Adobe launches Creative Suite 6 with advanced 3D tools, new Creative Cloud

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Monday officially launched Creative Suite 6, its latest collection of software for design, Web and video professionals, along with the new Creative Cloud, a new subscription-based hub for making, sharing and delivering creative work.

The new Creative Suite 6 features Photoshop CS6, which sports performance and workflow enhancements, as well as advanced tools for 3D design. Adobe said the latest Photoshop addresses the unique needs of the graphic design, video, Web, architecture, medical, manufacturing, and engineering industries.

"Creativity is at the very center of our efforts ? both in developing exceptional tools, and enabling our users to create beautiful imagery that stands out from the visual clutter around us," said Winston Hendrickson, vice president products, Creative Media Solutions at Adobe. "Photoshop CS6 is unrivaled in capabilities and power and ? as we have seen from the astonishing reception of our recent public beta ? has once again captured the imagination of the worldwide creative community. ?Photoshop magic? is alive and well with CS6."

Including Photoshop, there are a total of 14 applications in CS6 and four Creative Suites: Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium, available for $1,899, Adobe Creative Suite 6 Standard Design, which is $1,299, Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium, retailing for $1,899, and Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection, sold for $2,599.

Another, new option for those interested in the latest Creative Suite is Adobe's Creative Cloud, which runs $600 per year, or $75 per month on a mont-to-month basis. Those upgrading from an earlier Creative Suite can subscribe to Creative Cloud for as low as $29.99 per month for the first year.

CS6 1

"Creatives get a ton of innovation across CS6, with milestone releases of all our flagship products," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president, Digital Media Business at Adobe. "With CS6 and Creative Cloud, we?re also introducing new products, new mobile workflows and advanced publishing capabilities that show we are laser-focused on ensuring design, Web and video pros have everything they need for the delivery of high-impact content and apps."

CS6 2

New features in CS6 highlighted by Adobe include:
  • In Photoshop CS6, designers will experience improved performance, powered by the Adobe Mercury Graphics Engine, enabling near instant results from essential editing tools, including Liquify, Puppet Warp, Transform and Lighting Effects.
  • Adobe has built on Photoshop's Content-Aware capabilities with advanced new Content-Aware Patch and Content-Aware Move features.
  • Illustrator CS6 debuts a revamped modern interface, and features include a new image tracing engine, easy pattern creation and ability to apply gradients to strokes. The Mercury Performance System delivers speed and stability, including 64-bit support for Mac OS and Windows.
  • InDesign CS6 streamlines the creation of multiple layouts from a single set of content with new Adaptive Design Tools ? Alternate Layout, Liquid Layout, Content Collector Tools and Linked Content.
  • A brand new application, Adobe Muse, enables designers to create and publish HTML5 web sites without writing code.
And Adobe also offered the following highlights for its new Creative Cloud subscription:
  • Creative Cloud membership provides users with access to download and install every new Adobe CS6 application announced today and two new HTML5 products, Adobe Muse? and Adobe Edge preview.
  • Creative Cloud integrates Adobe?s creative tablet applications, such as Photoshop Touch, into everyday work - seamlessly synchronizing and storing files in the cloud for sharing and access on any device.
  • Creative Cloud members will be able to easily deliver mobile apps to iOS and Android marketplaces and publish, manage and host websites.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud members will have access to application upgrades, including new CS point-product features, before they are launched as part of major CS updates, as well as inventive new products and services as they emerge.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud membership is US$49.99 per month, with an annual contract. A special introductory offer of US$29.99 per month for CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 individual customers is also available.
CS6 3

"The urge to be creative is universal, and harnessing the creative spark ? in everyone from school children to creative pros ? has never been more important," said Shantanu Narayen, president and chief executive officer, Adobe. "Wherever and whenever inspiration strikes, Adobe will be there to help capture, refine and publish your ideas."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

I look forward to seeing what new features appear in After Effects....

Oh, I have been using Muse (BETA) for a while now on my own site as a replacement to iWeb. Great app.

• Reply 2 of 23
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Any news on phone gap and ios 5?

btw, no quick reply in the Huddler interface?  

• Reply 3 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

btw, no quick reply in the Huddler interface?  

Right at the bottom of every page.

• Reply 4 of 23
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member

I'm holding out for CS14 -- due out in February 2013...

A.

• Reply 5 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Another, new option for those interested in the latest Creative Suite is Adobe's Creative Cloud, which runs $600 per year, or $75 per month on a mont-to-month basis. Those upgrading from an earlier Creative Suite can subscribe to Creative Cloud for as low as $29.99 per month for the first year.

The pricing isn't too bad but I think it could be a bit lower still, especially the individual app pricing as they don't include tax. They have room to adjust in future though . $50/month for the Master Collection and $20/month for just Photoshop. I'd say $10/month for individual apps or at least have a personal use vs commercial use license.

If you were to buy the Master Collection at $2599 and upgrade every 2nd year for $549, after 10 years, you'd pay:

$2599 + 4 x $549 = $4795

vs $6,000 via subscription.

Upgrading every year would be $2599 + 9 x $549 = $7540. It's fairer to compare to this given that you get free upgrades I suppose.

Subscriptions are good because you don't really notice them coming off your pay but going by the UK inclusive tax price of £47/month, $75/month, it's quite high. People do pay that for cable though and people should be earning money by using it, unlike cable.

I think they should aim to at least match the price of the 'upgrade every other year' scenario, which works out at $40/month vs $50/month for the Master Suite. For Photoshop, it would work out at $12.50/month but like I say, $10/month for each major app, Design Suite $20/month, Design&Web and Production would be $30/month.
  • Reply 6 of 23

I thought that they were effectively banning you from skipping a version from now on, as you can only upgrade from one version back, if you skip you have to pay the full purchase price, they are letting CS3/CS4 users upgrade to CS6 for a limited time only

• Reply 7 of 23

Its also going to a full version every other year, with a .5 version in between

• Reply 8 of 23
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

Not available, adobe.com says ask to be notified when available, hardly launched today has it!

• Reply 9 of 23
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I look forward to seeing what new features appear in After Effects....

Oh, I have been using Muse (BETA) for a while now on my own site as a replacement to iWeb. Great app.

I'm not a big fan of after effects. It works. I just don't like the way it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The pricing isn't too bad but I think it could be a bit lower still, especially the individual app pricing as they don't include tax. They have room to adjust in future though . $50/month for the Master Collection and $20/month for just Photoshop. I'd say $10/month for individual apps or at least have a personal use vs commercial use license.

If you were to buy the Master Collection at $2599 and upgrade every 2nd year for $549, after 10 years, you'd pay:

$2599 + 4 x $549 = $4795

vs $6,000 via subscription.

Upgrading every year would be $2599 + 9 x $549 = $7540. It's fairer to compare to this given that you get free upgrades I suppose.

Subscriptions are good because you don't really notice them coming off your pay but going by the UK inclusive tax price of £47/month, $75/month, it's quite high. People do pay that for cable though and people should be earning money by using it, unlike cable.

I think they should aim to at least match the price of the 'upgrade every other year' scenario, which works out at $40/month vs $50/month for the Master Suite. For Photoshop, it would work out at $12.50/month but like I say, $10/month for each major app, Design Suite $20/month, Design&Web and Production would be $30/month.

Adobe has never really been on an annual update model like some of the others, and up until now you could just skip a version if you didn't like the changes. I've found if I don't like something at launch, it's rarely fixed. With these you're paying at least the typical cost of upgrades on an annual basis. Before you paid that every couple years and had the freedom to skip a version if you didn't like it :). This is Adobe's way of evening out sales when they make a trash release, but it is consistent with the general trend in software. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

I thought that they were effectively banning you from skipping a version from now on, as you can only upgrade from one version back, if you skip you have to pay the full purchase price, they are letting CS3/CS4 users upgrade to CS6 for a limited time only

Adobe is an irritating company. I've skipped versions of their software before, because sometimes they suck and I'd rather use the old one. 

• Reply 10 of 23
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I find it really hard to justify spending more on software than I did on my Macbook. Adobe could get a lot more legitimate buyers if they dropped the price. Everyone I know has pirated copies of Photoshop. 

• Reply 11 of 23
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

cool, thanks.

• Reply 12 of 23

I suggest purchasing the student copy of Design Standard for $399 or Design & Web for $449.

Fortunately, my wife works for a university so I'm eligible for the student rates. And even then, I usually skip versions.

If you're not a student, I'm sure you can find one to buy it for you or put your Photoshop skills to the test ; )

And why am I not surprised that Adobe won't sell CS6 in the Mac App Store?

I wish Adobe would make their software more affordable and recoup the money lost to pirated software.

• Reply 13 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

And why am I not surprised that Adobe won't sell CS6 in the Mac App Store?

Was ANYONE really thinking they would? No way they're giving any money to Apple.

Oh, not that their applications would even be accepted, anyway. They'd be rejected because they're just terrible ports.

• Reply 14 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

Is that confirmed?

And if every other year is just a .5 release, can you at least skip that—in other words, upgrade every other year in future (assuming you get CS6 now), and still get a discounted upgrade price? Or does “one version back” include the .5 releases?

I want to make sure I do my math exactly right on this decision!

I prefer to buy every other MAJOR release, and none of the .5’s. But that option is probably not practical anymore. (I’m always horrified when using someone else’s Mac, and they have a newer version of Create Suite that I do... and some of the same bugs are still not fixed, while others have been created!)

• Reply 15 of 23

Will a single 'subscription' be valid for two machines like my purchased copy is?

I might subscribe if I can install on both of my Macs.

• Reply 16 of 23

Looks like Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS5.5 - Apple Store (U.S.) http://j.mp/I6BWDV hasn't been updated yet. 

So is Muse their, Adobe Lite, a good replacement for iWeb? Wish Apple kept iWeb…. The uncertainty about the End of MobileMe is no fun… Apple is not suggesting any particular "escape routes"... 

I'm on Dreamweaver 8 still… I have no idea what "Deliver for multiple screens" means in Dreamweaver 5.5, or 6… I'd like it to mean this: 

• Create and Edit One Site and Dreamweaver will Automatically Adjust its layout to fit Laptops of All Sizes, iPads, iPhones and all other Smartphones! 

• The Code in that One Site Page will Automatically recognize which Devices is viewing that Page and will display the Right Version of that Page to the Right Device!

• The Font Sizes will be scaled proportionately! 

• All Pages will be Automatically ready for Reader and Speak Text Functions in Safari! 

• I like how Facebook Font Sizes work on my iPhone 4S, Not Too Small, Not Too Big!  

I wish there was a designated person at some Apple Stores, at least, to demonstrate what I just described! 

I don't need All Those Suite Tools, I just need to maintain my Website as Easily as it was with Dreamweaver 8, or better yet, with a Drag and Drop Ease of iWeb! 

I won't to host it on GoDaddy and live happily ever after!!!!  

It'd be nice if there was Facebook and other "Like" Buttons available as part of Dreamweaver Templates!!! Actually, I'd like the same for this AI Forum too….

Hope someone here can answer my Dreamweaver Qs! Thanks in advance for your help! 

• Reply 17 of 23
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member

"Will a single 'subscription' be valid for two machines like my purchased copy is?"

According to the Adobe sales rep I talked to today, yes.

• Reply 18 of 23
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member

Most of the questions asked in this thread are addressed on Adobe's site. You're just a few mouse clicks away from finding those answers, straight from the horse's mouth (or website, as it were).

• Reply 19 of 23

wow! i like very much! i'll save money for this! thank you for sharing! :)

• Reply 20 of 23
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Yawn... Another incremental upgrade that focuses on Photoshop. I use shop daily, but c'mon. They haven't released anything innovative or compelling since CS2 as far as the Design Standard suite goes. The rest of the suite beyond Design Standard is about as intuitive interfase-wise as starting to learn Chinese.