Christo Gets To Wrap Central Park

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just read about this on Yahoo. I don't know exactly why, but I find this really irritating. Makes me want to make plans to sabotage the work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    From what I read NYC is paying for it too. I'm a little bored with they guy these days. Let's hope he doesn't kill anyone .... again.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    [quote]I just read about this on Yahoo. I don't know exactly why, but I find this really irritating. Makes me want to make plans to sabotage the work.<hr></blockquote>

What Irritates you? Have you seen any of their pieces in person? You should wait till you see it before you begin talking of sabotage. I happen like their work and am happy to see that they have a project for central park.

BTW the citys not paying for it, Christo and Jeanne-Claude always finance their own works.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Wotan:

<strong>

BTW the citys not paying for it, Christo and Jeanne-Claude always finance their own works.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah yes. I went back to the source I read this from and reviewed it. The city pays nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    i saw the one he did in colorado in the 70's. he draped a bridge over a river in a canyon, it was really, really cool. (i was 13! ahhh....)

my aunt hated it, she was a hard-core environmentalist and thought it was horrid. i think part of it blew off....some sort of problems with it, but it was cool.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Problems and Christo go hand in hand. Forget the birds and think of the woman he killed err I mean his art killed.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i noticed you said someone was killed in an earlier post.

not to make light of someone's death but at which installation (and how) did the curtain (sorry couldn't resist) come down on someone?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Yes, do tell. I dont recall hearing anything about that happening.

Although I guess thats something they would want to keep "under wraps". (sorry)

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: Wotan ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    It was the umbrellas.

<a href="http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110002843"; target="_blank">It's a Wrap</a>

Mayor Bloomberg lets Christo loose in Central Park.

BY ROGER KIMBALL

[quote]One of Christo's projects involved placing thousands of 20-foot-tall umbrellas in a picturesque spot in California. When a strong wind uprooted one and it smashed into a tourist and killed her, the artist's grief at the news was somehow woven into the artwork, absolving him, in the sophisticated precincts of elite opinion, of any taint or responsibility.<hr></blockquote>

I like art a lot but I'm just kind of bored with this guy.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>From what I read NYC is paying for it too. I'm a little bored with they guy these days. Let's hope he doesn't kill anyone .... again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

he's actually paying the city

i think 3 million dollars he is donating for parks events and funds
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    GROAN!

Those umbrellas sucked. In a way I wish the umbrella thing was going on now. I would love to see the Raider fans vandalize them as a side stop on their way to San Diego for the super bowl.

I guess few can claim that their art has killed somebody. IIRC, certain areas where Christo had those umbrellas set up were being damaged due to high winds. So volunteer teams were sent to fold some umbrellas up. Well some poor woman got blown off one of the umbrellas and died due to injuries sustained from the fall.

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: hegor ]</p>