Intel reportedly expects shipments of 20-30M ultrabooks in 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A new report claims Intel has set internal estimates of between 20 to 30 million ultrabook units this year.

According to DigiTimes, sources from the upstream supply chain have revealed the chipmaker's plans. Intel also reportedly expects ultrabook shipments to jump up by "double or even triple" in 2013.

The report noted that the second generation of ultrabook will launch "after May 2012" and combination tablet/ultrabooks will arrive in the fourth quarter alongside the release of Microsoft's Windows 8.

Intel is also said to be looking into technologies that could help spur ultrabook adoption. Reinforced plastic chassis and ultra-thin optical disk drives were specifically mentioned by the report as components that the company is cooperating with upstream makers on.

CEO Paul Otellini revealed on an earnings call earlier this week that the next generation of processors bound for "mainstream notebooks" won't arrive until the second launch of its Ivy Bridge architecture, as the "bulk" of the chips from the first wave will go toward desktop computers. Intel is expected to formally launch Ivy Bridge next week.

Intel put forth the ultrabook design specification last May as an alternative to the MacBook Air and iPad. For its part, the Mac maker is expected to release a thinner and light design of its 15-inch MacBook Pro within weeks that could threaten sales of high-end ultrabooks.

The initial target for ultrabook sales was for the category to reach a 40 percent share of the consumer laptop market by the end of this year. However, at least one analyst believes ultrabook sales will not be "meaningful enough" to stimulate growth in the notebook market until 2013.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    "According to DigiTimes" ...

OK, thanks. Next!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Intel has set internal estimates of between 20 to 30 million ultrabook units this year...[/URL]

Most of them MacBook Airs.

(And the new MBP Ultra!)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Someone's been sniffing too much glue before these ultra books had a chance to dry.

It does bring me back to this article about an iHater that seems to have seen the light after his experience with ultrabooks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/relate...lly_burned_me/
  • Reply 4 of 11
    A new report claims Intel...estimates...<widgets, widgets and more widgets>...<lots and lots of money>

A new report claims Microsoft...<we promise this time it will be really really different>

A new report claims Acer...<mutant virus>

A new report claims <insert vendor X here>...<insert next Apple X device Killer/beat Apple/CEO undergoes transsexual operation to turn company around/grandiose claims here>

http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi2982583321/

"Insanity is...doing the exact..same f***ing thing over and over again..and....expecting s**t to change."
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm chuckling.

Unless that range includes Apple's CPUs they won't get it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Remind me again of the percentage of +$1,000 priced computers that Apple sell ....
  • Reply 7 of 11
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    The ASUS looks like a direct take on the MacBookAir, it is totally obvious. At least Apple has the Thunderbolt port, which is an Intel design. I am surprised Intel is making such a big deal, since Apple is going to release product with the same processors as these Ultrabooks, but with the Thunderbolt port. I think Intel should strike a deal with Apple to be the outsourced mfg for Apple's ARM chips.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    While I agree they'll probably continue to grow as a format, you guys should note that Digitimes is cited as the source of these estimates.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

"According to DigiTimes" ...

OK, thanks. Next!

Time for an editor to redact the article. Though it may actually reflect the level of delusion Intel has, even if it's accidental.

Maybe the Air will winning people over in those numbers though. I just wish they'd offer one with built-in cellular data.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Then the Intel guys said...off the record... "copying Apple is the best thing we've innovated in years!"
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Someone's been sniffing too much glue before these ultra books had a chance to dry.

It does bring me back to this article about an iHater that seems to have seen the light after his experience with ultrabooks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/relate...lly_burned_me/

Was the Samsung really called "Samsung Series 9 900X3A-B06US"? I mean that seems to spell out what it is in the very name - bogus.