Apple considered physical keyboard for first iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur

DrDoppio's question was valid and that wiki doesn't really answer it.

There's an assumption that you're capturing video during the majority of the time that the camera is in operation. That is, if you're at 30 fps, most people assume that the shutter is open 1/30 of a second, so anything that moves faster than that is captured as a blur. If you capture 60 fps, the shutter is open 1/60 of a second, so there is less blurring.

However, the two do not HAVE to be linked. it is possible to have the shutter open 1/100 of a second, regardless of whether you're capturing video at 30 fps, 60 fps, or even 10 fps. If the shutter speed is 1/100 of a second, then the amount of blurring in each frame will be the same, regardless of how many frames you capture per second. You will, however, have a 'choppier' video at the slower fps numbers, even though the blurring in each frame will not be changed.

However, in practice, it's a moot distinction. The shutter speed is proportional to fps, so if you have more fps, the shutter speed will almost always be shorter and you will therefore have less blurring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is absolutely no way to say that Blu-ray is not much different than DVD.

S-VHS = 159,840 px

DVD = 345,600 px (2.1x as many pixels as VHS)

BRD = 2,073,600 px 6x as many pixels as DVD, 13x as many pixels as VHS) (/INDENT]

That's a huge difference, not to mention the codec advancement over MPEG-2 in DVD. Then you add on the various types and sizes of displays used for TVs and you see a much faster and more profound trend over the 50-60 years of terrestrial broadcasts on a CRT TV.

Way to ignore my question. 

No one is denying that there are more pixies in BRD and that there will be more pixels with UHD or whatever comes after that. My point was that the differences to the viewer become smaller with each increment. S-VHS was noticeably better than broadcast TV from the 60s and 70s. DVD was noticeably better than S-VHS, but the difference wasn't quite as obvious. BRD is better than DVD, but again, the difference becomes less obvious. At some point, the differences will be invisible to the viewer. Even before that, the differences will become insignificant to the viewer.

It appears to me that we're very close to that line, maybe even already past it. To me, with a 60" 1080p TV at about 10 feet, the differences between BRD and DVD are subtle and hardly noticeable if you're simply watching the movie rather than intentionally looking for differences. Given the progressions, it seems to me that increasing the resolution further wouldn't even be noticeable to most people (with a very tiny number who view a 120" display under ideal conditions being the exception).

• Reply 62 of 81
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I'm sorry, but this isn't even close to true.

Smartphones were trending in 2 directions:

1) QWERTY style phones, with trackpads to control a cursor (kinda like how laptops work, like how BBs were designed, and how all Android prototypes till mid 2007 were designed)

2) Touchscreens which implanted a desktop style interface on the phone, and were operated with a stylus (like Windows Mobile, O2 and Nokia phones)

There was absolutely no movement towards a touchscreen phone solely designed to be used with your fingers, with a desktop class OS, with the interface, however, redesigned for a smaller, mobile device.

You only need to see the dismissive comments by existing manufacturers like RIM (who thought the iPhone demo was a sleight of hand, and that the phone was not actually possible), Palm ("PC guys are not gonna just come in"), and MS (Ballmer's many comments dismissing the iPhone). The only people who realized what a breakthrough iPhone was Google, probably because (1) they are smarter than most and (2) their CEO was on Apple's board and had advance and inside knowledge and demos of the iPhone.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that smartphones would have trended towards the iPhone design if Apple hadn't released the iPhone.

This post deserved to be repeated.

• Reply 63 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ever since switching to a keyboard phone after three iPhone thefts I 've found that touch screen plus physical keyboard works the best for me.

Which phone do you have?

• Reply 64 of 81
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I'm sorry, but this isn't even close to true.

Smartphones were trending in 2 directions:

1) QWERTY style phones, with trackpads to control a cursor (kinda like how laptops work, like how BBs were designed, and how all Android prototypes till mid 2007 were designed)

2) Touchscreens which implanted a desktop style interface on the phone, and were operated with a stylus (like Windows Mobile, O2 and Nokia phones)

There was absolutely no movement towards a touchscreen phone solely designed to be used with your fingers, with a desktop class OS, with the interface, however, redesigned for a smaller, mobile device.

You only need to see the dismissive comments by existing manufacturers like RIM (who thought the iPhone demo was a sleight of hand, and that the phone was not actually possible), Palm ("PC guys are not gonna just come in"), and MS (Ballmer's many comments dismissing the iPhone). The only people who realized what a breakthrough iPhone was Google, probably because (1) they are smarter than most and (2) their CEO was on Apple's board and had advance and inside knowledge and demos of the iPhone.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that smartphones would have trended towards the iPhone design if Apple hadn't released the iPhone.

This is interesting and, unlike much of the drivel here, mostly well argued.  But I have trouble with words like "trending towards" and statements about whether smartphones would have "trended towards" multitouch.

Also, making the distinction between stylus and fingers muddles the issue - the real technology is multitouch, not finger-touch. That was in development for years before Apple heard of Fingerworks. Without the iPhone, multitouch smartphones would still have been deployed in the mass market.  That cannot be debated, no matter how passionate one is about Apple's inventiveness, because convergence of the two technologies was inevitable and already in development. There were a number of handheld devices in research labs with multitouch built in. I do not know if anyone of them were smartphones but that's not important. The fact that Apple cannot claim total and original ownership of multitouch on smartphones cannot be more evident than in how the company has gone after competitors for IP violation. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe a single case is simply about general multitouch on a smartphone. If they have, it would not be a clear cut case either. If Apple really invented smartphone multitouch, wouldn't the IP battle be so much simpler?

But would multitouch have been deployed on mass-marketed smartphones as soon as 2007 without Apple? No.  As elegantly? Not at first.

Make no mistake, just as QWERTY keyboards would have appeared on phones without RIM, multitouch would have appeared on smartphones without Apple.  But, pointing this out should not be seen as a slight on Apple innovation. Apple's record stands tall without the need for anyone here to defend it (in part because no one here is qualified, period).  Whatever is written here does not change the fact that the iPhone is a revolutionary device.

• Reply 65 of 81
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    stelligent wrote: »
    <p> Apple's record stands tall without the need for anyone here to defend it (in part because no one here is qualified, period).  Whatever is written here does not change the fact that iPhone was a revolutionary device.</p>

Just curious, how do you know that 'no one here is qualified' ?
    And what qualification is required?

J.
  • Reply 66 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Just curious, how do you know that 'no one here is qualified' ?

And what qualification is required?

J.

The commentary speaks for the speakers.

• Reply 67 of 81
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The commentary speaks for the speakers.

Exactly. look in the mirror.  There are some very qualified folks on this board, and there are a lot of just plain interested ones who nonetheless have very good intuitions.  Just because you don't agree with someone else's analysis of the past 10 year of tech development doesn't mean much.  

And yes I mean 10 years.  2007 wasn't just a pull-it-out-the-ass-sideways year, there was a lot of run-up across the entire industry that made a device like the iPhone possible. And most of that dev was evidenced in how others were using just parts of it at a time. The magic of the iPhone was that it put far more of the available tech into the phone form factor than anyone else either dreamed of or thought possible at that point.

• Reply 68 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Exactly. look in the mirror.  There are some very qualified folks on this board, and there are a lot of just plain interested ones who nonetheless have very good intuitions. 

In any categorization, there cannot be "a lot" of "very good" people. If they are all "very good", then they are effectively ordinary or worse, which makes you wrong in your assessment. Otherwise, your bar for "very good" is really low, which makes your opinion worthless. You decide which it is.

Quote:

2007 wasn't just a pull-it-out-the-ass-sideways year, there was a lot of run-up across the entire industry that made a device like the iPhone possible. And most of that dev was evidenced in how others were using just parts of it at a time.

Effectively, this is what I said. But you summarized it better, I'd say, because it's not just about multitouch. There's perhaps hope for you, after all.

• Reply 69 of 81
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

I know you want to behave as if you're smarter than other people. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as your post assumes that the group of folks who frequent these forums are of comparable intelligence to the average person. If you actually weren't in that dreadful ordinary/worse category, you'd have been able to postulate that perhaps Hiro considers the average IQ of this forum's members to be higher than normal. If you weren't sure, you'd have appeared less foolish if you'd asked for clarification.

Glad I could explain the context of another user's post to you.

• Reply 70 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I know you want to behave as if you're smarter than other people. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as your post assumes that the group of folks who frequent these forums are of comparable intelligence to the average person.

Nope. I did not and do not have to make such an assumption. The level of intelligence here (which BTW is likely lower than you suggest but I understand why you want to believe in that fantasy) is irrelevant to the validity of my post. See if you can figure it out on your own. The fact that you incorrectly believe you've scored a logical point is informative ... about you.  It affirms one of my previous posts - the commentary herein speaks for the speaker ;)

Quote:

If you actually weren't in that dreadful ordinary/worse category, you'd have been able to postulate that perhaps Hiro considers the average IQ of this forum's members to be higher than normal.

His consideration or assumption is not relevant in my context.

Quote:

Glad I could explain the context of another user's post to you.

Thanks for trying to help but it was a fail :)  Keep trying. If you can't be terrific, you can at least be prolific.

• Reply 71 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who cares if multi touch was being worked on in some lab somewhere (even before apple bought Fingerworks). Fact is no phone brought to market utilized multi touch before the iPhone. Now all smartphones do. Just like there were tablets before the iPad but how many of them were successful?
  • Reply 72 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who cares if multi touch was being worked on in some lab somewhere (even before apple bought Fingerworks). Fact is no phone brought to market utilized multi touch before the iPhone. Now all smartphones do. Just like there were tablets before the iPad but how many of them were successful?

Chill your shorts. No one is shortchanging Apple (at least I am not). Market success is important but not the only thing worthwhile talking. If you're not interested in related discussions, can I respectfully suggest you shut up and let the adults talk?

• Reply 73 of 81

Honestly, I really hope that we don't write off the physical keyboard from phones entirely. I have a Droid 4 (as well as many other phones...), and while the iPhone's soft keyboard is fantastic, for long text I find a good physical keyboard  preferable. Even with the slide-out, for short typing (entering URLs, text messages), I used the soft keyboard - which I might add is not even in the same league as Apple's - but I really do appreciate having the mix.

I am sure that Apple could pull off a fantastic physical keyboard phone. It would be a bit uncharacteristic of them to go in that direction, I think, but I would pick up an iPhone with a slide-out keyboard in a heartbeat.

• Reply 74 of 81

Quote:

In any categorization, there cannot be "a lot" of "very good" people. If they are all "very good", then they are effectively ordinary or worse, which makes you wrong in your assessment. Otherwise, your bar for "very good" is really low, which makes your opinion worthless. You decide which it is.

Effectively, this is what I said. But you summarized it better, I'd say, because it's not just about multitouch. There's perhaps hope for you, after all.

Don't even try.  You aren't all that and a bag-o-chips  Your logic is pathetic, especially where you make baseless assumptions to try and shore up the wall of shiite you build.

I'll spell it out very slowly.  

1) YOU @stelligent, are the one who has displayed lack of experience and analytical ability. You use generalization and easy to adapt statements to claim you stated or agreed with whatever you want to later.  I didn't say or confirm what you have been writing from the first page of this thread, that's just your added personal assumption used to make you feel better at work.

2) I made no such statements about large averages,  and your understanding of the Law of Large Numbers as it juxtaposes against self selected populations is so missing that you have no clue that you just showed your intellectual bare ass trying to sound all hoighty-toighty about average people.

3) I can think of a few dozen folks I have interacted with on these boards over the past 12 years, about a half dozen are in this thread, that are FAR and away superior to the average Joe on the street with respect to tech issues.  There's self-selection at work, thoroughly contradicting your low bar can't be good people posting here position.  I don't expect you to agree with that given your heightened sense of self-worth and I don't give a rat's ass whether you do or don't.  But damned if I'll let such arrogant drivel pass without comment to inoculate innocent eyes from thinking you might be right.

• Reply 75 of 81

Quote:

Don't even try.  You aren't all that and a bag-o-chips  Your logic is pathetic, especially where you make baseless assumptions to try and shore up the wall of shiite you build.

I'll spell it out very slowly.  

1) YOU @stelligent, are the one who has displayed lack of experience and analytical ability. You use generalization and easy to adapt statements to claim you stated or agreed with whatever you want to later.  I didn't say or confirm what you have been writing from the first page of this thread, that's just your added personal assumption used to make you feel better at work.

2) I made no such statements about large averages,  and your understanding of the Law of Large Numbers as it juxtaposes against self selected populations is so missing that you have no clue that you just showed your intellectual bare ass trying to sound all hoighty-toighty about average people.

3) I can think of a few dozen folks I have interacted with on these boards over the past 12 years, about a half dozen are in this thread, that are FAR and away superior to the average Joe on the street with respect to tech issues.  There's self-selection at work, thoroughly contradicting your low bar can't be good people posting here position.  I don't expect you to agree with that given your heightened sense of self-worth and I don't give a rat's ass whether you do or don't.  But damned if I'll let such arrogant drivel pass without comment to inoculate innocent eyes from thinking you might be right.

As for "heightened sense of self-worth", that's a good thing for all of us to have, isn't it? And I'd argue you have a pretty healthy dose of it, given that you feel you are speaking up for the rabble here.

But, notwithstanding your heightened sense of self-worth, I have to be honest with you - I no longer see any logic in what you are saying. Law of large numbers does not apply here; nor did I mention it. The phrase "the Law of Large Numbers as it juxtaposes against self selected populations" does not make sense. Oh boy, your whole post is a mess ...

Sorry I rattled you so. It wasn't intentional. Calm down and read everything carefully again. I was right that you were wrong. Honestly.

• Reply 76 of 81

Quote:

I was right that you were wrong. Honestly.

QFT. That says it all.

I'll just let everyone gander up at the lack of response and self immolation the rest of that was.

• Reply 77 of 81
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

This post deserved to be repeated.

No...  no it didn't.

Just some more conformation bias to proclaim apple as the only ones capable of change.

• Reply 78 of 81
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

No, Apple did not consider this.  Some poor SOB at Apple suggested a physical keyboard, and Jobs screamed "THAT'S THE STUPIDEST FUCKING IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD!"

• Reply 79 of 81
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

No, Apple did not consider this.  Some poor SOB at Apple suggested a physical keyboard, and Jobs screamed "THAT'S THE STUPIDEST FUCKING IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD!"

Is this supposed to be sarcasm? Every company examines possible reference designs. This includes Apple. You just don't see the designs that don't make it to market or sometimes even prototyping stages. A company like Apple might go through an incredible amount of reference art before anything is physically constructed. You can argue Apple does things differently, but that doesn't mean that they follow a rigid preconceived notion of a product from start to finish. They've actually talked about remaining agile and capable of quickly changing direction. I think much of this is blown out of proportion by a rabid fan base.

• Reply 80 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Is this supposed to be sarcasm? Every company examines possible reference designs. This includes Apple. You just don't see the designs that don't make it to market or sometimes even prototyping stages. A company like Apple might go through an incredible amount of reference art before anything is physically constructed. You can argue Apple does things differently, but that doesn't mean that they follow a rigid preconceived notion of a product from start to finish. They've actually talked about remaining agile and capable of quickly changing direction. I think much of this is blown out of proportion by a rabid fan base.

I think somebody needs a history lesson regarding JYD.  He wasn't there when the screaming happened, but he slept with or got drunk with or _______ with the person who was or got screamed at...