Apple profits surge 94% on sales of 35.1M iPhones, 11.8M iPads

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced its best-ever second fiscal quarter, as the company saw its earnings rise 94 percent to $11.6 billion, or $12.30 per diluted share, on quarterly revenue of $39.19 billion.

The results compare to revenue of $24.7 billion and net profit of $6.0 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 47.4 percent compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 64 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

The Company sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 88 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 11.8 million iPads during the quarter, a 151 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 7.7 million iPods, a 15 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

"We're thrilled with sales of over 35 million iPhones and almost 12 million iPads in the March quarter," said Tim Cook, Apple?s CEO. "The new iPad is off to a great start, and across the year you're going to see a lot more of the kind of innovation that only Apple can deliver."

"Our record March quarter results drove $14 billion in cash flow from operations," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. "Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter, we expect revenue of about $34 billion and diluted earnings per share of about $8.68."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2012 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT on April 24, 2012 at apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq212, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86

Wow...awesome results.  Bravo Apple, bravo.

• Reply 2 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    And they're just getting started.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And the stock plummets three hundred points because this wasn't good enough. image

• Reply 4 of 86
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member

Idiots who sold the stock due to headline grabbing mind-controlling jitters.

Do not bet against Apple, not right now!

• Reply 5 of 86

Yowsa, Yowsa, Yowsa... Huzzah!

I knew AAPL would get back above $600 -- just didn't realize it would be from $560 and within 20 minutes....

• Reply 6 of 86
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Reply 7 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

All I can see is... DDaaaaaannnnggg!

I think China has a lot to do with this.  Credit also goes to Tim Cook for keeping the supply lines running better and getting more of the product out there.

Now bring out the Ivy Bridge products and get things moving for the next quarter!

Way to go Apple!!  While my friends were winking at me about my AAPL going down, I just laughed in their faces.  I look forward to seeing them tomorrow morning and watching them eat crow.

• Reply 8 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Haha. Here's a big **** You to all of the retards, doubters and useless analysts out there who do nothing but spread shit, nonsense and lies about Apple. 

Those who doubted the mighty Apple juggernaut have been made to look like complete morons and incompetent fools yet again.

edit - So I can't curse on this forum anymore? That is depressing. 

• Reply 9 of 86

Quote from an earlier post today:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple doesn't get over $40 billion revenue, we'll see the stock go back to $500.

Apple revenue came in at $39 billion.  The stock is over $600 in after-market trading.

Tally, you are so bad.  You should stop posting. image

• Reply 10 of 86
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

I hope all the lilly livered profit takers had their fun... Because I know this is exactly what was going to happen! :p

• Reply 11 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Apple revenue came in at $39 billion.  The stock is over $600 in after-market trading.

Tally, you are so bad.  You should stop posting.

Better give up my job as an analyst, then. Nahh, I'll just report on a something I "heard in China". That'll do the trick.

• Reply 12 of 86

AAPL will reach $700 by the end of the week.

• Reply 13 of 86

i heard many in are impressed by ip4s' camera and want to get it even though they can only work on chine mobile at edge on data. 

• Reply 14 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I hope all the lilly livered profit takers had their fun... Because I know this is exactly what was going to happen! :p

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

• Reply 15 of 86
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Good grief, look at gross margin, up 6% Y/Y to 47.6%.

• Reply 16 of 86

I think there is one important comparison that needs to be made between Apple’s earnings report and that of Microsoft’s: Apple is now a more profitable company by net income margins as well. 29.6% for Apple vs. 29.3% for MS ($11.6 billion net income on revenues of $39.2 billion vs. $5.1 billion on $17.4 billion). Heck, it seems it won’t be long before Apple’s net income catches up with Microsoft’s revenues.

Pretty amazing... A hardware company with better margins than the world's largest software company... Nice... I guess all the naysayers, pundits, trolls, and haters can crawl back into their holes now.

• Reply 17 of 86
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    What to make of the guidance? Lower than I would have thought, but might be the typical 40% low thing.

Happy to see it back closer to where it should be. I'm comfortable to around $660 for the next quarter, after which things might be a little too hot.

I do think the iPad is starting to hit a point of inflection though on increased enterprise adoption. Here's hoping for 16MM next quarter.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

My out of my *ss guessing had 60 million iphones 40 million ipads in the qtr. major disappointment.

/s

• Reply 19 of 86
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I think there is one important comparison that needs to be made between Apple’s earnings report and that of Microsoft’s: Apple is now a more profitable company by net income margins as well. 29.6% for Apple vs. 29.3% for MS ($11.6 billion net income on revenues of $39.2 billion vs. $5.1 billion on $17.4 billion). Heck, it seems it won’t be long before Apple’s net income catches up with Microsoft’s revenues.

Pretty amazing... A hardware company with better margins than the world's largest software company... Nice... I guess all the naysayers, pundits, trolls, and haters can crawl back into their holes now.

To be fair, most of Microsoft has been floundering for over a decade. Office and Windows have to support a lot of dead weight.
  • Reply 20 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

What to make of the guidance? Lower than I would have thought, but might be the typical 40% low thing.

Happy to see it back closer to where it should be. I'm comfortable to around $660 for the next quarter, after which things might be a little too hot.

I do think the iPad is starting to hit a point of inflection though on increased enterprise adoption. Here's hoping for 16MM next quarter.

I don't think you can even hope for iPad sales above 14 million until the holiday quarter.