Apple to kick off 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We haven't had new hardware at WWDC for six years, so I can't imagine there being a reason for it. Except the Mac Pro, of course. It should show up at WWDC.

From Wikipedia, new hardware introductions at WWDC during the last six years:

2010 - the iPhone 4

2009 - the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS

2006 - the Mac Pro

Well.....?

• Reply 22 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

With that banner, the Mac Pro is dead.

What does that mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

2010 - the iPhone 4

2009 - the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS

2006 - the Mac Pro

The iPhones don't count as they're just introductions, not sales. Though I'd forgotten about the MacBook family, thanks.

• Reply 23 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

I'd love to hear the thought process on that one.

• Reply 24 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Tickets for this year's WWDC can be purchased froom the official website, at developer.apple.com/wwdc. Updates and information will also be provided there.

SOLD OUT! within 90 minutes.

WWDC 2012 Sold Out!

• Reply 25 of 70

Quote:

When it's discontinued in October, future iOS updates won't be given to it. And since iOS 6 will be out in October, it's not getting iOS 6. 

I'm inclined to agree with you that that's what makes sense to happen, but for someone who gets one now; taking the cheap way out or not - seems like a crappy deal stuck in a 2 year contract with it.

• Reply 26 of 70

So if WWDC isnt for hardware, why were people expecting the iPhone 5 in the summer?

Maybe I'm missing something, are they going to do a special event just for iPhone when it comes out?

• Reply 27 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Tickets are sold out itself, but I am sure you can pitch a tent in the park.

That's nuts! I've been awake for a little over an hour and just read the news about WWDC about half an hour ago. Selling out that fast must make ever attending a WWDC very hard on people in the west...

Quote:

Why does a colourful banner mean the Mac Pro is dead?

• Reply 28 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom View Post

So if WWDC isnt for hardware, why were people expecting the iPhone 5 in the summer?

Maybe I'm missing something, are they going to do a special event just for iPhone when it comes out?

Apple has never said that WWDC isn't for hardware.  They will introduce new hardware if it suits their purpose (see my post above).  If they are not ready at WWDC time, they will have a special event when they are ready.

I doubt they will have a new iPhone 5 event before 12 months after iPhone 4s.  A new iPhone in October would be perfect for the holiday quarter.

• Reply 29 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom View Post

iPhone. Six. And no one with sense was expecting it this summer.

Yes, as they always have. It always gets some sort of event.

• Reply 30 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

iPhone. Six.

Or...introducing the New iPhone.

• Reply 31 of 70
    [I][B][U]The. New. iPhone.[/U][/B][/I]

(will not debut at WWDC)
  • Reply 32 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Or...introducing the New iPhone.

Exactly. You have to start them off with the number first, to get them on the right track.

It's amazing that people still say 'iPhone 5' after the release of the iPad…

• Reply 33 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

But 2009 and prior Apple was still participating in MacWorld so they used that event for major HW announcements.  And of course iPhone 4 was announced at WWDC 2010.  If there's a major change to their laptops (like combining the Airs and Pros) I could see them announcing it at WWDC.  Unless they plan on announcing before then and it was part of a special event.  If nothing form wise changes and it's just the internals being updated then I could see it being announced on their website only.

• Reply 34 of 70
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

That's nuts! I've been awake for a little over an hour and just read the news about WWDC about half an hour ago. Selling out that fast must make ever attending a WWDC very hard on people in the west...

That IS nuts.  Shouldn't they have let developers at least know when tickets would be going on sale?  So it's just random luck as to whether you get to attend in person?

• Reply 35 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I was looking forward to attend this WWDC but I right now I have other priorities. Jun 2013 for sure :)

• Reply 36 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

SOLD OUT! within 90 minutes.

Actually I'm a little relieved. Now I don't have to agonize over the decision.

• Reply 37 of 70

I actually called this last Tuesday. Just saying.

• Reply 38 of 70
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

iPanel.  Meaning Apple Television right?  Hmm.  I guess that works.

• Reply 39 of 70
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member

iOS 6 based on the logo.. I'm guessing a 3D interface. iCan't wait!

• Reply 40 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    The squares in the image look like iOS icon squares and they are all different sizes but rendered perfectly at all sizes. This is one thing iOS doesn't have, nor does the Mac OS - resolution independence.

Mountain Lion and iOS 6 will hopefully scale perfectly across all screen sizes to the extent that the vectorised UI elements allow.