Apple's Mac App Store reaches 10,000 applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple's official Mac App Store for OS X reportedly crossed the five-figure mark this week, as the digital storefront now has more than 10,000 applications available.

The achievement was noted on Friday by French Apple site MacGeneration, which uses its own tracking system to analyze App Store content. According to their data, the milestone was reached, although Apple has not publicly announced it.

The Mac App Store launched in early 2011 with more than 1,000 applications, including Apple's iWork suite of software. Its most high profile release to date was OS X 10.7 Lion, which launched last summer exclusively on the Mac App Store.

To date, Lion remains the most popular and highest grossing paid application available on the Mac App Store. Its successor, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, will also hit the Mac App Store this summer.

The lack of availability on Lion on a traditional disc marked a shift for Apple, which conducted a mass discontinuation of boxed retail software last July. Products no longer available in a boxed form include iWork, Aperture, and iLife.

App Store

Earlier this month, Apple also stopped offering free trials of the iWork suite and Aperture from its website. Users looking to download the trials are now directed to view the paid software on the Mac App Store.

The Mac App Store has been seen as a crucial part of Apple's strategy going forward with Mac hardware, as the company looks to remove spinning disc drives from its next generation of MacBook Pros. The new MacBook Pros, which are expected to arrive within a matter of weeks, will borrow many design elements from Apple's ultraportable MacBook Air lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32

Only 10,000? That's kind of embarrassing really...  even windows phone has about 9x that! Just shows where their priorities lie!

• Reply 2 of 32

I keep wondering what it would take for the Mac App Store to really take off.

I think that integration with the iOS counterpart would go a long way.

For example,

pull all app management out of iTunes and stick it in the Mac App Store,

and just call it "App Store" like they do on my phone.

• Reply 3 of 32

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Wake me up when it reaches a zillion.........

• Reply 4 of 32
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techmuncher View Post

Only 10,000? That's kind of embarrassing really...  even windows phone has about 9x that! Just shows where their priorities lie!

I don't get it, why would this cause embarrassment?

• Reply 5 of 32

Because it shows quite a low rate of developer interest for the platform.

• Reply 6 of 32

@techmuncher: LOL you got a brand new account for trolling it seems...good luck!  image

• Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

Because it shows quite a low rate of developer interest for the platform.

That's garbage. The Mac app store added over 10,000 applications within a year which resulted in a 100 million downloads by december 2011. 

• Reply 8 of 32

It seems anybody who doesn't post a positive response to an article in here is branded a troll! Discussion needs critical comments too... oh well.

• Reply 9 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

That's garbage. The Mac app store added over 10,000 applications within a year which resulted in a 100 million downloads by december 2011. 

That's what I mean... in comparison to other platforms 10,000 is a low number!

• Reply 10 of 32

Quote:

Name a larger, faster growing PC software store.

• Reply 11 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

The Windows 8 Store.

They have upwards of applications. 

… Plural.

• Reply 12 of 32

Quote:

Quote:

There ain't none!  Apple is always the biggest.

• Reply 13 of 32

At the moment I don't know of any other "PC" software stores...

I know of a few other platform application store's including iOS, Android and Windows Phone and in comparison to the rate of application submissions to these this is quite low... especially for a mature platform like OS X.

In reference to "PC" application stores the only other one I can think of is the Windows Store... Microsoft expects to have something like 100,000 applications available in the Windows Store at launch and it's not even released yet.

• Reply 14 of 32
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Wolfram Alpha just released desktop app today but on Windows. Why didn't they release it on MAS? I really love to use app than go to their website.

• Reply 15 of 32

LOL

Off to watch a Ryan Leaf highlight reel... later guys.

• Reply 16 of 32
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

In reference to "PC" application stores the only other one I can think of is the Windows Store... Microsoft expects to have something like 100,000 applications available in the Windows Store at launch and it's not even released yet.

You pulled the number out of your a..?

• Reply 17 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

WHat are you talking about? Obviously the dynamics for the Mac App Store is utterly and completely different than that for iOS devices, and if you can't aknowledge that than you're utterly blind. Here's another fun fact- Apple is not the one developing these applications, if you haven't heard. It's developers, and no, I don't think anyone expects this # to be anywhere close to the iOS appstore, for several very large reasons, including sales of iOS devices, average price of iOS apps, the fact that the iOS appstore is the ONLY way to legitimately get apps on an iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, the rate of which people download software on these devices, the kinds of apps that can be produced, etc. I've discovered more MAc apps since the launch of the Mac App store than I ever have on a Mac, and for that reason I think it's a great success, and the MAc playform is definitely better WITH it, than without it. I wish every application could be found there, but that's not the case, and its understandable. It's only a failure if you had irrational expectations, or if you're a troll, which is obvious by the way you comment. There's a difference between criticism and trolling, and it's obvious what you're doing. especially with that idiotic statement about priorities. 

• Reply 18 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

I know of a few other platform application store's including iOS, Android and Windows Phone and in comparison to the rate of application submissions to these this is quite low... especially for a mature platform like OS X.

You speak as if OSX is the dominant platform. 10 000 is not necessarily a terrible number. In terms of the IOS v Android or Win Phone app store the numbers are nothing but cheap bragging rights. At a certain point it becomes academic and the only thing that counts is the diversity of quality apps. I am not saying Apple beats Windows in this respect but Windows is entrenched in the corporate world and as such there are many applications that have never had much relevance on Mac. 

• Reply 19 of 32

Originally Posted by techmuncher View Post

The Windows 8 Store will only be for Metro apps, and currently has about 100 apps total.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2012/04/13/windows-8-store-with-99-metro-apps-is-it-behind-schedule/

Now I am sure this number will grow, but I doubt there will be 100,000 at launch... Metro is a pretty big switch for legacy Windows developers, it uses a new runtime for apps that is similar to SilverLight or .Net... many apps written in C++ will need extensive rework to operate in Metro.

• Reply 20 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Well, some companies have to wait until they reduce the inventory of boxed apps before they switch or they are working on the version that gets put up on the app store.  Either way, if Apple is getting momentum, that's the main focus.

Right now, app developers are spending more time on apps for the iPhone and iPad because that's where the market is going right now.  That's why there is 600,000+ apps on for those platforms.