Apple's US K12 customers snapped up two iPads for every Mac this quarter

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer noted in the company's Q2 conference call that US K-12 education customers had purchased twice as many iPads as Macs, despite also setting a new record in Mac sales for the quarter.

Oppenheimer noted that the San Diego school district purchased 10,000 iPads in the quarter, and plans to buy over 15,000 additional iPads in the June quarter for its middle and high school students.

"iPad continues to open doors for new customers with whom Apple previously had no relationship," Oppenheimer stated. "As we enter the K-12 institution buying season, we're hopeful that iPad will be a popular choice."

iPad kids
Photo credit: Keri Wiginton, St. Petersburg Times.

Oppenheimer also noted that the iPad is gaining momentum outside of the education market as well, specifically noting a project by the US Air Force to deploy thousands of iPads as electronic flight bags.

He added that other large firms, including international construction contractors Bechtel and Balfour Beatty, are "using iPads in the field for project management and viewing blueprints. And thousands of iPads are being deployed as mobile sales tools" by companies including Roche, Amgen and Bayer.

Oppenheimer also noted that IT and business managers were seeing the value of their own custom development targeting iOS devices, stating that "the majority of Fortune 500 companies who have approved iPhone on their networks are members of the iOS developer enterprise program, and are actively deploying in-house applications to their employee base."

Oppenheimer also stated that Apple's channel inventory of iPads had actually decreased in the quarter, later noting that the new iPad "is on fire, we're selling them as fast as we can make them."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

I don't have particularly anything against Apple's new iPads, but this is a complete waste of taxpayers' money.

There has been no clear study showing any positive correlation, much less causality, between technology (ie, laptops, tablets) and education. This is just money down the drain.  We gotta let go of this delusional thinking that laptops & tablets would miraculously fix the broken education system.

• Reply 2 of 9
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I don't have particularly anything against Apple's new iPads, but this is a complete waste of taxpayer's money.

There has been no study showing any correlation, much less causality, between technology (ie, laptops, tablets) and education. This is just money down the drain.  We gotta let go of this delusional thinking that laptops & tablets would miraculous fix the broken education system.

Software VS Teachers

• Reply 3 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    <p>  </p><p style="color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-family: 'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(226, 225, 225); "> I don't have particularly anything against Apple's new iPads, but this is a complete waste of taxpayers' money.</p><p style="color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-family: 'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(226, 225, 225); ">  </p><p style="color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-family: 'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(226, 225, 225); "> There has been no clear study showing any positive correlation, much less causality, between technology (ie, laptops, tablets) and education. This is just money down the drain.  We gotta let go of this delusional thinking that laptops & tablets would miraculously fix the broken education system.</p>

Being able to carry almost endless text books around with you is in of itself a break through. The cost saving in books over the time a student spends at high school will save the tax payers a fortune. What are you smoking? By the way, I am not in the profession any longer but I was and have a graduate degree in education.

Back on topic. Snatching up two iPads for every Mac isn't such a bad thing. How many iPads were snatched up instead of a PC too?
  • Reply 4 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Being able to carry almost endless text books around with you is in of itself a break through. The cost saving in books over the time a student spends at high school will save the tax payers a fortune. What are you smoking? By the way, I am not in the profession any longer but I was and have a graduate degree in education.

Back on topic. Snatching up two iPads for every Mac isn't such a bad thing. How many iPads were snatched up instead of a PC too?

Really? Are you insinuating that the education system is failing because of *heavy textbooks*?  Are you f'ing kidding me?  

What cost saving? Schools are not getting free e-textbooks or iPads - most schools would probably end up with some convoluted subscription based e-textbooks that, in the longer run, would cost more. Most textbook publishers (and your local board of ed's) aren't interested in reducing the price of digital textbooks. Just look at the college textbook market, you still have to pay 1/4 of the retail price *per semester*.

• Reply 5 of 9
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I don't have particularly anything against Apple's new iPads, but this is a complete waste of taxpayers' money.

There has been no clear study showing any positive correlation, much less causality, between technology (ie, laptops, tablets) and education. This is just money down the drain.  We gotta let go of this delusional thinking that laptops & tablets would miraculously fix the broken education system.

You are wrong. There were several studies showing that students who used iPads did better. Some of them were reported here and others in the mainstream media.

• Reply 6 of 9

My sister's a teacher in a district in Ohio that has the OPTION of using iPads, and she says that hands-down the students pay more attention and focus longer with the iPads.

Plus, the students can carry the whole school-year of books, which they like, and seem to be more responsible in holding onto the iPads than they do heavy books.

F

• Reply 7 of 9
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You are wrong. There were several studies showing that students who used iPads did better. Some of them were reported here and others in the mainstream media.

I always wonder about these surveys as schools buying iPads are usually schools with money and they typically do better than average schools even ignoring iPads v laptops v conventional text books.

• Reply 8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

My sister's a teacher in a district in Ohio that has the OPTION of using iPads, and she says that hands-down the students pay more attention and focus longer with the iPads.

Plus, the students can carry the whole school-year of books, which they like, and seem to be more responsible in holding onto the iPads than they do heavy books.

F

Do you have any quantifiable results (eg, grades) that show her students are doing better?  

thx

• Reply 9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really?  Is there any study not funded by the publishing business or Apple that supports your claim? 

There is only one randomized controlled study conducted by HMH using their FUSE program that provides data - not surprisingly funded by the namesake publishing company and Apple. Now, there are supposedly similar iPad pilot programs at 600 other institutions worldwide, so where are the results?  They all seem to claim uniformly that iPads *enhanced* students learning or students were engaged, but no measurable data to back up their claim?  Why?

Can you spell "conflict of interest" or "horse manure"?