Samsung overtakes Apple to claim smartphone market share lead

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

Each new estimate contradicts the last.

There aren't very many reasons to not disclose actual numbers. So, my guess, is that the estimates saying that Samsung didn't best Apple, are the more accurate ones. If Samsung became the #1 smartphone vender in the world, it would probably be gloating to no end. Considering that Apple has around 60% share in the USA, things would need to be very different in most countries for Samsung to beat Apple by itself.

I find it kinda funny that AppleInsider has posted this estimate as hard fact, at least going off the headline.

The reason that different people come up with different numbers was discussed in the last thread.

Different analysts define 'smartphones' differently. The analysts largely agree with how many phones (total) Samsung has sold, but the estimates of smart phones varies by 30-40%. Clearly, one analyst is counting low end 'smart phones' as smart phones and the other is not.

What it tells you is that on the high end - where Apple competes - Apple remains the clear leader.

Not that it matters, of course. I buy the phone which best suits my needs and really don't care what someone else has bought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So it does prove that Samsung has more sheep than Apple does.

Whew. What a relief.

+1

• Reply 22 of 68
    xxsamplexxxxsamplexx Posts: 28member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Let's see one of those pie charts showing which company is making the most profit.

Apple!  And where do those profits come from?  Us, via the Apple tax!

• Reply 23 of 68
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

The reason I care about sales is because I just hate seeing people use products that I view as junk. There's nothing "fanboy" about wanting others to use the products that you use, particularly when you receive the indirect benefit of greater demand for Apple and developers to create awesome apps and services.

Sorry, dude.  I was actually knocking somebody's notion of bulk being better than profit and quality...I'm just inept when it comes to the new posting procedure...so it looked like I was the one who posted the quotes when I was actually quoting somebody else.  My edited response is above...might make more sense.  : ) 

• Reply 24 of 68
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

The thing that gets me about all these figures is Google's line as to how much they make out of iOS compared to Android, when overall sales of Android devices can't be wildly dissimilar to the totals for iOS devices - yet the income generated by the two isn't comparable. 

I can only think that this means that a large number of Android phones, whilst being classed as Smartphones are not used as such!

• Reply 25 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Yawn.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    msantti wrote: »
    <p> So it does prove that Samsung has more sheep than Apple does.</p><p>  </p><p> Whew. What a relief.</p>
    Haha yes, who are the sheeple now?
  • Reply 27 of 68
    jims1973jims1973 Posts: 24member

Your headlines are shit! You mislead, misquote, misjudge, misrepresent all without guilt or conscious. You repost, reblog, regurgitate without checking facts. Do you even care what you put into the world? Or is it more about selling ad space and knowing that being the troll of tech blogs you can get page views, clicks and comments just by posting shitty content and playing with peoples passions?

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. You should strive to be better. Rediscover your integrity and sleep better at night.

I'm saddened by the fact I let it work on me. A mistake I won't make anymore!

• Reply 28 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

Your headlines are shit! You mislead, misquote, misjudge, misrepresent all without guilt or conscious. You repost, reblog, regurgitate without checking facts. Do you even care what you put into the world? Or is it more about selling ad space and knowing that being the troll of tech blogs you can get page views, clicks and comments just by posting shitty content and playing with peoples passions?

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. You should strive to be better. Rediscover your integrity and sleep better at night.

I'm saddened by the fact I let it work on me. A mistake I won't make anymore!

Meds, nurse, get the meds!!!

• Reply 29 of 68
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

Yep, you're absolutely right! I mean, it's rediculous. I walk into an Apple store, get a brand new iPhone for $200 (I'm going to pay the same monthly rate whether I buy the phone subsidized or not. That must be Apple's fault as well, right?), or I can walk into a Verizon store and buy a Razr Maxx or Galaxy Nexus for $300. So the carriers pay Apple a little bit more money than they do Android OEMs, but how does that affect me again? I am paying identical monthly fees, but $100 less upfront for, imo, a superior experience. I just wish that damn "Apple tax" didn't apply!

/s

• Reply 30 of 68
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Comparatively, former leader Nokia only shipped 35.1 million units while Apple managed 11.9 million iPhones, which accounted for market shares of 20.8 percent and 8.8 percent, respectively.

Appleinsider: You've got the Apple and Nokia numbers reversed.  Please fix this.

• Reply 31 of 68
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

IDC = ???     Come on,   if Samsung doesn't report the numbers and all other do  how is this even a story.    

AI risks becoming less relevant if they cannot report news ( or rumors) in context,  and doubly so if unable to proof

the release.    35.1 million smart-phones sold-  and certainly the leading technology no matter the number.

• Reply 32 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Absolutely wrong.

When you buy a high end phone at AT&T or any other carrier who offers a subsidy, the price is comparable. A $199 iPhone doesn't cost you any more than a $199 Android phone, so there's no Apple tax.

The difference is that Apple's manufacturing process is efficient enough (partly because they don't offer 150 models) to bring their costs down and increase their profits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

The thing that gets me about all these figures is Google's line as to how much they make out of iOS compared to Android, when overall sales of Android devices can't be wildly dissimilar to the totals for iOS devices - yet the income generated by the two isn't comparable. 

I can only think that this means that a large number of Android phones, whilst being classed as Smartphones are not used as such!

Of course. That's the point I made above. Many of the Samsung 'smart phones' appear to be marginal enough that some people call them smart phones and others do not. Only a fraction of Samsung's sales can be considered to be high end phones comparable to the iPhone.

• Reply 33 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Except they haven't. 

I'll link to my post on troll-infested MacRumors. 

Enjoy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14785202&postcount=1

• Reply 34 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell are these Samsung phones? I spot a few a week, while I literally see hundreds of iPhones a day, in a wide variety of environments. Are they selling shitloads overseas?

I never see anything except iPhones.

• Reply 35 of 68
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Different analysts define 'smartphones' differently. The analysts largely agree with how many phones (total) Samsung has sold, but the estimates of smart phones varies by 30-40%. Clearly, one analyst is counting low end 'smart phones' as smart phones and the other is not.

What it tells you is that on the high end - where Apple competes - Apple remains the clear leader.

Samsung currently sells Android phones running Eclair (that's like iOS 2.0) with QVGA 320x240 screens and calls them smartphones. They also sell Windows mobile and Windows Phone (though these are likely a fraction of their sales) and BADA. So it's easy to see how the numbers could vary depending on whether you decide to include these low-end "smartphones".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

Web traffic also indicates iOS devices are responsible for significantly more internet browsing than Android. Previously we only had this data to go on but now that Google has released income figures (during the Oracle/Google trial) we can see the estimates for web usage were probably correct since they mirror the income generated by both platforms. Just further proves your point that a lot of Android devices aren't being used as "smartphones".

• Reply 36 of 68
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Absolutely wrong.

When you buy a high end phone at AT&T or any other carrier who offers a subsidy, the price is comparable. A $199 iPhone doesn't cost you any more than a $199 Android phone, so there's no Apple tax.

The difference is that Apple's manufacturing process is efficient enough (partly because they don't offer 150 models) to bring their costs down and increase their profits.

That's not entirely true. US carriers subsidize iPhone more than they subsidize comparable Android phones. I believe we already cleared that up in this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149668/estimate-claims-apple-bested-samsung-by-3m-to-remain-top-smartphone-vendor/40

• Reply 37 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'll link to my post on troll-infested MacRumors.

Hey, you got banned, too. What for, if you don't mind my asking?

… THERE'S A MODERATOR FROM 2009?! Oh, 12,000 posts; I guess that's okay… The last slew of "moderators" I remember them hiring was the one right before my banning (not a conspiracy theorist, so I won't comment on what happened around that), and they were all no more than a year old and none had more than 1,000 posts.

It was just WRONG, is all. 

EDIT: Wow, I joined here in 2010? That's bothersome; it feels like much longer ago. Probably because I consider my time at MacRumors just an extension of being here. More like 'a slog through the crap', and now I've "retired" to a much better place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

So instead of helping them fix whatever's wrong (by telling them), you're just going to leave? You're part of the problem, then.

• Reply 38 of 68

Quote:

There's nothing "fanboy" about wanting others to use the products that you use,

LOL!

• Reply 39 of 68

Quote:

Apple doesn't care about market share.

• Reply 40 of 68
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Do you also complain about the Microsoft tax?

Toshiba Portege Z835-P330

1.3GHz Intel Core i3 2367M Processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

128GB Solid-State Hard Drive

13.3” Screen

Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics

Native Resolution: 1366x768

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

MSRP: $899.99 us.toshiba.com

Price:  $949.95 amazon.com

Asus Zenbook UX31E-DH72 

1.8 GHz Intel Core™ i7 2677M Processor 

4 GB DDR3 RAM

256 GB SATA III SSD

13.3” Screen

Native Resolution: 1,600x900

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Price:  $1384.00 amazon.com

Apple MacBook Air

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

128GB Solid-State Hard Drive

13.3” Screen

Graphics RAM: 384 MB

Native Resolution: 1440 x 900

Mac OS X Lion 

Rated Charge (normal use): 7 hours

Rated Charge (standby): 10 hours

Price:  $1209.99 amazon.com

The advantage seems to be to Toshiba given the preceding information.  This, unfortunately for Toshiba, is not the entire story however.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $109.99

Apple OS X Lion Upgrade $29.99

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 $90.88 (single installation)  amazon.com

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 $124.99 (up to three (3) computers) amazon.com

Apple Keynote $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple Numbers $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple Pages $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 for Windows $107.03 (single installation) amazon.com

Acoustica Mixcraft 5 $74.99 amazon.com

iLife is bundled free with OS X when purchasing Apple Mac computers:

Apple iPhoto ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple iMovie ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple GarageBand ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple professional creative applications don’t have a competitor for a price within reason for the average consumer:

Apple Aperture $79.99 Mac App Store

Apple LogicPro $199.99 Mac App Store

Apple Final Cut Pro X $299.99 Mac App Store

Furthermore, the costs included above do not include the cost of lost productivity due to slow computer performance due to anti-virus programs and memory leaks.