage of all the advanced hardware they are no longer selling (iMac plastic technology, newtonesqe input methods, some of the prosessors they can't use anymore) and extend their life by combining them into a simple device that can run basic software programs and access networks.

Apple made its mark by creating computers that ordinary people were comforable with, why not extend that to computers that the whole world can be comfortable using?

This product wouldn't compete with "comodity" pc's it would be a separate market entirely.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Mike D ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ahh... but that method depends on two things.

A government willing to invest in the education of its people

and people who have the luxury of going to school.

Many places in world have neither of those things. Often people in third world countries have to help their families in the fields or at the factory or whereever. They don't have time to attend a normal school.

A GUI can be designed so that one dosen't nesisarily have to know how to read to use it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    I don't think this is a market that will interest Apple too much, the margin is too low.

From another standpoint, it would make much more sense for such a machine to be developed and built in the country of use, this would vastly reduce the apparent cost.

BTW many "developing" countries have literacy rates better than those in the USA, their leaders do care about education, but a lot of time is spent trying to stop so-called "developed" countries using "aid" budgets to sell them things they can't afford and don't need. Look at the state of Argentina if you want an example of the effects of lending for useless projects to a politically acceptable regime. And look at the recent British decision to sell a state-of-the art air traffic control system to Tanzania in spite of the opposition of it's minister for overseas development.

Michael
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike D:

<strong>

Yeah but it still runs in an x window system.. I am hoping that the recent port of tcl/tk to darwin will help in compiling tcltk grass on osx without the middleman.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Still using AI and map publisher and MacDEM. Any sites talking about GRASS use?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by mmicist:

<strong>I don't think this is a market that will interest Apple too much, the margin is too low.

From another standpoint, it would make much more sense for such a machine to be developed and built in the country of use, this would vastly reduce the apparent cost.

BTW many "developing" countries have literacy rates better than those in the USA, their leaders do care about education, but a lot of time is spent trying to stop so-called "developed" countries using "aid" budgets to sell them things they can't afford and don't need. Look at the state of Argentina if you want an example of the effects of lending for useless projects to a politically acceptable regime. And look at the recent British decision to sell a state-of-the art air traffic control system to Tanzania in spite of the opposition of it's minister for overseas development.

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunatly you are right, apple probably won't touch this with a twenty foot pole. It is a shame that so many projects like this stall because they don't have the resources or experience that companies like apple have in design and manufacturing.

A great deal of Argentinas problems stem from the recent move to an open currency after many years with a fixed dollar. I have no idea how to fix their problems (finding a president that will stick around for longer than a couple days would be a start)

or Tanzania (the whole thing about using british aid to buy a british air traffic control system is shady and more like an indirect corperate gift than forign aid if you ask me).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>

Still using AI and map publisher and MacDEM. Any sites talking about GRASS use?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I use ArgGIS on a windoze box and Freehand with map publisher on a mac. Grass is just kind of a new toy for me but it has great potential. Check out this <a href="http://www.openosx.com"; target="_blank">site</a> they sell a disc that installs all the stuff you need to run grass. The dude that owns the company did much of the work to get it running under osX. He also contributes to the main project <a href="http://www.baylor.edu/grass/"; target="_blank">at baylor</a>.

I would love to dump esri from my life... I am not at all happy with the performance of their newer software.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike D:

<strong>

I use ArgGIS on a windoze box and Freehand with map publisher on a mac. Grass is just kind of a new toy for me but it has great potential. Check out this <a href="http://www.openosx.com"; target="_blank">site</a> they sell a disc that installs all the stuff you need to run grass. The dude that owns the company did much of the work to get it running under osX. He also contributes to the main project <a href="http://www.baylor.edu/grass/"; target="_blank">at baylor</a>.

I would love to dump esri from my life... I am not at all happy with the performance of their newer software.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info. ESRI is as bad as M$ to me.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    In some ways yep... ESRI really needs a serious competitor, they can get away with releasing crap software because there are no alternatives. Unfortunatly most governments (especially local) are in ESRI's pocket because they get free software through grants.

you might also want to check out <a href="http://www.cartagis.com/index.html"; target="_blank">cartagis</a> there product isn't ready yet but it looks promising.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Mike D ]</p>