Apple accused of sidestepping taxes, company counters by touting job creation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 224
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

Gee, maybe California should consider lowering its ridiculous tax rate instead of complaining about Nevada.

You need to consider something here. Apple is a big company, so even a small percentage is a lot of money. It wouldn't matter what percentage California charges. Apple would avoid it if possible simply because you're talking about a lot of money. All your statement indicates is that you typed the first thing that came to mind. Apple is trying to avoid taxes, so taxes must be too high, right? California does have some issues, but your solution wouldn't change anything. 

• Reply 22 of 224
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The trashy New York Slimes continues it's ridiculous jihad against Apple. Did Apple disinvite them from some event again? The New York Slimes is already guilty of running the bogus and untrue Chinese "slave labor" fables about Foxconn and Apple and here they go again, running a garbage story about Apple not paying their fair share of taxes.

Who decides what constitutes fair? Some liberal wankers at the New York Slimes? I think not. Paying as little in taxes as possible is common practice amongst virtually all large corporations. Apple is being singled out simply because they are very successful. Nobody was whining about Apple not paying their fair share of taxes and I don't recall too many people making up lies about Chinese slave labor some years ago when Apple wasn't as profitable as it is today.

The people criticizing Apple are anti-American, as they despise and loath successful individuals and companies. Apple is in full compliance with all tax laws and as long as they are, nobody has a right to dictate what tax rate Apple should pay. I also bet that the hypocritical losers that criticize Apple pay as little in taxes as they can and I also bet that they donate practically nothing to charity. If somebody has a problem with the tax laws, then get them changed, and quit whining. Nobody can blame somebody else for simply following the law.

If the New York Slimes wanted to write a decent story about people not paying their taxes, then why not write a story about all of the people who work for the current administration and for the Fed?, some of whom owes many years in unpaid back taxes. These people are tax cheats, defrauding the US government and the American people (you and me) for vast sums of money and while Apple is fully up to date with their taxes and in full compliance with the law, not paying your taxes at all, like the scumbags previously mentioned is illegal, and these people should be put behind bars.

I wouldn't even wipe my ass with the New York Slimes, as I'd probably catch some nasty liberal disease from it.

• Reply 23 of 224
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member

And instead of working on tax reform, President Obama wants to collect a few billion more from a wealthy few.

• Reply 24 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Let’s hope this is the tip of the iceberg for constant media stories revealing how corporations and the very wealthiest dodge taxes, resulting (inevitably) in a greater share of the load being borne by the rest of us.

I assume that you own Apple products since you post here. What do you think will happen if the government raises taxes on corporations? They will raise prices. That's all corporate taxation does - makes goods more expensive for consumers. 

Apple pays way too much in tax. Apple is a great company that has gotten where they are by hard work and innovation. The media should focus on how our government and Fed collude with the military-industrial complex, medical-industrial complex, and Wall St. to waste all of our tax dollars.

Apple is being used as a scape-goat for the massive debt-bomb that is blowing up the country. THEY ARE PAYING BILLIONS INTO THE SYSTEM, let's focus on those who suck trillions out of the system. Bailouts?

• Reply 25 of 224

Even if CA reduced tax rate to 4%, that is still 4% more than Nevada.  There is still no incentive for Apple to pay CA taxes.

• Reply 26 of 224
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

"Designed by Apple in California"

That mantra doesn't look so cool now.

• Reply 27 of 224
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm still waiting for the New York Times to do an analysis on GE's taxes, or the billions in back taxes that Berkshire Hathway, aka Warren Buffett are refusing to pay. Of course that's not good click bait like Apple is.
  • Reply 28 of 224
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

I love the word choice here: "sidestepping"...one poster uses the word "dodge".

While both technically correct these terms clearly have a pejorative tone.

Apple is not doing anything wrong. They are doing everything they can (and undoubtedly have a legal responsibility to do for their shareholders) to legally pay the least amount of taxes possible in order to retain as much of the money they've earned for their shareholders and/or to invest in future production and growth.

Good for them. Keep it up Apple! You have no reason to apologize.

• Reply 29 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But it could do one more good thing:  It could pay its fair share of taxes!

And who says that paying more taxes than they are legally obligated to pay is a "good" thing?

Also, perhaps you can objectively define for us the "fair share" they should pay.

• Reply 30 of 224
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cpsro wrote: »
    <p> "Designed by Apple in California"</p><p>  </p><p> That mantra doesn't look so cool now.</p><p>  </p>
    Huh? Every Apple employee that works in California (which includes the most highly compensated executives) pay taxes in California. I'm sure Apple pays a sizeable amount of property tax as well.
  • Reply 31 of 224
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by senyorapple View Post

As a stock holder I would more than a little annoyed if the Apple leadership did not take every available to maximize profits.  It goes without saying there is an expectation they will do nothing illegal or anything that will seriously damage the brand name.

A lot of larger companies do things that could get them fined or prosecuted if the IRS actually had the resources to unravel them. The IRS generally doesn't like corporate targets. Corporate audits cost a lot of money and take a lot of time, so they would have to be sure they could extract a lot of money before proceeding. Apple's biggest problem would be if they were hit with an accumulated earnings tax, but again that's unlikely as I doubt the IRS even has the resources to audit such a thing. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The trashy New York Slimes continues it's ridiculous jihad against Apple. Did Apple disinvite them from some event again? The New York Slimes is already guilty of running the bogus and untrue Chinese "slave labor" fables about Foxconn and Apple and here they go again, running a garbage story about Apple not paying their fair share of taxes.

Who decides what constitutes fair? Some liberal wankers at the New York Slimes? I think not. Paying as little in taxes as possible is common practice amongst virtually all large corporations. Apple is being singled out simply because they are very successful. Nobody was whining about Apple not paying their fair share of taxes and I don't recall too many people making up lies about Chinese slave labor some years ago when Apple wasn't as profitable as it is today.

My only issue with your post is that your opinion would flip if a similar story involved Samsung or Google.

• Reply 32 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by senyorapple View Post

As a stock holder I would more than a little annoyed if the Apple leadership did not take every available to maximize profits.

In fact they may have a legal obligation to do this for exactly the reason you point out.

• Reply 33 of 224

blah

• Reply 34 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatyouneed View Post

That's all corporate taxation does - makes goods more expensive for consumers.

+1 for someone who actually gets it!

• Reply 35 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Huh? Every Apple employee that works in California (which includes the most highly compensated executives) pay taxes in California. I'm sure Apple pays a sizeable amount of property tax as well.

"applogist" viewpoint

• Reply 36 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"Designed by Apple in California"

That mantra doesn't look so cool now.

Looks fine to me. Only I personally wish it wasn't California but some other state that doesn't hate business so much.

• Reply 37 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatyouneed View Post

That's all corporate taxation does - makes goods more expensive for consumers. 

And help pay for public education to produce future employees, roads, utilities, make up for tax incentives that were given, etc.

• Reply 38 of 224
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If only employees could have as many successful avenues for avoiding taxes as the corporations that pay them.

They do.  They take jobs in other states.

• Reply 39 of 224

Good for Apple -- no corporation pays any taxes, it is always a cost passed on to consumers in the cost of products!

No person or company should pay more taxes than they can find out how to minimize their tax burden!  Kudos for finding ways to lower strangling taxation.  Government is too big at all levels anyways, what we need is LESS government, and the only way to do that is through LOWER TAXES!!!!!

• Reply 40 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And help pay for public education to produce future employees, roads, utilities, make up for tax incentives that were given, etc.

No.

First, we're primarily talking about income taxes here.

Second, as a couple of astute posters have already pointed, corporate taxes are simply passed on the their customer. Period.

Third, many utilities are paid for directly by utility customers of which corporations are one.

Fourth, roads are typically paid for directly by gas taxes, making them essentially a usage fee which companies pay directly or indirectly anyway.

Fifth, government education is paid for by property taxes which companies pay directly or indirectly anyway

Finally, and most importantly, you assume that none of these things would be ever be possible or provided if it weren't for government and taxes. That's a fallacy.