Microsoft reveals 'Windows RT' as name of ARM-based version of Windows 8

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Microsoft on Monday revealed that there will be three editions of its next-generation desktop operating system: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows RT.

The Redmond, Wash., company announced the naming scheme in an official blog post. Communications manager Brandon LeBlanc indicated that all three of the editions would "offer a no-compromise experience."

"Windows 8 is the official product name for the next x86/64 editions of Windows," LeBlanc wrote. "For many consumers, Windows 8 will be the right choice."

The Pro edition includes all the features of Windows 8 as well as "encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity." A "media pack" add-on to Windows 8 Pro will add Windows Media Center functionality. LeBlanc recommends that enthusiasts and customers looking to use their PCs in a "business environment" consider the professional version.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview. | Source: Microsoft

The third version of Windows 8, dubbed Windows RT, will be the company's port to the ARM architecture.

"This single edition will only be available pre-installed on PCs and tablets powered by ARM processors and will help enable new thin and lightweight form factors with impressive battery life," the post read.

Windows RT will include touch-optimized desktop versions of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. The OS will also not include Windows Media Player.

As previously noted, the ARM-based version of Windows will not support installation of x86/64 and desktop software. Instead, Microsoft intends for developers to focus on WinRT, the new Windows runtime that will form "the foundation of a new generation of cloud-enabled, touch-enabled, web-connected apps of all kinds."

LeBlanc promised to reveal details on Windows 8 pricing, as well as limited-time programs and promotions for customers, in "the coming months." Recent reports have suggested that Microsoft is aiming for an October launch of its new operating system. The first Windows 8 tablets are also expected to arrive early this fall.

Meanwhile, Apple is readying its own desktop operating system upgrade for release later this year. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is scheduled to arrive in the summer and will pack over 100 new features.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    They shoulda stuck with Windows RG!

http://windowsreallygoodedition.com/
  • Reply 2 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'm sure this will sell well, but I don't like the metro interface at all. To me its 5 steps backwards and I think people will have a hard time with it. Its not always apparent what icon you're supposed to choose for something. Not very intuitive.

Perhaps the demise of Mr. Ballmer? One can only hope!
  • Reply 3 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Wikipedia has nice upgrade and feature comparison charts. 2) What does the RT stand for? Run Time?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm sure this will sell well, but I don't like the metro interface at all. To me its 5 steps backwards and I think people will have a hard time with it. Its not always apparent what icon you're supposed to choose for something. Not very intuitive.

I think it will sell well, but Vista sold well. I expect Apple to revamp nearly all of their Mac line and start a new campaign that will pull users to their platform as MS pushes from the other end.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Don't confuse "intuitive" with "easy to use". If you were to give a brand new computer user the choice between Metro in Windows 8 and Windows 7, I really think most would pick Metro because it's FAR simpler. That and the fact that the average computer user doesn't tap into most of the functionality of Windows compared to a power user should indicate that it's not really designed for them to begin with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Wikipedia has nice upgrade and feature comparison charts. 2) What does the RT stand for?

RT stands for RunTime. WinRT is the API which Metro is built off of, analogous to Cocoa in the Mac world.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Again microsoft chooses a name only an engineer would love. "Windows Touch" would have been a better choice.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Finally a reduced number of editions…
  • Reply 7 of 71
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Again microsoft chooses a name only an engineer would love. "Windows Touch" would have been a better choice.

But the desktop version is also "touch".
  • Reply 8 of 71
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

A colleague at work is running a beta version of Windows 8. I'd have to say it isn't all that bad. He was able to toggle between the tiles and the traditional Windows 7 interface. The tiles is really more like an active version of the launchpad. I haven't used it myself, so I can't really say if I would like it, but it looks like pretty good software from what I could tell. I've said this many time in this forum that I think Microsoft is a much bigger threat to Apple than Android. Also, microsoft has two huge assets that will keep it dominant in OS: Outlook and Word. It is no coincidence that Microsoft will have outlook and word for their new RT software. Microsoft is very late to the game, but it may not be too late simply because we humans are very habitual and switching from outlook and Word is painful.

I sure hope apple fixes Apple Mail. Apple Mail is the biggest piece of shit software Apple has ever made. It drives me absolutely bonkers that it takes forever to send a message and it always forgets passwords from Keychain. What is up with that? Also, if my internet connection is slow, it will time out.

Pages isn't bad software, but it is missing so many features that it isn't realistic for business people to use it. For instance, why does it not do automatic numbering? Really? How hard can that be?
  • Reply 9 of 71
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I have to use Outlook at work and I absolutely hate it. It just feels bloated. I have to leave mail to see my calendar or my contacts, it's search seems unintuitive to me and it often won't find emails that I know are there. It doesn't do drag and drop right. Some lists scroll with the mouse wheel and others don't. Copy and paste works in some places but not others. It's modal so when a contact list is open I can't do anything else until I close it...
  • Reply 10 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) What does the RT stand for? Run Time?

And what do you call a person who works on Windows RT research and development?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

But the desktop version is also "touch".

You can toggle between touch and the traditional interface with a click of a button. I don't think tiles vs the Start menu is going to be an issue. It would be like toggling between launchpad and the Mac interface, except that the launchpad apps are "live". it is actually pretty cool. I'm hoping Apple will do something similar this summer to enhance launchpad.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I always thought RT meant road and track...
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I have to use Outlook at work and I absolutely hate it. It just feels bloated. I have to leave mail to see my calendar or my contacts, it's search seems unintuitive to me and it often won't find emails that I know are there. It doesn't do drag and drop right. Some lists scroll with the mouse wheel and others don't. Copy and paste works in some places but not others. It's modal so when a contact list is open I can't do anything else until I close it...

I agree that Outlook isn't the best email client. But at least it works. Apple Mail is a piece of shit. In order for me to spend the time to transfer all my contacts and calendars to Apple mail, I need software that works. Ironically, despite the clunky interface of Outlook, it always works. Outlook also attaches files instead of embedding them in the email like Apple Mail. The worst is when the attachment shows up as a document embedded within the email.

Don't get me wrong...I like the interface Apple provides. Unfortunately, it doesn't "just work" like other Apple software.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
  • Reply 15 of 71
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I sure hope apple fixes Apple Mail. Apple Mail is the biggest piece of shit software Apple has ever made. It drives me absolutely bonkers that it takes forever to send a message and it always forgets passwords from Keychain. What is up with that? Also, if my internet connection is slow, it will time out.

iOS main, contacts and calendar all work better than their OSX equiv.

I also hate OSX iPhoto as well.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    It stands for Windows ReTarded.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

iOS main, contacts and calendar all work better than their OSX equiv.

I also hate OSX iPhoto as well.

Very true. I was trying to get an email at a mountain retreat and all I had was a t-mobile hotspot. My MacBook Air running OSX email couldn't do it, but my iPhone had no trouble. What's up with that? They were running off the very same hot spot.

My wife uses Aperture and seems to like it a lot.

Apple needs to build a killer photo sharing app and launch a social network from it. It should be easy for Apple to do, I don't understand why they won't do it.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Yes, I agree.

I barely use my Apple Mail account anymore. A ridiculous, poorly-implemented PoS.

It is somewhat shocking, really.

Almost as though Apple is doing this on purpose. Although what purpose, I can't figure out.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Big KC....nice post. LMAO
  • Reply 20 of 71
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    It's going to flop in the corporate environment. People at work need to be able to multitask with several programs on the screen at the same time, not 2.