Al Gore praises Apple CEO Tim Cook as one of Time's '100 Most Influential'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has been named to Time's list of the "100 Most Influential People in the World," and the piece on Cook was penned by former U.S. vice president and current Apple board member Al Gore.

In an essay published in this week's magazine, Gore describes Cook as a "soft-spoken, genuinely humble and quietly intense son of an Alabama shipyard worker and a homemaker." He acknowledges the difficulty anyone would have following Steve Jobs as chief executive of Apple.

"He has indelibly imprinted his leadership on all areas of Apple — from managing its complex inner workings to identifying and shepherding new 'insanely great' technology and design breakthroughs into the product pipeline," Gore wrote.

Cook was named Apple's CEO last August after Jobs resigned because of health issues, shortly before his death in October. Cook has been regarded as an operational genius who can make the most out of Apple's supply chain.

Cook was also identified by Time in December as one of the magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2011, while Jobs was given a "Fond Farewell" from the publication.

Also on this year's list of the "100 Most Influential People" is author Walter Isaacson, who penned the best selling biography of Jobs, released soon after his death last year. The essay on Isaacson was written by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Top-notch leader and CEO. Top-notch biographer and writer.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Top-notch leader and CEO.

Tim Cook, absolutely.

Al Gore? I would choose different words such as hypocrite, douche bag, etc.

-kpluck
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Cook understands what made Apple successful over the last decade: he was there, right beside Steve Jobs and the current leadership team. The praise seems well deserved, regardless of who is giving it. Sorry, Al.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cook understands what made Apple successful over the last decade: he was there, right beside Steve Jobs and the current leadership team. The praise seems well deserved, regardless of who is giving it. Sorry, Al.

He likely is one of the 100 most influential people currently. He is the CEO of the largest corporation in the world (using one measure of large).

The corporate influence on the world has likely never been greater than it is today.

I heard a theory that the Church used to be the most powerful institution in the world, and more recently, Governments. But even more recently, the big Corporations are gaining ascendancy.

As the leader of the biggest of the big, Cook is likely more influential than many heads of state.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    drandeldrandel Posts: 28member
    1 of the 100 most influential? Sure. However ...

Is it because of what *he* has done? Only in part. He's still pretty new at being the face of Apple. In fact, some would argue against Tim being "the face" as Jobs was. Apple has a hell of a leadership/development team, and they all deserve a piece of that title.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Tim.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Woww.. never expected Al Gore would write a glowing praise of Cook. It's as if they are bbf.

I think it's a mistake to judge Cook based on his short tenure.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Now all of a sudden we're fans of Time magazine?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Tim Cook, absolutely.

Al Gore? I would choose different words such as hypocrite, douche bag, etc.

-kpluck

To fill out that "etc." try looking in a mirror and thinking real hard.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    There is very little that would ruin Apple more for me than someone like Al snail oil salesman Gore rising up into some future Apple leadership role.

PLEASE NO!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

There is very little that would ruin Apple more for me than someone like Al snail oil salesman Gore rising up into some future Apple leadership role.

PLEASE NO!!!!

Why are you people being so harsh on Al? Did he do something terrible to you? Was he too patronizing to you during the 2000 Election? You guys need to get a life!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

PLEASE NO!!!!

He has been on the Apple board for, what, a decade? Your "fears" are very very old.