Apple launches 'iPhone in Business' webpage for enterprise users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A Friday update to Apple's iPhone landing page brings a new section dedicated to enterprise customers, showcasing the handset's capabilities both in-office and out.

The "iPhone in Business" site holds five sub-sections: iPhone at Work, Integration, Apps for Business, Profiles and Resources.

Boasting a comprehensive look into how the iPhone can help a business, the new page uses both pre-installed apps like Calendar and third-party apps to illustrate how the smartphone can be used to streamline operations at a large business.

The "iPhone at Work" section highlights the numerous apps available for business organization and management, including travel planning, meeting scheduling and constant contact with colleagues. The comprehensive landing page advertises mostly third-party apps like OmniFocus and analytics tools like Roambi.

On the "Integration" page, Apple offers information regarding the iPhone's support for Microsoft Exchange, VPNs and enterprise Wi-Fi. Also advertised is the security built in to iOS and the flexibility of deploying multiple handsets to employees. The page also holds links to Apple Support documents regarding integration and enterprise-related rollouts.

"Apps for Business" shows how top business and productivity apps from the App Store can help in a variety of scenarios, complete with links to purchase the apps through iTunes.

The "Profiles" page features links to stories where the iPhone and iPad were deployed successfully and run the gamut of companies, from Dow to small businesses like Jackson Kayak.

Finally, the "Resources" page aggregates useful support articles and guides to get an enterprise started with iDevices.

iPhone for Enterprise

Apple products have been gaining traction in the large business sector led by the iPad's flexibility and popularity with regular consumers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dps098dps098 Posts: 11member

Most enterprise customer mandate hard password to access the device, and fast screen lockout preferences by policy.  I'd think a fingerprint scanner on the side or front panel + a gesture or simple passcode prudent. This makes the iPhone or any smartphone less useable otherwise.

Thoughts?

• Reply 2 of 11
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This is why they have the iPhone configuration utility. They can use it to set whatever policy they have.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nasserae wrote: »
    This is why they have the iPhone configuration utility. They can use it to set whatever policy they have.

Some of those settings can be changed by the user though once the profile is installed. We are testing ipad security at work. Apple really needs to work on this. Ipads just arent secure enough yet.
  • Reply 4 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Some of those settings can be changed by the user though once the profile is installed. We are testing ipad security at work. Apple really needs to work on this. Ipads just arent secure enough yet.

While I agree with you, I'm still amazed at how well Apple is handling the enterprise market with their iDevices. This is not the Apple I knew while Jobs was away from the company, when Apple couldn't do a thing in an organized and directed manner. This time through Apple is leading the pack in having all their ducks in a row, even though Apple isn't yet where they need to be for 100% enterprise satisfaction.

I don't see any competitor in position to challenge Apple in 2012, by 2013 Apple will have moved the stakes again on hardware and software, and I'd expect, on the enterprise market too. Watching the iDevice evolution going on at present is an exciting time to be alive, even more so they during the run up to the PC revolution in the late 1970s.

• Reply 5 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Yeah, surprisingly Apple has an open field, a massive advantage, and a amssive headstart in the enterprise field. With the demise of RIM, the fragmentation and security nightmare of Android, and the near non-existence of WIndows phone (as well as general OS immaturity) Apple is an incredible position to simply dominate this market. This seemed completely unthinkable when the iPhone launched, or even a year or 2 ago. Pretty much everything RIM bleeds is going to Apple, and I don't see a real challenger and competition for this market anytime soon. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    ...Ipads just arent secure enough yet.

Anything specific?

I wish GoodReader was a bit more capable on the security front with a PIN or more secure file compartmentalization, but for the most part you need both access to the device and to be logged into our VPN for anything really sensitive.

As for the apple website... It is disappointing in my book. A missed opportunity. Too much effort in terse statements, and not enough hands-on. They link to a million PDF files, but there is no clear message.

(Did notice the 40" Retina LCD TV reference though...)
  • Reply 7 of 11

How about starting to be really enterprise friendly, by supporting "out of office" set up of Outlook in Mail on the iPhone???

• Reply 8 of 11
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member

Let iOS support at least more than 1 apple store account. And let a company buy x amount of a certain application to distribute it among the devices. Have company iCloud storage and backups.

• Reply 9 of 11
    dps098dps098 Posts: 11member

Quote:

I wish GoodReader was a bit more capable on the security front with a PIN or more secure file compartmentalization, but for the most part you need both access to the device and to be logged into our VPN for anything really sensitive.

I wish the iOS would permit you to password protect programs at the OS level, vs. per-application.

I didn't see anyone comment about hard passwords/finger printer scanners.

• Reply 10 of 11
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

The "Profiles" page features links to stories where the iPhone and iPad were deployed successfully and run the gamut of companies, from Dow to small businesses like Jackson Kayak.

And what about the Mac in Business?  Apple current has Profiles of Mac in Creative (http://www.apple.com/pro/) and Science (http://www.apple.com/science/).  But if you go to the Business section, all it contains is marketing material.  The Business section does not even follow the same design format as the Creative and Science sections.  To make matters worse, the only profiles on the Business page are contained in links to iPad and iPhone profiles.

• Reply 11 of 11

What a information is this! As I am totally surprised to know about this information about Apple. As it's really great to know that Apple offers info regarding the iPhone's support for Microsoft Exchange, VPNs and enterprise Wi-Fi. It's really one of most valuable information about this giant.