Microsoft to invest $300M in Barnes & Noble's Nook e-book platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

New business strategy on M$ part, it appears they realize they can not do it themselves so they keep throwing money at depart companies who have no choice but take the money and hope for the best. Oh yeah, they did that with Apple and I wonder if they hoping for another success like that. Does? M$ still own any of that stock they got back in 97 or was the CFO too stupid to hang in.

• Reply 22 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No it is not against Apple nor Amazon. This is a direct blow against Google. MS is pulling Android from under Googles feet. Guess what search and cloud services will be on the Nook now?

I didn't know the Nook even offered cloud services. It's not a full-fledged Google device in the first place with no Google services that I'm aware of. It's not even compatible with Google's application market, so I don't see any harm to Google even if the Nook changed to a Microsoft OS.

• Reply 23 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    VonBrick wrote: »
    <p> I love AppleInsider but covering the above Microsoft story while apparently pretending the following MS story doesn't exist is a bit self-serving.</p><p>  </p><p> <a href="http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Wozniak-Windows-7-Phone-More-Beautiful-than-iPhone-857635/">http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Wozniak-Windows-7-Phone-More-Beautiful-than-iPhone-857635/</a></p>
    Why either story warrants placement on an Apple rumor site I don't get.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [quote] Now you will see Nooks marketed to businesses and educational markets and even in Microsoft Stores.[/quote]
    "even in Microsoft Stores"?
    Really?
    Wow. That's sure to increase sales at a blistering pace of maybe 1-2 more PER DAY!
  • Reply 25 of 56

BKS is up 69.5%  MSFT up .02%

• Reply 26 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

BKS is up 69.5%  MSFT up .02%

After a steady slide this should give BKS holders a bit of hope. (Still not worth half of what it was 6 years ago)

• Reply 27 of 56
    I'm Thinking this has to do with the education market also for digital textbooks. If they can make a $50-$100 offering vs $350 for an iPad 2, I think they'll have success. They'll just have to make it extremely durable and larger display than 6".
  • Reply 28 of 56
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I didn't know the Nook even offered cloud services. It's not a full-fledged Google device in the first place with no Google services that I'm aware of. It's not even compatible with Google's application market, so I don't see any harm to Google even if the Nook changed to a Microsoft OS.

Does it use Google search?!

MS doesn't have to change to Windows OS. They only need to keep Google out of as many Android devices as possible.

• Reply 29 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Does it use Google search?!

MS doesn't have to change to Windows OS. They only need to keep Google out of as many Android devices as possible.

I don't know that it does currently default to Google Search. My wife has one and the search function wasn't too impressive the few times I've tried it. If B&N have it set to Google Search by default then no harm in trying Bing as the Nook could use improvement in that area IMO

• Reply 30 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Pretty closed minded, no?. The e-reader market is huge, iPad isn't the answer to everything. There's plenty of people that don't want all the noise of a tablet and just a nice e-reader. I know people WITH iPads that would rather read e-ink for long stretches rather than LCD. What's next, chuckling at people who enjoy reading physical books too?

I was specifically referencing the comment that I quoted inferring they, Microsoft, were about to change everything.

• Reply 31 of 56

Time to ditch Android B&N!

Java creator James Gosling: 'Google totally slimed Sun'

Gosling said that Sun was "wronged" by Google and that Oracle is right to sue Google for the way it used Java code in Android.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57423754-94/java-creator-james-gosling-google-totally-slimed-sun/?tag=mncol;topStories

• Reply 32 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Time to ditch Android B&N!

Java creator James Gosling: 'Google totally slimed Sun'

Gosling said that Sun was "wronged" by Google and that Oracle is right to sue Google for the way it used Java code in Android.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57423754-94/java-creator-james-gosling-google-totally-slimed-sun/?tag=mncol;topStories

Thanks for link.

LOved this on the same CNET thread ...

(G)rab

(O)thers

(O)riginality

(G)arble

(L)egal

(E)ntitlement

Posted by Atari800

• Reply 33 of 56
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member

NEWCO? Are you fuggin kidding me with that? Sounds like a bankrupt insurance company from the start.

• Reply 34 of 56

• Reply 35 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why either story warrants placement on an Apple rumor site I don't get.

What don't you get? These are Apple's direct competitors in this space. Of course the coverage is relevant.

• Reply 36 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I'll have to admit, Microsoft's own .LIT format for ebooks (late 90s) was way ahead of its time, so they've been looking at ebooks for some time.  That, combined with their failed "courier" hardware, it's clear MS has had lots of mistimings and false starts with ebooks.

Buying into Nook was a no-brainer.  B&N is a strong third place competitor on the field.  Now you will see Nooks marketed to businesses and educational markets and even in Microsoft Stores.  MS-oriented IT people looking for a tablet will now consider the Nook, even better if the MCSE books are available on the platform, among other MS references.

This has potential.  Competition with Kindle and iPad and good things for everyone.

Can I have some of what premium blend you're smoking? :)

• Reply 37 of 56
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Say bye-bye to B&N's 691 brick & mortar stores.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Say bye-bye to B&N's 691 brick & mortar stores.

I hate to see book stores go as I they are some of my favorite places to go on the weekends. I think I have every O'reilly book now in my personally library. It's great that Microsoft has taken an interest in the Nook, I was really worried that B&O would stop making them. The Nook Color was my first tablet I bought, I still use it today as my main ebook reader. Yes the iPad or other larger Android tablets can also be used as a ebook reader but I think they are to big and heavy. The Nook is just perfect for reading, I'm defiantly going to grab the Glow when it is released here, the battery lasts forever on that thing, people are getting almost 3 days of use.

• Reply 39 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Can I have some of what premium blend you're smoking? :)

What do you mean, the Nook is a very good product with awesome accessories, great price, long lasting battery, huge library to choose from. Why wouldn't anyone want one.

• Reply 40 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonBrick View Post

I love AppleInsider but covering the above Microsoft story while apparently pretending the following MS story doesn't exist is a bit self-serving.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Wozniak-Windows-7-Phone-More-Beautiful-than-iPhone-857635/

Care to explain why I should care what an aging hippie who apparently never outgrew the 80s has to say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayrodo View Post

I'm Thinking this has to do with the education market also for digital textbooks. If they can make a $50-$100 offering vs $350 for an iPad 2, I think they'll have success. They'll just have to make it extremely durable and larger display than 6".

There's no way to make a competitor to the iPad 2 for $50-100. It can't be done.

You can make an e-reader in that price range. Maybe even an entry level tablet where you cut every possible corner, but please explain again why there's so much fascination about the race to the bottom.