Site Redesign

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

As bad as the old site used to be, the redesign is MUCH worse.  No way to get from a news story to the comments?   

AI should just shitcan the redesign and get a competent piece of forum software.  Or jsut go back tot he old software.

This new format sucks donkey shit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

You're complaining about an incomplete transition not yet having hyperlinks to articles re-added? sigh

• Reply 2 of 29

How hard would it be for them to say "incomplete transition" somewhere on the screen?

What's with all the data that's being thrown at us? Are they hoping that they'll be the next Instagram?

• Reply 3 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Is it to late to go back to the old look?

Oh, and we'll need a "downvote" icon for Zither's posts.

• Reply 4 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Oh, and we'll need a "downvote" icon for Zither's posts.

I still like very much the idea of NOT having "Like/Dislike" buttons, but that's me. Personally I prefer a typed response to a knee-jerk, single-click, zero-thought reaction, wouldn't you?

As to the design, it's clean and busy simultaneously. Now that I'm seeing all these icons in place, ideas are floating around my head. I think I'll take a crack at something…

• Reply 5 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Yeah, I'm just being snarky.  It's new, it's different.  I'm sure we'll adapt.  :)

• Reply 6 of 29

Personally I like the idea of like, dislike buttons rather than having to hear endless amounts of horseshit replies to horseshit troll posts.

Perfection to me would be to add a few other buttons... "get stuffed!" "are you fucking kidding!" "give your head a shake!" "about time someone made sense"  etc.

• Reply 7 of 29

If people think it's too cluttered, it'd be because of all the lines. I'm not sure why they're there (unless they're needed for the design or something), but here's a post without any of them.

Untitled-1.png

I made some icons have higher contrast and swapped some of the colors around to brighten the content up. If there's some HCI rule that says buttons have to be bounded, I don't remember it from my classes. That obviously doesn't preclude it being a rule, as my memory is worthless. I just figure I'd remember that.

I really like the new forums, bounded boxes or no. If nothing else, swapping some colors around would make it pop. 

• Reply 8 of 29
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

WHY is there a start new thread button IMMEDIATELY next to the reply button?  That's just a wonderful UI fail at work there. 

And the boards previously were nicely understated.  I felt physically assaulted when the circus loaded.  I can support a desire for a more vibrant news page and presence, that's a great place for working on pizzazz.  The boards should be business-like and easy on the eyes, we spend hours there at times.

• Reply 9 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

WHY is there a start new thread button IMMEDIATELY next to the reply button?  That's just a wonderful UI fail at work there. 

I know; I'm confused by that as well.

Oh, and the "Reply" button in every post. I hit it every time thinking I'm going to reply TO that post (meaning a quote) but nope.

• Reply 10 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Personally I like the idea of like, dislike buttons rather than having to hear endless amounts of horseshit replies to horseshit troll posts.

Perfection to me would be to add a few other buttons... "get stuffed!" "are you fucking kidding!" "give your head a shake!" "about time someone made sense"  etc.

Engadget had a dissolve feature when you down commented a thread. The text would get lighter and lighter until it was no longer visible. Of course, that just made me want to do a Control+A on the page to read the train wreck of a comment people were downgrading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And the boards previously were nicely understated.  I felt physically assaulted when the circus loaded.  I can support a desire for a more vibrant news page and presence, that's a great place for working on pizzazz.  The boards should be business-like and easy on the eyes, we spend hours there at times.

So far I'm liking the updated UI. My only complain is that it override's Safari's Control+Click feature for theirs which makes in possible to even do something as simpler as right-click a misspelled word with the red wiggly line below it so I can choose the properly spelled one.

• Reply 11 of 29
    grrgrr Posts: 1member

Forum link with number of replies is back now - be patient!  I'm sure it will all settle over the next day or two...

I for one quite like the new design, and being in web/software development I am all for an iterative migration policy where features are re-enabled once the powers that be know they are good to go and not before.  Quite an Apple-like policy I guess??  ;)

• Reply 12 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "The rich text editor is not compatible with your browser"

I'm on an iPad.

Anybody else getting a broken text editor when using one of Apple's most popular devices on an Apple-related site?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow this has become a complete nightmare. Opera doesn't work, Chome doesn't work, forget about using the site on a phone. Sorry for complaining as I'm sure you guys worked hard but I was wondering if there was a way to choose classic Appleinsider. I don't think I can use this new site the way it is, it takes almost 4 times the amount of clicks to do anything and that's if the clicks are even registered.

I think I'll I stick with Macrumors for a while until things can be sorted out here.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yes, just tried it, even worse then Chrome, I find Dolphin seems to be the best browser to use as of yet.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gtr wrote: »
    "The rich text editor is not compatible with your browser"

I'm on an iPad.

Anybody else getting a broken text editor when using one of Apple's most popular devices on an Apple-related site?

Mate, you should try it on an iPhone, it's hell.

I might try some manual formatting, as I get that error.

Bold

Italic
    Old school
  • Reply 16 of 29
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    They are using huddler

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/22/huddler-wants-to-turn-your-online-forum-into-a-moneymaker/

And it is idiotic to have switched before huddler had an editor that works on mobile safari.

"some backlash"? Meh. Just bog stupid. There are ios apps to make forums nicer for vbulletin and ubb but they never bothered to upgrade. Now they moved to a company with essentially zero iOS support. Brilliant.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    nht wrote: »
    They are using huddler

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/22/huddler-wants-to-turn-your-online-forum-into-a-moneymaker/

And it is idiotic to have switched before huddler had an editor that works on mobile safari.

"some backlash"? Meh. Just bog stupid. There are ios apps to make forums nicer for vbulletin and ubb but they never bothered to upgrade. Now they moved to a company with essentially zero iOS support. Brilliant.

Hmmm, Safari on my MacBook only has the "Reply" button whereas my iPhone has all the buttons (quote, multi-quote etc).

The text box on an iPhone is too wide, to make it large enough to read requires manual pinching (unpinching?) and scrolling side to side in order to read.

Double tapping makes the font very small.

Edit.

I think I've figured some of it out, to see the missing buttons, you have to unblock ads, by making them like an ad, fiendishly clever and that is where the extra revenue comes from.
  • Reply 18 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think I've figured some of it out, to see the missing buttons, you have to unblock ads, by making them like an ad, fiendishly clever and that is where the extra revenue comes from.

That's… not the case, though. Unless you have a manually stricter ad filter, that is.

I'm sort of bothered by the placement of the "New Thread" and "(in-post) Reply" buttons, but otherwise it seems pretty good.

They moved the post edit button, which takes some getting used to. And I think we should release right-click functionality. I hate websites that think they can tell me what my computer can do, you know?

• Reply 19 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's… not the case, though. Unless you have a manually stricter ad filter, that is.

I'm sort of bothered by the placement of the "New Thread" and "(in-post) Reply" buttons, but otherwise it seems pretty good.

They moved the post edit button, which takes some getting used to. And I think we should release right-click functionality. I hate websites that think they can tell me what my computer can do, you know?

Found out what is was...

...it helps to log in first.

• Reply 20 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Found out what is was...

...it helps to log in first.

Oh, I had that problem when we switched over, too. I'm like, "Wait, wh-oh, crap, they demoted me. I can't see any mod feat…oh, I'm not logged in." image