iPad 3 problems with synching photos

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
With all the noise about heating and possible loss of wifi connections, its seems pretty amazing that there is not more uproar about the iPad 3 users being unable to sync significant numbers of photos if they exceed the iPad's retina display resolution. iTunes times out or mis-sync's the photos if you use iTunes with Windows 7 to do the sync (others may fail too, but this is pretty common). If you google "iPad 3 photos won't sync", etc., you'll see that there is no fix, and Apple believes they fixed it with the last iTunes release (they didn't).

You have to manually re-size pictures to get them to synch.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Nope.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudnut1 View Post

With all the noise about heating and possible loss of wifi connections, its seems pretty amazing that there is not more uproar about the iPad 3 users being unable to sync significant numbers of photos if they exceed the iPad's retina display resolution. iTunes times out or mis-sync's the photos if you use iTunes with Windows 7 to do the sync (others may fail too, but this is pretty common). If you google "iPad 3 photos won't sync", etc., you'll see that there is no fix, and Apple believes they fixed it with the last iTunes release (they didn't).

You have to manually re-size pictures to get them to synch.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes I have the same problem, hope they will fix that soon

EDIT : I updated to iTunes 10.6.1.7 and I tried this trick found on another forum :

1- turn off wifi on iPad

2- Turn off photo sync in iTunes to delete all photos on iPad

3- Turn on photo sync again

It seams to work, syncing process is now at 838..839 etc /1125 and all is going well
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plgregoire View Post

Yes I have the same problem, hope they will fix that soon

EDIT : I updated to iTunes 10.6.1.7 and I tried this trick found on another forum :

1- turn off wifi on iPad

2- Turn off photo sync in iTunes to delete all photos on iPad

3- Turn on photo sync again

It seams to work, syncing process is now at 838..839 etc /1125 and all is going well

This fix above was posted in another forum and someone posted that they tried it and only got 10% of their photos - they had 60% before trying this fix. So what works for one does not work for another. It is random hit and miss.

Didn't work for me - I never had wifi on to start with, to make it more eefficient. Tried these steps as well as factory reset of iPad, reisntalling iTunes, renaming/moving photo library, and deleting all photo caches on machine. Nothing works unless I put all 5000+ photos in one mass entity under photos. Albums are not possible. All of mine are under the 3000 size that people keep talking about. Even tried doing a few folders at a time and got a huge mess - things put in wrong albums, dups, etc.

Wish the media would publicize this so Apple would be compelled to fix. I returned my iPad3 and am reluctant to get one again because of all the problems. Besides photo sync, there are mass reports of wifi and battery problems. Seems like this release is a lemon. Think I will wait for a fixed updated version of iPad3 or wait for iPad4.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    So apparently, you cannot retrieve all of your pics with this fix?

That must be the upgrade we'll find in iPad4
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I'm very glad to reply to this post and Hope you happy!!

Buy WOW Gold | RS Gold
  • Reply 6 of 22

close the app and try to open it again. i don't have problems with mine :(

• Reply 7 of 22
    pkl63pkl63 Posts: 1member

yes I have the same problems. Bought my new iPad some days ago and nothing seems to help in this.

Viewing my pictures is the most important reason I bought this iPad. The iPad1 I had, didn´t have problems with syncing. With the same selcted albums of photos this new one does not work at all.

I already tried a lot of the advices published on the web

• Reply 8 of 22
    fnumanfnuman Posts: 3member
    Same here opened a case Case 301249740 - Pictures Sync and have to manually resize pictures before sync.. With 9000pics not a good idea, as I want the high res and bought the pad for photos mainly... Had no problems with iPad 2 want to return my iPad and buy google pad maybe that works... Other than that the iPad is fine. But almost useless due to this issue. The supporting person was doing great job but is stuck in apple as well.
    Unbelievable....
  • Reply 9 of 22

hi,if it happens some errors when syncing the pictures to ipad 3 with itunes, you have to check the iTunes version, and Tried these steps as well as factory reset of iPad, reisntalling iTunes, renaming/moving photo library, and deleting all photo caches on machine. Nothing works unless I put all 5000+ photos in one mass entity under photos. Albums are not possible. good luck.

• Reply 10 of 22
    goughegoughe Posts: 3member

I have taken my ipad 2 (that syncs photos fine) and my ipad 3 (that doesn't) in to Apple in Cardiff.

I have tried all the suggestions abaove - it still doesn't sync.

Please can everyone keep complaining to Apple. .....

I can't believe they won't upgrade the software.

• Reply 11 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by goughe View Post

I have taken my ipad 2 (that syncs photos fine) and my ipad 3 (that doesn't) in to Apple in Cardiff.

I have tried all the suggestions abaove - it still doesn't sync.

Please can everyone keep complaining to Apple. .....

I can't believe they won't upgrade the software.

Won't upgrade what software? What are you talking about?

• Reply 12 of 22
    I have found the workaround which is not really a workaround but a non solution to reduce in one go everything to 2048x1536 max resolution of iPad in a separate directory than it syncs fine, but you loose detail, anyway the photo sync in total is crap, apple should just copy the photos not in one native format which is useless anyway for further processing, one benefit is the total size is reduced, or should give you an option either way.
    So we go for google or wait indeed to they update the software of iTunes.
    I suspect also it is a combi of iOS and iTunes as I had also issues on the iPad when it does sync, because sometimes it does, sort of random
  • Reply 13 of 22
    O yes I requested to open a new case as the old one was closed
  • Reply 14 of 22
    goughegoughe Posts: 3member

itunes

it is this that is not allowing the photos sync to occur

• Reply 15 of 22
    vfcvfc Posts: 3member
    [CENTER]I'm not sure if this is related but I am having a very difficult time transferring photos on to my new iPad (main reason why I purchased the iPad) using a nonApple app.

I use Photo Manager Pro and have been struggling with lost pictures, corrupt sub-folders, etc. during pc to iPad transfers. I reported the problem to the app developer and they told me to stop using the HTTP Transfer and switch to the FTP Transfer method. That helped with the picture dropping problem (about 1 picture for each 50 transferred would be dropped). However I still get sub-folder corruption if I try moving more than 1 sub-folder at a time. It has taken about a week to transfer 32gb of pics. I have to transfer small groups of pics and only one directory at a time.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 16 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    goughe wrote: »
    itunes it is this that is not allowing the photos sync to occur

Okay, you're running iTunes 10.6.3 and your newest version of whatever OS you have, right?
  • Reply 17 of 22

I must be the only happy iPad photo user here. I have no problems whatsoever loading raw photos from my d90 nikon directly to my ipad3. I also have absolutely no problems syncing any type of photo from iPhoto/itunes to iPad. I have no trouble at all doing editing on ipsad. I shot a wedding this past saturday and out of 449 photos taken in raw format I had zer0 trouble. The shooting and transfers were flawless. 

• Reply 18 of 22

why don't you just use the iPad photo card adapter and let iPhoto import them. It's much easier than 3rd party software that needs workarounds to function.

this post was in reply to VFC ^^^and his trouble with photo manager pro.

• Reply 19 of 22
    vfcvfc Posts: 3member
    [INDENT]I was not happy with all the pictures accumulating in camera roll. When I got to over a thousand pictures, it took forever to scroll through the list to find and delete a single picture. That's when I switched over to Photo Mgr.

With Photo Manager the > 10,000 pics are just in about 50 folders. Plus I have some four deep sub-folders that iPhoto could not handle. [/INDENT]
  • Reply 20 of 22

Ok, I see your point with camera roll - although I haven't experienced that issue on iPad yet. I have a ton of pix in there myself though.

Why are you so deep with sub-folders? Is it for your own sorting and editing purposes?

Maybe since I have always let iphoto handle all my picture imports/file structure and then use photoshop and/or Aperture for editing I haven't had the corrupted issues you are unfortunately experiencing.

Here's to hope for solutions, Randy