Rumor: Apple's next iPhone to have glass replaced with Liquidmetal

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh my gosh I love them, I must have that iPad case. Thank you, I didn't know they made them. I used to have a Asus sub notebook that was covered in Bamboo, I wonder if they still sell them.

I have the Walnut iPhone 4S CAse -- it is very well made!

My only complaint is the back part of the case isn't properly sanded/buffed/burnished -- you can see lines perpendicular to the grain.

Over the 6 months (or so) I've used it, it has acquired a beautiful patina -- and even though dropped several times, no nicks or scratches.

• Reply 82 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes.

No.

Regular metal is liquid at high temperatures and when cooled it crystallises, creating giant easy to exploit "seams" (for lack of a better word) where it will fracture under stress. Liquidmetal is based on a way of making the metal cool differently so that it doesn't crystallise and therefore is much less prone to fracturing or catastrophic breaking.

So it's more or less the same as any other metal, but with some trace elements added and created using a process that allows it to stay flexible without the typical weak points of regular metals that have been cooled in the usual way.

Typically it's main qualities are extra stiffness, strength and durability and resistance to impacts.

It's not radio transparent, but personally, I would guess the fact that it doesn't shrink when it cools like regular metals is really the quality that might make it interesting to Apple's designers.

But that's just me.

Do you know if there is actually no change in size corresponding to temperature or if the coefficient of expansion is just extremely small?

Either way it's a very interesting property.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    kidajekidaje Posts: 8member
    Here they go again....

more rumors...

iPhone with 3D screen

iPhone with quad core processor

iPhone with 128GB storage

iPhone with wireless 802.11ac

iPhone with <your choice of feature>
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kidaje View Post

Here they go again....

more rumors...

iPhone with 3D screen

iPhone with quad core processor

iPhone with 128GB storage

iPhone with wireless 802.11ac

iPhone with <your choice of feature>

Brodie Knob, Mudflaps with Reflectors and Wire Wheels!
  • Reply 85 of 106
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Who said anything about perfectly elastic collisions? I certainly didn't state it, nor did I imply it. And, where there is inefficiency in the modulus of elasticity of this material, the residual energy release will most likely be in form of heat (basic physics). There is going to be elastic modulus inefficiency in a phone case using Liquidmetal -- we just don't have enough information at this point to determine what that coefficient is.

But you did state "absorbing the impact elastically, then releasing the energy in the form of heat...", which is not, by definition, elastic behavior. And what on earth is "elastic modulus inefficiency"? Are you trying to describe some kind of hysteretic elastic-plastic response?
  • Reply 86 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

How about just making the entire phone transparent using Gorilla Glass. Ever sense seeing that translucent PowerBook Duo in Hackers I have always wanted more see threw products.

Very cool looking case!
  • Reply 87 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I have a little knowledge(=dangerous amount) of zirconia from use but not in it's cubic form. Cubic zirconia isnt made from a compound, just pure zirconia.

Wrong. Zirconia IS a compound.

Zirconium - metal. Pure element.

Zirconia - another name for zirconium dioxide. A compound made up of zirconium and oxygen. Available as a single crystal (such as cubic zirconia which is one of the crystal forms) or as a powdered material which is sintered into a ceramic body.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

A Liquidmetal enclosure could be really beautiful and very durable. But it may be too expensive and not recyclable enough. Still, there's hope. If the manufacturing process can be streamlined to make it cost effective, and/or if the materials can be changed to be slightly less expensive Apple can and will use Liquidmetal. (The original Liquidmetal formula includes platinum, which is $1577 per troy ounce as I type, as opposed to gold at $1639 per troy ounce.)

But that is only one of the alloys.

As I've explained (multiple times) before, there are different Liquidmetal alloys including some which are cheap enough to be used in reasonably priced tennis rackets and golf clubs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

A liquidmetal unibody. Just like the new MacBook (pro) and Air line.

J.

That's actually not a bad idea. The cost of casting a liquidmetal case would be lower than the machining of a block of aluminum and that would help to reduce the materials cost differential. It might not end up being much more expensive. It would, however, probably be thinner which would leave more space for the battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read somewhere that the "liquidmetal" process could be used with whatever compound is in cubic zirconia gems... And that the result would be clearer than glass (visually transparent) and be a very hard/strong surface.

I really wish people wouldn't comment on things they don't understand. Once again, learn the difference between zirconia and zirconium.

Cubic zirconia is ZrO2. Liquidmetal is an alloy of various metals (NOT metal oxides). It makes no sense to talk about making Liquidmetal from zirconia.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Zirconia - another name for zirconium dioxide. A compound made up of zirconium and oxygen. Available as a single crystal (such as cubic zirconia which is one of the crystal forms) or as a powdered material which is sintered into a ceramic body.

As I've explained (multiple times) before, there are different Liquidmetal alloys including some which are cheap enough to be used in reasonably priced tennis rackets and golf clubs.

That's actually not a bad idea. The cost of casting a liquidmetal case would be lower than the machining of a block of aluminum and that would help to reduce the materials cost differential. It might not end up being much more expensive. It would, however, probably be thinner which would leave more space for the battery.

I really wish people wouldn't comment on things they don't understand. Once again, learn the difference between zirconia and zirconium.

Cubic zirconia is ZrO2. Liquidmetal is an alloy of various metals (NOT metal oxides). It makes no sense to talk about making Liquidmetal from zirconia.

Why do you dis my post when it was qualified with "If this is possible"... Or at least have the intellectual honesty to quote the entire post that you are dissing...

Here is my original post:

Quote:

I read somewhere that the "liquidmetal" process could be used with whatever compound is in cubic zirconia gems... And that the result would be clearer than glass (visually transparent) and be a very hard/strong surface.

If this is possible, maybe Apple plans on replacing the front glass with this material.

If I can find any references, I'll update this post.

Edit: Here's one reference & a quote about 60% through the article:

Behind Apple's Stunningly Crafted iPhone is a Patent

• Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:

Why do you dis my post when it was qualified with "If this is possible"... Or at least have the intellectual honesty to quote the entire post that you are dissing...

I also qualified my statements as being less than complete in hopes of respectful discourse on the subject. I forgot that people like jragosta may reply. I'm guessing he acts like a jerk because he's a little man in his home life. Whatever the reason is he's pretty consistant with it so I take consolation in the fact that I'm apparently not subject to the same things as he is that would cause such behavior on a regular basis. I also don't have to live or work with him so there is also that to be glad about.

And fwiw sorry about leading you astray in my other reply to you.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    Quote:

There's really no need to be a dick about it. No one stole your lunch money.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    Liquid metal isn't magic, it just remembers its shape. That could mean it's scratch and crack resistant. That alone is a good reason to use it instead of the current shatter-prone glass back. It could also mean we go back to a more natural feeling curved back. Whether it's used or not will perhaps be more to do with how does it look and feel to Jony.

As for the SciFi speculations, I think you all had fun but it's amazing how few actually know anything about the metal itself. Thankfully, some posters do.
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:

Quote:

The above indicates that you don't have any idea what you're talking about. You can't use a Liquidmetal process to manufacture a zirconium oxide process.

I quoted enough of your post to show that you were babbling about things you don't understand.

Quote:

There's really no need to be a dick about it. No one stole your lunch money.

Or maybe it just irritates me when people like you insist on babbling about things you don't understand. The signal to noise ratio of the Internet would be an order of magnitude better if people would keep their mouths shut when they don't understand the topic they're commenting on.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:

The above indicates that you don't have any idea what you're talking about. You can't use a Liquidmetal process to manufacture a zirconium oxide process.

I quoted enough of your post to show that you were babbling about things you don't understand.

Or maybe it just irritates me when people like you insist on babbling about things you don't understand. The signal to noise ratio of the Internet would be an order of magnitude better if people would keep their mouths shut when they don't understand the topic they're commenting on.

Yes, I'm sure acting like a dick will solve all of these problems you have with the Internet

The real irony is that you likely have knowledge that if properly applied may help to combat the ignorance that so irritates you. You might even find youself in a pleasant conversation that could actually be enjoyable. Instead you're satisfied with being a smug @sshole. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Liquid metal isn't magic, it just remembers its shape. That could mean it's scratch and crack resistant. That alone is a good reason to use it instead of the current shatter-prone glass back. It could also mean we go back to a more natural feeling curved back. Whether it's used or not will perhaps be more to do with how does it look and feel to Jony.

As for the SciFi speculations, I think you all had fun but it's amazing how few actually know anything about the metal itself. Thankfully, some posters do.

Does it 'remember' its shape better than memory metals like nitinol?
  • Reply 95 of 106
    I perosnally like the design of the iPhone 4S, If they used Gorilla Glass, I'd be perfect. and a bigger screen ofc.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Good question. Does implication refer to the author's implied conclusion, the reader's, or both? Can we differentiate between a conclusion that can be drawn versus one that is drawn?

in front of a jury of peers
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:

Yes, I'm sure acting like a dick will solve all of these problems you have with the Internet

The real irony is that you likely have knowledge that if properly applied may help to combat the ignorance that so irritates you. You might even find youself in a pleasant conversation that could actually be enjoyable. Instead you're satisfied with being a smug @sshole. Good luck with that.

After the 6th time that I explained that zirconia and zirconium are not the same thing, it was obvious that some people have no intention of learning anything and choose to continue spreading the same misinformation.

Some people refuse to be educated.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Good question. Does implication refer to the author's implied conclusion, the reader's, or both? Can we differentiate between a conclusion that can be drawn versus one that is drawn?

You're missing the point: you can't READ and implication, you can guess it, or understand it, but not READ it, or it's not an implication anymore...
  • Reply 99 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

OK... This is very strange........... The new forum layout frightens me... So many options. :/

Looks like the "insert smiley" no longer works, for me anyway. Only one icon pops up... This one: image ...that's it.

• Reply 100 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OK... This is very strange........... The new forum layout frightens me... So many options. :/

Here's probably the most relevant of the tutorials.  Basically the forum operates just as vBulletin did, but with quite a few feature additions. For example, you can click on the icon to the left of a thread in the list and be taken right to the first posts in that thread you haven't read yet. 

And posting has WYSIWYG content instead of BBCode, but I believe you can still manually type the BBCode if you wish.

[QUOTE]Test quote[/QUOTE]

Oh. Apparently you can't. image

Well, uh… that's one more thing I have to relearn, then. Well, at least I won't be typing "[/QUPTE]" all the time anymore.