Rumor: Apple's next iPhone to have glass replaced with Liquidmetal

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read somewhere that the "liquidmetal" process could be used with whatever compound is in cubic zirconia gems... And that the result would be clearer than glass (visually transparent) and be a very hard/strong surface.

If this is possible, maybe Apple plans on replacing the front glass with this material.

If I can find any references, I'll update this post.

Edit: Here's one reference & a quote about 60% through the article:

Behind Apple's Stunningly Crafted iPhone is a Patent

I have a little knowledge(=dangerous amount) of zirconia from use but not in it's cubic form. Cubic zirconia isnt made from a compound, just pure zirconia. At elevated temperatures it goes through a phase transition from its amorphous form to the cubic form which has properties somewhat similar to diamonds. I'm curious if the zirconia they use in some of the liquid metal has been subject to this phase transition or not. In its cubic form it isn't amorphous and in its amorphous form it's not transparent, but it is still a very hard material. I think the knives they make from it are still in an amorphous state.

I think this is a little tangential to your post but ,um, ya. That's what I know.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

http://www.wallstreet-online.de/disk...hnologies-lqmt

It said: "Samsung teamed up with Liquidmetal Technologies to produce a super-thin LCD screen frame component for its innovative SCH-X199 mobile phone model."
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

(The original Liquidmetal formula includes platinum, which is $1577 per troy ounce as I type, as opposed to gold at $1639 per troy ounce.)

Wow. I had no idea that gold is going for more than platinum these days.
  • Reply 64 of 106

Mmmm...

I bought some LQMT at $0.16 on April 10...

I bought some more, today at $0.199...

Currently it is $0.2245

No big investment here, just playing a hunch (after doing some research)...

But, It is probably worth holding until the next iPhone release -- it could get some visibility!

• Reply 65 of 106
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Is this rumor out of South, or North Korea?

(telephone rings at the home of a famous actor)

"Herro Aric Balrin. This is Kim Jong Un. I berieve you know my faver. Rong time, no see. Have you heard? Spoirer arert! The new iPhone will be made fwom riquid metar. I want one! Send me one as soon as dey are avairable, or Tina Fey wirr die a swow and painfur deaf!"
  • Reply 66 of 106
    Isn't all metal liquid at some (high) temperature?

Is this some sort of plastic-metal mix?
  • Reply 67 of 106
    jmkazajmkaza Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by softeky View Post

Yes, here I'll demonstrate:
    the wrong implication
    Now can we please get back to speculating about what Liquidmetal may, or may not do given that all most of us actually know about it is that it is a mixture of metals, it makes a superb SIM removal tool, and will cause one to focus on a glass cylinder for 30% longer than most other metals tested so far.

It's posts like this that make me wish AppleInsider had mod points
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Yes to the first question. No to the second. The terms liquid and plastic describe properties of materials, not the actual material even though most people use the word plastic to refer to a class of material. Glass in its molten state exhibits properties that are described as plastic and liquid. Upon cooling, it no longer has those properties.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Is this really exciting news¿ I can really care less what materials are used. I always buy a secondary cover to protect all of my phones and tablets so they can use bamboo as far as I'm concerned. Actually bamboo sounds pretty cool, with maybe a magnesium skeleton.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Another totally bogus rumor.

Apple has no intention of using any metal or glass in their future case designs.

Now that Greenpeace as labeled them "Evil", Apple will switch to cases made from hemp.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    The problems with ceramic is that it is typically expensive and brittle. They have knives made out of ceramic Kyocerra and they may be sharp, but if you drop on on a hard surface, tile, concrete, that stuff chips and shatters. That is unless they figure out how to not make it brittle. Liquidmetal seems like the best alternative, but the biggest thing is how it does with reception. I am sure Apple understands the importance of having good reception, at least this has been brought to their attention, so if Liquidmetal does do well with reception, shielding, durability, etc., it is supposed to be much cheaper to fabricate than metal, so it might make their product better and cheaper to mfg. IF so, then i guess we'll see it on iPods, iPads, Laptops, Desktops, etc. over the course of the next year or so. If this is their future, then it might be safe to say that they might have an almost indestructible product, especially if some newer form of screen technology that won't shatter, which IS in development by at least one or two screen mfg. It's just a matter of time.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Yes to the first question. No to the second. The terms liquid and plastic describe properties of materials, not the actual material even though most people use the word plastic to refer to a class of material. Glass in its molten state exhibits properties that are described as plastic and liquid. Upon cooling, it no longer has those properties.

In this case, I think "Liquidmetal" refers to neither material property, nor class of material. I think it's just marketing jargon (example: "Liquid Nails" adhesive products).
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Is this really exciting news¿ I can really care less what materials are used. I always buy a secondary cover to protect all of my phones and tablets so they can use bamboo as far as I'm concerned. Actually bamboo sounds pretty cool, with maybe a magnesium skeleton.

Root Cases - Wood And Bamboo iPhone Cases
  • Reply 74 of 106
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

When you melt a metal it becomes liquid. When it cools and solidifies crystals form. With liquid metal, the alloy stays amorphous even after it has solidified, meaning the metals are all still thoroughly mixed together as crystals don't form.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

No.

Regular metal is liquid at high temperatures and when cooled it crystallises, creating giant easy to exploit "seams" (for lack of a better word) where it will fracture under stress. Liquidmetal is based on a way of making the metal cool differently so that it doesn't crystallise and therefore is much less prone to fracturing or catastrophic breaking.

So it's more or less the same as any other metal, but with some trace elements added and created using a process that allows it to stay flexible without the typical weak points of regular metals that have been cooled in the usual way.

Typically it's main qualities are extra stiffness, strength and durability and resistance to impacts.

It's not radio transparent, but personally, I would guess the fact that it doesn't shrink when it cools like regular metals is really the quality that might make it interesting to Apple's designers.

But that's just me.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Root Cases - Wood And Bamboo iPhone Cases

Oh my gosh I love them, I must have that iPad case. Thank you, I didn't know they made them. I used to have a Asus sub notebook that was covered in Bamboo, I wonder if they still sell them.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

In this case, I think "Liquidmetal" refers to neither material property, nor class of material. I think it's just marketing jargon (example: "Liquid Nails" adhesive products).

Yes indeed. Thanks for the further clarification. Liquidmetal is just a trade name for their formulations of amorphous alloys.

Edit: actually in this case the liquid in liquidmetal is being used to describe its structural similarity to materials in a liquid state.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    I would forcefully stomp on my iPhone before it bounced the 56th time.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    How about just making the entire phone transparent using Gorilla Glass. Ever sense seeing that translucent PowerBook Duo in Hackers I have always wanted more see threw products.

• Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

It said: "Samsung teamed up with Liquidmetal Technologies to produce a super-thin LCD screen frame component for its innovative SCH-X199 mobile phone model."

Sigh. Read the entire bloody thing, will you?

The aforementioned paragraph appears near the end of the PR release.