Apple in talks with Proview to settle iPad trademark dispute

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Let's not forget you can also buy this beauty in China as well.

6787126006_a99f59b3c7_z.jpg

• Reply 22 of 28
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

You can still buy an iPad 2 all over China or a new iPad through the grey market.  Which Android tablet do you really think they will choose over that?

Android phones now have a larger market share than the iPhone in China. We will see how much sales have been slowing when they announce earnings next week.

• Reply 23 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Taiwan is not China and the Taiwanese will animatedly tell you all about it if you ask them.

Dammit, that new "quote" function on the site is complete crap. It works half the time I've used it.

• Reply 24 of 28
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The sales contract was signed by the Taiwan subsidiary.  The preliminary negotiations,  via email,  may have been with the Hong Kong parent, but I would have to look it up to be certain.

You'll never quit with your parsing of words, will you? The person who signed the document is the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary - he is also the founder of Proview, and the majority owner (through his son, who he transferred ownership to in order to escape bankruptcy liability). It's all the same person.

The manipulation by Proview is that this man, the founder of Proview and the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary is the one who signed the contract. He claims that he signed the papers not as the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary, but as a representative of the Taiwan company. Pure BS.

• Reply 25 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android phones now have a larger market share than the iPhone in China. We will see how much sales have been slowing when they announce earnings next week.

And your point is?

McDonald's sells more burgers than anyonse else too. Have you ever been to China? It's full of cheap Android phones. This is what makes up the most of that 850,000 daily activations Andy Rubin yaps so much about. High-end Android phones make up less than half that figure with the rest being junk devices that nobody cares about, certainly not Apple. Next you're going to tell me Apple is worried about the 250 million plus dumb phones Nokia and Samsung each sell a year.

• Reply 26 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

You didn't answer my question in your response, or even mention tablets for that matter.  Phones are subsidized in China as in many other markets.  Tablets are subsidized almost anywhere, so the Chinese tablet market will likely continue to look like that of the rest of the world where Apple has a very dominant position.  Who is to say that that sales will have slowed at all, especially for the iPad which is the subject of the article and my post?  With the release of the new iPad during the quarter it's possible that they will sell almost as many as the holiday quarter (and there is 1 less week in this quarter than last).

• Reply 27 of 28

Quote:

How about this?  Resolved: We will get Apple's money.

More like resolved, we got money but only a fraction of what we were asking for.

• Reply 28 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Quote:

The sales contract was signed by the Taiwan subsidiary.  The preliminary negotiations,  via email,  may have been with the Hong Kong parent, but I would have to look it up to be certain.

You'll never quit with your parsing of words, will you? The person who signed the document is the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary - he is also the founder of Proview, and the majority owner (through his son, who he transferred ownership to in order to escape bankruptcy liability). It's all the same person.

The manipulation by Proview is that this man, the founder of Proview and the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary is the one who signed the contract. He claims that he signed the papers not as the CEO of the Shenzen subsidiary, but as a representative of the Taiwan company. Pure BS.

The individual did not sign as an individual.  He signed on behalf of a corporation.  

And the corporation did not own the property it purported to sell.