iPad shipping times improve to 5-7 days as Apple catches up with demand

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
More than a month after the launch of the new iPad, Apple has begun to rein in estimated shipping times, which are now advertised at 5 to 7 business days.

Orders of the new iPad from Apple's official site are now listed to ship in less than 7 business days for all capacities, colors, and even the 4G LTE-capable models. The improved shipping times were first noted on Friday by CNet.

Just before the iPad went on sale in March, online shipping estimates slipped to one to two weeks as Apple sold out of preorders and struggled to keep up with demand. Shipping times quickly improved to one to two weeks, but had remained at that level for the past month.

The latest shipping estimates suggest that Apple has begun to catch up with demand for its strong selling tablet, which sold a record 3 million units over its launch weekend. The new iPad initially launched in 10 countries, but quickly expanded to 24 more countries a week later.

Earlier this month, there were indications that Apple's stock of iPads was being squeezed by limited supply of Retina displays. The new high-resolution screen, which is the defining feature of the third-generation iPad, has primarily been built by Samsung, while LG and Sharp were said to have had trouble building Retina displays initially.

Shipping

The new Retina display has been particularly difficult for Apple's partners to manufacture, as it packs in 264 pixels per inch onto the 9.7-inch touchscreen. That gives the new iPad a larger number of pixels than a 1080p high-definition television set.

Analysts on Wall Street expect that Apple will sell as many as 66 million total iPads this year, allowing the company to maintain its dominance in the tablet market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tony3dtony3d Posts: 47member

Good maybe now they can get off the iPad crap long enough to build a new Mac Pro!

• Reply 2 of 13
    So checking the Apple on-line store for delivery times constitutes news now. Slow day I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 13

they should improve more!

• Reply 4 of 13
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

This can only mean ONE thing: Android is catching up, and will win. 

• Reply 5 of 13

Mmm...

One of the new launch countries is South Korea...

There seem to be lines to buy the new iPad:

The line goes around the block

The line goes around the block.

I wonder if there will be any SammyShills trolling the iPad lines for SammyTabs...  :D

• Reply 6 of 13

"So checking the Apple on-line store for delivery times constitutes news now. Slow day I guess."

I'm planning to buy an iPad 3 shortly...It's good to know the estimated lead time. Just say'n! :)

• Reply 7 of 13
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member

When I ordered mine a few weeks ago, the shipping times were 1-2 weeks. I ordered it on friday night, and the iPad arrived the next tuesday...

• Reply 8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just before the iPad went on sale in March, online shipping estimates slipped to one to two weeks as Apple sold out of preorders and struggled to keep up with demand. Shipping times quickly improved to one to two weeks, but had remained at that level for the past month.

Wait, so the online shipping estimate was 1-2 weeks, and then improved to... 1-2 weeks? Am I missing something, or is this some convoluted definition of "improved"?

• Reply 9 of 13
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Wait, so the online shipping estimate was 1-2 weeks, and then improved to... 1-2 weeks? Am I missing something, or is this some convoluted definition of "improved"?

The waiting list was never that long as the sales is slowing.

• Reply 10 of 13
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

The reduced lead time is great, but more importantly when are the refurbished iPad 3's hitting the store?

Finally, I have the wife convinced that I "need" one. But being married to an accountant means I have to buy one at the best possible price which means a refurb.

*sigh* Sometimes love can be a big pain...image

• Reply 11 of 13
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

The reduced lead time is great, but more importantly when are the refurbished iPad 3's hitting the store?

Finally, I have the wife convinced that I "need" one. But being married to an accountant means I have to buy one at the best possible price which means a refurb.

*sigh* Sometimes love can be a big pain...image

Is it true that every refurb iPad comes with a new outercase and a new battery?

• Reply 12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This is AI.  Words and phrases can mean anything.  A day or two ago, more than one person here claimed that fossil fuels are "renewable energy".

• Reply 13 of 13

"Is it true that every refurb iPad comes with a new outercase and a new battery?"

I just helped my brother order a iPad 2 refurb (he's a bit of luddite when it comes to buying stuff online).

It certainly looked brand new but I did not think to check how many cycles the battery had on it.