Samsung overtakes Apple to claim smartphone market share lead

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    <p> Cue</p><p>  </p><p> "but apple only has one model"</p><p>  </p><p> "but who makes all the profit" ohh too slow</p><p>  </p><p> "but but..."</p><p>  </p><p>  </p>

Samsung doesn't provide sales numbers so this is all based on some analysts' "research." iHaters have no business touting Samsung "sales" as proof Apple is doomed and should go back to their spider holes.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, you got banned, too. What for, if you don't mind my asking?

… THERE'S A MODERATOR FROM 2009?! Oh, 12,000 posts; I guess that's okay… The last slew of "moderators" I remember them hiring was the one right before my banning (not a conspiracy theorist, so I won't comment on what happened around that), and they were all no more than a year old and none had more than 1,000 posts.

It was just WRONG, is all. 

EDIT: Wow, I joined here in 2010? That's bothersome; it feels like much longer ago. Probably because I consider my time at MacRumors just an extension of being here. More like 'a slog through the crap', and now I've "retired" to a much better place.

So instead of helping them fix whatever's wrong (by telling them), you're just going to leave? You're part of the problem, then.

About MacRumors, if you don't mind me maybe speaking ill of another site on this forum: your best bet for avoiding complaints and reports is to be a consummate fence-sitter. Don't take a stand. Better yet, don't take a stand supported by facts, charts, graphs and extended commentary about them - because the danger is that that extended commentary will put some non-Apple company in a bad light. But here's the kicker: that's almost unavoidable, unless you've removed your brain from your head and put it on the table in front of you. Today's industry and market facts tend to have a strong Pro-Apple bias. It's just the way things are. This may change in the future, but not anytime soon from a product perspective. But if you draw *too much* attention to this, you'll infuriate the "lovers of all tech" (who congregate on an APPLE FAN SITE - figure *that one* out) and before you know it they've all hit the Report button collectively. 

So, the explanation for the ban was, that I was "firing up other members" (yes, those were the words given on the ban report.) As in, "firing up" members who couldn't hang with the debate. All they did was complain, whine, and run to the mods. If enough people do that, the outcome is inevitable. MacRumors has become infested with trolls. You don't see that level of skewed membership on any other Apple fan site. Simply because they'd never survive there.  

But MacRumors is what it is. As they say, every village has one. 

And I'll leave it at that. 

• Reply 43 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So, the explanation for the ban was, that I was "firing up other members" (yes, those were the words given on the ban report.)

Ha! I can beat that: "You've had enough chances to change." Whatever the frick that means!

Quote:

As in, "firing up" members who couldn't hang with the debate. All they did was complain, whine, and run to the mods. If enough people do that, the outcome is inevitable. MacRumors has become infested with trolls.

Their definition of "troll" certainly has changed since I was there… image

• Reply 44 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

Apple!  And where do those profits come from?  Us, via the Apple tax!

Do you also complain about the Microsoft tax?

Toshiba Portege Z835-P330

1.3GHz Intel Core i3 2367M Processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

128GB Solid-State Hard Drive

13.3” Screen

Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics

Native Resolution: 1366x768

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

MSRP: $899.99 us.toshiba.com

Price:  $949.95 amazon.com

Asus Zenbook UX31E-DH72 

1.8 GHz Intel Core™ i7 2677M Processor 

4 GB DDR3 RAM

256 GB SATA III SSD

13.3” Screen

Native Resolution: 1,600x900

Price:  $1384.00 amazon.com

Apple MacBook Air

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

13.3” Screen

Graphics RAM: 384 MB

Native Resolution: 1440 x 900

Mac OS X Lion 

Rated Charge (normal use): 7 hours

Rated Charge (standby): 10 hours

Price:  $1209.99 amazon.com

The advantage seems to be to Toshiba given the preceding information.  This, unfortunately for Toshiba, is not the entire story however.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $109.99

Apple OS X Lion Upgrade $29.99

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 $90.88 (single installation)  amazon.com

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 $124.99 (up to three (3) computers) amazon.com

Apple Keynote $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple Numbers $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple Pages $19.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 for Windows $107.03 (single installation) amazon.com

Acoustica Mixcraft 5 $74.99 amazon.com

iLife is bundled free with OS X when purchasing Apple Mac computers:

Apple iPhoto ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple iMovie ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple GarageBand ’11 $14.99 (up to five (5) computers) Mac App Store

Apple professional creative applications don’t have a competitor for a price within reason for the average consumer:

Apple Aperture $79.99 Mac App Store

Apple LogicPro $199.99 Mac App Store

Apple Final Cut Pro X $299.99 Mac App Store

Furthermore, the costs included above do not include the cost of lost productivity due to slow computer performance due to anti-virus programs and memory leaks.

It just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

• Reply 45 of 68
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Oh No !   I guess that means I will have to sell my iPhone and get a Samsung.

These "market surveys & stats" really get old.  Apple has sold tens of millions of iOS devices.  They won't be going away.   Samsung can sell millions of phones to third world countries and it won't put Apple out of business.

Don't care, don't care, don't care...   this is just fanboi fodder.   

How about coming up with some interesting Apple "INSIDER" info...  like when the next MacBook Pros will be released?   Or when Apple will finally add pen/stylus input to iOS?

At least we could get another Tim Cook faux sighting ?

• Reply 46 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

How about coming up with some interesting Apple "INSIDER" info...  like when the next MacBook Pros will be released?

I imagine if there's to be a case change, we'll see pictures of the new frames leaked in the coming weeks.

Or when Apple will finally add pen/stylus input to iOS?

Gonna go with 'never' on that. Tighter sensor placement for more accurate capacitive styli? Sure, but not a dedicated stylus system.

• Reply 47 of 68

Samsung doesn't release numbers...this article is pure JUNK......

• Reply 48 of 68

You know why Samsung don't publish their sales numbers?

So that nitwit anti-Apple journalists can speculate on the numbers.

• Reply 49 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple did not "cede" the top spot or the lead or first place or whatever.

"Cede" means to give up willingly. At least that's how the word is used by people who are competent in English.

You mean to say that Apple "lost" first place.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Do you also complain about the Microsoft tax?

Toshiba Portege Z835-P330

1.3GHz Intel Core i3 2367M Processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

13.3” Screen

Native Resolution: 1366x768

MSRP: $899.99 us.toshiba.com

Price:  $949.95 amazon.com

Asus Zenbook UX31E-DH72 

1.8 GHz Intel Core™ i7 2677M Processor 

4 GB DDR3 RAM

256 GB SATA III SSD

13.3” Screen

Native Resolution: 1,600x900

Price:  $1384.00 amazon.com

Apple MacBook Air

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

13.3” Screen

Graphics RAM: 384 MB

Native Resolution: 1440 x 900

Mac OS X Lion 

Rated Charge (normal use): 7 hours

Rated Charge (standby): 10 hours

Price:  $1209.99 amazon.com

In addition to the software differences you mentioned, the above comparison isn't really very fair. The Toshiba's process is much, much slower than the Mac's. The Toshiba screen is not only lower resolution but very poor quality.

• Reply 51 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

You know why Samsung don't publish their sales numbers?

So that nitwit anti-Apple journalists can speculate on the numbers.

Hehe . . . interesting point.  ;)

• Reply 52 of 68
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Think about what you wrote.  You're defending bulk over profit and quality?  Do you suppose many people are fans of Apple not because they're cows but because Apple...makes good products and deservedly dominates financially?

Samsung refers them as sheeps not cows

• Reply 53 of 68

GEEEZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are THE ONLY ONE that noticed this...

I did not catch that they had it reversed... but I knew that Apple had sold 35 million phones...

So I was thinking... WTF???????

And I would just like to point out that IF SAMSUNG SOLD MORE SMARTPHONES THAN APPLE, then Samsung would, without doubt POST THAT ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY ARE PEOPLE SOOOOOO STOOOOPID about this???????????

IF SAMSUNG BESTED APPLE IN SMARTPHONES SALES, THEY WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead, it seem Samsung is skilled at gauging tech journalist hate for apple and just "SUGGESTING" THEY DID AND LET JOURNALISTS MAKE THE CLAIM FOR THEM..... This is a great way for samsung to get into the headlines, just like they are doing, without rightly deserving it.

APPLE REPORTED IPHONES THAT ACTUALLY SOLD

SAMSUNG DID NOT.

PERIOD!

• Reply 54 of 68
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member

Quality vs quantity?

Apples vs Lychees?

• Reply 55 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

For how long has the term smartphone been used and shipment/sales been tracked?  Has Apple ever been #1 in market share in the smartphone market?  I saw a headline on Seaking Alpha today which asked if Samsung was the only worthy challenger to Apple.  Since they're apparently leading in market share isn't the better question, is Apple the only worthy challenger to Samsung?

• Reply 56 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For how long has the term smartphone been used and shipment/sales been tracked?  Has Apple ever been #1 in market share in the smartphone market?  I saw a headline on Seaking Alpha today which asked if Samsung was the only worthy challenger to Apple.  Since they're apparently leading in market share isn't the better question, is Apple the only worthy challenger to Samsung?

Yes. Apple is either #1 or #2 in the smartphone market today - depending on whose definition of 'smartphone' you use.

• Reply 57 of 68
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Actually Apple is leading smartphone manufacturer.

If Samsung was "apparently leading" wouldn't they announce such in their quarterly results?

Is "shipped" the same as "sold?"

What is the definition of "smartphone" versus "feature phone?"

If Samsung sold more smartphones wouldn't Samsung have the lion's share of profit rather than a meager 20% to Apple's 80%?

Apple Rises to the Top as Worldwide Smartphone Market Grows 65.4% in the Second Quarter of 2011, IDC Finds

FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The worldwide mobile phone market grew 65.4% year over year in the second quarter of 2011 (2Q11), marking the third consecutive quarter where total shipments exceeded 100 million units. According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, vendors shipped 106.5 million units in 2Q11 compared to 64.4 million units in the second quarter of 2010. The 65.4% growth was on par with IDC's forecast of 67.3% for the quarter and below the 84.0% year-over-year growth in 1Q11.

"There is no runaway leader in the market, which means there could easily be further Top 5 vendor changes to come."

"The smartphone market crowned a new leader in 2Q11, and its name is Apple," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC's Mobile Phone Technology and Trends team. "Ever since the first iPhone launched in 2007, Apple has made market-setting strides in hardware, software, and channel development to grab mindshare and market share. Demand has been so strong that even models that have been out for one or two years are still being sought out. With an expected refresh later this year, volumes are set to reach higher levels."

"The smartphone market leadership change signifies the parity that comes with a fast-growing market such as smartphones," said Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker. "There is no runaway leader in the market, which means there could easily be further Top 5 vendor changes to come."

• Reply 58 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

Each new estimate contradicts the last.

There aren't very many reasons to not disclose actual numbers. So, my guess, is that the estimates saying that Samsung didn't best Apple, are the more accurate ones. If Samsung became the #1 smartphone vender in the world, it would probably be gloating to no end. Considering that Apple has around 60% share in the USA, things would need to be very different in most countries for Samsung to beat Apple by itself.

I find it kinda funny that AppleInsider has posted this estimate as hard fact, at least going off the headline.

Yes. Why don't Samsung disclose actual numbers? 

As you say they would be gloating, trumpeting it from the roof tops, if their smartphones had really passed Apple.

As for IDC, where do they get their numbers? Is it from the same place where they keep forecasting that Android tablets sales are going to overtake iPads and Windows Mobile Phones are going to pass iPhones.

IDC is a gun for hire.

He who pays the Piper calls the Tune, as they say. 

• Reply 59 of 68
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member

Well, someone at another site posted up something everyone seems to have missed, and that is the reported revenue from each company vs the number of devices they sold.

Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones and gross revenue was $22.7 billion.

Average price of an iPhone sold was $647.

Samsung sold 98.3 million phones and gross revenue was $17.0 billion.

Average price of a Samsung phone is $173.

Let's say for $hits & giggles that Samsung only sold smartphones.

Samsung sold 42.2 million smartphones and gross revenue was $17.0 billion.

Average price of a Samsung smartphone is $403.

Bottom line: Samsung smartphones are not made up of GS2's or Notes. They sell a lot of cheap phones along with their high-end phones and this is reflected in the average price per device. For every $600 high-end phone Samsung would also have to sell a $200 smartphone to arrive at this avergae price. Or one $600 phone along with two $300 phones. And so on.

And as people have long suspected, smartphone sales for Samsung [B]do not[/B] mean GS2 or Note sales. They also include a lot of cheap phones.

• Reply 60 of 68
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member

LOL!

Quoting only one of my sentences and cutting it in half is classy. But even without the "particularly if" context, appreciating no compatibility problems is not something that makes a fanboy. It's easy for Windows users to share files and recommend programs to almost anybody because the high majority of people use Windows. I yearn for the day when I can send a Pages document to anybody, expecting it to be openable.