Microsoft reveals 'Windows RT' as name of ARM-based version of Windows 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple Mail has sucked since it's birth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I agree.

I barely use my Apple Mail account anymore. A ridiculous, poorly-implemented PoS.

It is somewhat shocking, really.

Almost as though Apple is doing this on purpose. Although what purpose, I can't figure out.

• Reply 22 of 71
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

RT stands for RunTime. WinRT is the API which Metro is built off of, analogous to Cocoa in the Mac world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I always thought RT meant road and track...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

It stands for Windows ReTarded.

Not correct.

Windows RT = Windows Really Tablety version
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm sure this will sell well, but I don't like the metro interface at all. To me its 5 steps backwards and I think people will have a hard time with it. Its not always apparent what icon you're supposed to choose for something. Not very intuitive.

Perhaps the demise of Mr. Ballmer? One can only hope!

Yeah, I really don't understand the praise that the Metro interface gets from some people. It looks very unappealing aesthetically ? especially the colors of those tiles. Nauseating... But that's just me...

As far as Ballmer, it'd be good if he stays at MS as long as possible. You see, we like his strategy. We like it a lot!
  • Reply 24 of 71
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 108member
    The Redmond, Wash., company announced ...all three of the editions would "offer a no-compromise experience."

So... if the Win 8 version is no compromise, why the need for a 'pro' version, hmmm? Marketing b@llocks... and then an 'add on' for the pro version. Mercy.

When can we expect the 4th version announcement? The one for underpowered netbooks? ( they still exist right?)

ar@e.

coops
  • Reply 25 of 71
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Pages does have automatic numbering. Just click in the footer and choose Page Number from the Insert menu.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Pages does have automatic numbering. Just click in the footer and choose Page Number from the Insert menu.

I meant automatic paragraph numbering. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I agree that Outlook isn't the best email client. But at least it works. Apple Mail is a piece of shit. In order for me to spend the time to transfer all my contacts and calendars to Apple mail, I need software that works. Ironically, despite the clunky interface of Outlook, it always works. Outlook also attaches files instead of embedding them in the email like Apple Mail. The worst is when the attachment shows up as a document embedded within the email.

Don't get me wrong...I like the interface Apple provides. Unfortunately, it doesn't "just work" like other Apple software.

That can be easily toggled on and off from the pulldown menu in mail.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'll be very interested to see how Office for RT actually functions.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Windows 8 is shaping up to be pretty damn amazing. I'm really looking forward to all the device launches that will accompany this hot new product from Microsoft.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Finally a reduced number of editions?

Don't get too excited just yet. The first two is going to split into 2 each x86 and x64.

Then there going to be the N version for Europe also I would imagine. There ought to be some other editions as well we'll just have to wait and see. Netbooks will have to stick with xp I'm afraid.

As ever, the pirated copy would follow soon after.

Oh, RT stands for Ridiculous Type (among other, the list could go on.... e.g. Re~Tarded)
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Windows 8 and Windows RT. See what sticks.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Perhaps the demise of Mr. Ballmer? One can only hope!

No! No! He needs to stay at the helm, even unto his last days of his Alzheimer's. May he live a long and healthy life and remain firmly in charge at MS.

I'm sure Apple management would even give his some Apple stock if he would promise to stay at the top of the dog pile at MS.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Windows 8 is shaping up to be pretty damn amazing. I'm really looking forward to all the device launches that will accompany this hot new product from Microsoft.

You forgot your sarcasm symbol... But, don't worry *wink, wink*. I got it!
  • Reply 34 of 71
    How soon people forget the past.. or younger generation wern't there

Being for an ARM processor, Windows RT will stand for Real Time.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Outlook also attaches files instead of embedding them in the email like Apple Mail. The worst is when the attachment shows up as a document embedded within the email.

Without endorsing Apple Mail as a client, I'd like to point out that Mail does indeed send and receive attachments very normally. Just because an attachment arrives visible, and inline in the body of your message does not mean its embedded. Mail by default tends to display the contents of known, readable file types like PDF. But they are indeed attachments and one click allows you to download individual attachments or all of them at once.

As with most things related to unfamiliar software, it takes time to get used to the nuances. As someone who uses Apple Mail exclusively, I find the integration with my calendars and contact lists to be much tighter across all devices, and having used Entourage and Outlook before, I will likely never go back to them.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You forgot your sarcasm symbol... But, don't worry *wink, wink*. I got it!

The guy's a troll, don't bother.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I agree.

I barely use my Apple Mail account anymore. A ridiculous, poorly-implemented PoS.

It is somewhat shocking, really.

Almost as though Apple is doing this on purpose. Although what purpose, I can't figure out.

I'am using Apple Mail at home and at work (exclusively) and have none of the problems mentioned.

It isn't slow at all, and its fast compared to thunderbird.

Searching mail, organizing it etc. is excellent. IMAP integration with google mail works perfectly and is fast.

Its also very similar to the latest iPad version.

Excellent program in its latest incarnation, it seems to me you are talking about earlier versions of the program.

J.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Will be interesting to see the tablets that come along with this. Not expecting to see any desktops running 8 as we will be keeping clients on 7 for the forseable future. Pretty much the same scenario as it was with vista, keep the punters on XP, any new systems with vista were 'upgraded' to XP. Likewise any systems that are bought in with Windows 8 Pro will be rolled back to 7.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    I hope Windows 8 sells well and the Mac OS market share stays low. Any higher, and we become a serious target for more Malware and Viruses. Life was good when we had a 5% market share.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Windows NT stood for New Technology, so does RT stand for Retro Technology?