Apple rumored to launch with 6M of sub-$300 'iPad mini' this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Why is everyone always so negative.

I think this will happen and it will be the star of the show at this year?s iPod media event.

All the new autos are trying to adopt iPad. It could replace radio, GPS and other gadgets in every new car in few years!
  • Reply 42 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Seems to me that the key is having a device that you can easily pocket ...

Not to pick on your eminently reasonable post but everyone keeps talking about "pocket ability" without remembering the obvious which is that we all have vastly different sized pockets.

North Americans generally have small pockets and an exaggerated idea of what kind of gear is "too much to carry" whereas some people from other countries may have voluminous pockets in their capes, burkas etc. and be totally okay with packing around twice as much gear as someone from California might be.

Even if we stick to North America, richer men wear blazers and suit coats that can easily "pocket" a small tablet, but working class guys might not ever have a piece of clothing with that kind of pocket room. Women will consider anything they can throw in their purse or a similar sized bag to their purse to be perfectly okay, whereas a guy that's not used to carrying a bag might balk at the iPad because he will have to either carry it around or buy a bag for it.

For these and many other reasons I find the whole "pocketable" argument to be ridiculous given that there is never going to be a clear definition of exactly what size that is.

People will carry with them whatever they think it is that they need and if they aren't carrying your device around it's because the pain of carrying it around, overcame the percieved need the consumer had for it.

At this point the technology is on the bleeding edge. It's far easier to increase the desirability of the product (need) than it is to decrease the weight, or the size of it. I would think Apple will go that way and just keep making the iPad so indispensable that it doesn't matter what size it is. People will have to have it and they will make all the associated sacrifices on their own.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    I remember when Apple introduced the Shuffle (flash based). At the time they had zero market share in this segment. By the following Friday they 80%...

I think they will introduce a 7", if nothing else, but stop other companies getting any sort of traction in the tablet market.... I own an iPhone 4s...and I will buy one!
  • Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, $3 B a year isn't worth pursuing.

10 M of these tablets at $300 is $3 B - not counting any other benefits.

Yeah, some or a lot of that $3B will not come from iPad sales...

/reverence.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    scadesscades Posts: 35member
    I don't understand the incredulity or the hostility to this rumor. All of the negative responses to the form-factor are reasonable IF the device is designed simply as a mini-iPad. But I don't believe that will be its intent.

A friend gave my wife a Kindle for Christmas. Unlike me, she's an ordinary" person (only with respect to technology, of course), but (like me) is also a confirmed Apple user. She loves the Kindle for its intended purpose. For before-sleep reading it's lighter, she says, than a paperback, and when she's traveling she can bring multiple books along in her purse, all, of course, on the Kindle.

Apple wants people to buy their books through their e-book site, not Amazon's. While a mini iPad may be used the same way its big brother is, that's not it's intent. If introduced, it will be marketed as a Kindle/Nook killer. All else is secondary.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For these and many other reasons I find the whole "pocketable" argument to be ridiculous given that there is never going to be a clear definition of exactly what size that is.

Anything even a little bit bigger than the iPhone 4/4S is too big to fit comfortably in a pocket. That much has already been decided upon.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    Quote:

Anything even a little bit bigger than the iPhone 4/4S is too big to fit comfortably in a pocket. That much has already been decided upon. Apple picked the one and only perfect size, and that is why the iPhone has such a "tiny" screen.
  • Reply 48 of 129
    I would love to have the option to buy a 7" iPod touch. Part of the reason why Apple dominated the PMP market was that they had every price point covered. Right now Samsung is working very hard to cover every tablet pricepoint/size category. Apple needs to make a move in the 5-7" tablet space. The touch would be the way to go. Keep the iPad brand premium with the current screen size.
  • Reply 49 of 129
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

Exactly:

2) Should have phone capabilities (why all iPads don't have that is beyond me).

As far as I'm concerned, it could cost a lot more as long as it's pocket size.

Skype allows the iPad to funtion as a phone and has almost from day one. Now if by phone capabilities it should be a "cell phone " that is just silly.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Anything even a little bit bigger than the iPhone 4/4S is too big to fit comfortably in a pocket. That much has already been decided upon. Apple picked the one and only perfect size, and that is why the iPhone has such a "tiny" screen.

Wait, who decided, ah Apple so it must be written in stone. I can't wait for Apple to come out with a larger screened iPhone just to hear that you bought it and state it's the perfect size.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wait, who decided, ah Apple so it must be written in stone. I can't wait for Apple to come out with a larger screened iPhone just to hear that you bought it and state it's the perfect size.

Look, don't reply to him if you want to hold a serious conversation, ma'am. He's not worth your time.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, don't reply to him if you want to hold a serious conversation, ma'am. He's not worth your time.

Oh is that it, I thought I was going crazy or something.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    If Apple came out with a 7" device, I would use that more often than the 10" version. I don't always need a larger screen and when using most of the social media apps (twitter/Facebook, etc.) you don't really need the larger screen size.

When I'm at home, the 10" iPad is great and saves me from powering on my laptop all the time. But for walking around the city and having to carry something, I prefer the smaller size. Most of the people I hang around with in North America, specially during the warmer weather, wear cargo pants or shorts that have the bigger pockets. Right now I have a Blackberry Playbook that I carry around only because of the smaller size and it fits in my pocket.

Found that when I took my iPad with me, I always had to carry some kind of bag/backpack as well or else, when walking around, I would have to carry the iPad in my hand. So many times I've gone to a store and when paying for something, I'd have to put the iPad on the counter so that I could pay, then start walking away without picking up the iPad (then rushing back to pick it up again). With the Playbook, fits in my cargo shorts pocket and have never had to worry about forgetting it. And the only reason I use the Playbook is because of the size (since there aren't a whole lot of apps for it yet). But luckily, the apps I use have Playbook versions.

Also, like the article says, apps created for the original iPad and for the iPad 2, would not need to be rewritten. The apps would fit the screen size, although shrunk down, so developers wouldn't have to make any changes to their programs.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Skype allows the iPad to funtion as a phone and has almost from day one. Now if by phone capabilities it should be a "cell phone " that is just silly.

Well I don't know my Samsung 7'7" has phone capabilities and I use it in conjuction with a bluetooth handsfree or speakerphone. Quite useful even even if it's not used all the time. Once you add celluar tech it's very simple to make it into a phone. There is a project now that makes the iPad 3G/4G into a phone as long as it's Jail Broken.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    Quote:

I've said nothing that has not previously been said here at least 100 times.

1. A UI designed for a 10 inch tablet will not work well on a 7 inch tablet.

2. A larger iPhone would not fit comfortably into a pocket.

Either refute the standard wisdom, or don't.
  • Reply 56 of 129
    Quote:

Not to pick on your eminently reasonable post but everyone keeps talking about "pocket ability" without remembering the obvious which is that we all have vastly different sized pockets.

North Americans generally have small pockets and an exaggerated idea of what kind of gear is "too much to carry" whereas some people from other countries may have voluminous pockets in their capes, burkas etc. and be totally okay with packing around twice as much gear as someone from California might be.

Even if we stick to North America, richer men wear blazers and suit coats that can easily "pocket" a small tablet, but working class guys might not ever have a piece of clothing with that kind of pocket room. Women will consider anything they can throw in their purse or a similar sized bag to their purse to be perfectly okay, whereas a guy that's not used to carrying a bag might balk at the iPad because he will have to either carry it around or buy a bag for it.

People will carry with them whatever they think it is that they need and if they aren't carrying your device around it's because the pain of carrying it around, overcame the percieved need the consumer had for it.

At this point the technology is on the bleeding edge. It's far easier to increase the desirability of the product (need) than it is to decrease the weight, or the size of it. I would think Apple will go that way and just keep making the iPad so indispensable that it doesn't matter what size it is. People will have to have it and they will make all the associated sacrifices on their own.

It's simple. You make a device that is pocketable by the vast majority of customers in the most significant markets and go from there. It hardly matters that in sort parts of the world a Touch with a 7-inch screen would be pocketable because I doubt Apple is going to make different Touch models for different markets. As such, for this to work you'd need a device that would meet the standard of fitting in the smallest of adult pockets (I'm sure a two-year-old's pockets would have a hard time accommodating the current Touch) and hence qualify as a pocketable device in any of the markets Apple sells in. After all if it fits in a smaller pocket it fits in a larger one.

To me the sweet spot would likely be something like a device with a screen just shy of 5 inches. Of course if you bring out such a version of the Touch, it does mean no iPad Mini because there would just be too much overlap in terms of price. That doesn't seem to me to make sense. If you have a $250 Touch and a $399 iPad, that would cover it. No need for something in between considering Touch comes in various grades.

If Apple fragmented tablets into a whole range of screen sizes it would probably do little to boost sales and I just don't see that happening. As such a device that is pocketable by the standards of the vast majority of potential customers is likely what we'll see. I think there is room for such a device to be larger than the current Touch.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So will people seriously not purchase a device if it isn't small enough to fit in their pants/jacket pocket? When would people stick a 7" or 8" device in their pants pocket anyway? What pants pocket is wide enough to fit a device like the Kindle Fire? I could see maybe a jacket pocket but I can't see that as being a big enough reason for Apple to make a smaller device. I think price and ecosystem/software will drive sales more than anything. My guess is Kindle Fires sell because of the $199 price point and access to the Amazon ecosystem.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What pants pocket is wide enough to fit a device like the Kindle Fire?

Clown pants.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Either refute the standard wisdom, or don't.

Either stop abusing Poe's Law like it's as necessary as breathing or?

? actually that's probably the only valid option.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    Quote:

Either stop abusing Poe's Law like it's as necessary as breathing or?

? actually that's probably the only valid option.

I'm sorry if any sufficiently advanced parody is indistinguishable from a genuine kook. But that says a lot more about the general consensus here than anything else.

My intent is to make people think. By expressing the conventional wisdom at appropriate times, I illustrate just how wrong the conventional wisdom sometimes is.

Often I repeat the words of Steve. More often, I repeat the words of other posters here who are taken seriously in the original context of "Apple would never do that because..."

But most often, I post sincere remarks.

I find parody to be an excellent means of communicating complex points in an economical manner. And i believe that it makes many non-kooks smile. The fact that the kooks get massive cognitive dissonance is not my fault.