Purported next-gen iPhone SIM tray appears similar to current design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new SIM card tray claimed to be a component from Apple's next-generation iPhone has appeared for sale online, sporting subtle differences when compared with the tray found in the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

The "iPhone 5 Sim Card Tray Holder Slot" was listed this week at the parts reseller website SW-Box.com. And as noted by MacRumors, the SIM card tray has subtle differences from the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.

Specifically, the new tray has a "slight tapering of metal frame pieces," as well as "an extra metal shelf not seen in current trays." If legitimate, the part could be seen as evidence that Apple plans to redesign the next iPhone, rather than stick with the same appearance of its predecessors. But rather than implying any drastic changes, the part has only seen minor modifications.

There have been some rumors that the next iPhone will have a metal back, replacing the glass back panel that has been utilized with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. Those reports also claimed that the side of the next iPhone would be curved, but the latest component implies the side of this particular prototype handset would be flat.

The part also suggests that the next iPhone will not utilize the micro-SIM standard that Apple has proposed. A vote on the standard by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute was postponed in March after Apple and Nokia could not come to terms over the design.

SIM card

The latest part comes just over a week after pictures of a new home button claimed to be for Apple's next iPhone surfaced online. That part suggested the next iPhone's home button will look largely the same as it always had, but also gave an indication that the part will be redesigned internally.

The parts serve as further evidence that Apple is currently working on prototype models of its next-generation iPhone. In March it was said that Apple was reviewing potential components for the new iPhone, which is expected to be released this fall, one year after the iPhone 4S.

It has also been said that Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will feature Qualcomm's "MDM9615" LTE 4G chip for high-speed wireless connectivity. Reports have also claimed that the next iPhone will adopt in-cell touch panel technology, which will allow Apple to make the next iPhone thinner by 0.44 millimeters, or fit in a larger battery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Disappointed. I expected a revolutionary tray! More evidence that Apple is slipping behind the competition.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I take this with salt, but the current design does maximize battery capacity better than some tapering/curved shape. And the flat sides are nice to hold, especially for camera use.

Change is fun, though, so I kind of hope the styling does change!

(This could also be for an upcoming low-end iPhone; a slight tweak to the 4 or 4S, ready to accompany the iPhone 6.)

• Reply 3 of 15
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I take this with salt, but the current design does maximize battery capacity better than some tapering/curved shape. And the flat sides are nice to hold, especially for camera use.

Change is fun, though, so I kind of hope the styling does change!

(This could also be for an upcoming low-end iPhone; a slight tweak to the 4 or 4S, ready to accompany the iPhone 6.)

There are so many uses (and, indeed, actual apps) that utilize the iPhone's ability to be set up upon it's vertical or horizontal edge, that I find it hard to believe Apple will eliminate it's right angle edge.

Anything's possible.

• Reply 4 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Anything's possible.

It could get a kickstand! 

htc-thunderbolt-sexy-kickstand.jpg

Oh gosh, that was unexpected… the site I found this image? Called "phandroid". The name of this image? "htc-thunderbolt-sexy-kickstand.jpg". My sides…

Or maybe each iPhone could come with a specialized stand that fits its new contour? Maybe, oh, say… 

Toblerone chocolate bar.jpg

• Reply 5 of 15
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

The heck with all this !

When are we getting new Macs?

• Reply 6 of 15
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Disappointed. I expected a revolutionary tray! More evidence that Apple is slipping behind the competition.
    </sarcasm>

Exactly. The Dell Streak has two trays and a toilet paper dispenser. Why toilet paper? Because where I'm from a streak in your pants is called a sh*t stain.

Thank you, Dell.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Yawn... Snoregasm.

• Reply 8 of 15
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member

Even if it is similar, who is to say that it means the overall design has not changed?  and does it look like liquid metal?

Who's to say?  Who's to say dammit!?!  WHO'S TO SAY!!!!!

Sorry...

• Reply 9 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Exciting stuff!  Just wait till we hear about the volume buttons on the new phone.  Or maybe the headphone jack. image

• Reply 10 of 15
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Exactly...

Some part that MIGHT be for a new iPhone that is months away, but we can't get any info on new Macs that should be coming now that Intel has released Ivy Bridge chips.

Unless Apple is getting out of the Mac business, they have to have factories starting to crank out an initial inventory of new Macs.  And yet no news or rumors?

Tomorrow we will get more stories about "iPhone vs Android  market share"

• Reply 11 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

That SIM tray looks just like the revolutionary new one in the HTC One X, except it's got plastic on the end, the SIM removal tool it's supplied with is also different.

I prefer to use an Apple one to pop them.

htc-one-x-sim-tray.jpg

• Reply 12 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So the 6th gen iPhone whose internal space assignments that were likely finalized in 2011 will not have a new SIM card for a design that is still not ratified by ETSI? I'm struggling to understand the significance. It would be news if there was evidence pointing to Apple having pushed forward with a new SIM card design that carriers will be forced to adopt just for the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Exciting stuff!  Just wait till we hear about the volume buttons on the new phone.  Or maybe the headphone jack. image

Nah... If we see too many parts on sale, we'll know what the next iPhone will be.

• Reply 14 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Yeah... This old fashioned tray is really indicative of the failure of leadership at Apple... and in the world at large... (I'M KIDDING!!!)

• Reply 15 of 15
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Unless Apple is getting out of the Mac business, they have to have factories starting to crank out an initial inventory of new Macs.  And yet no news or rumors?

If apple got out of the Mac business, they would lose most of their iOS business too. Man/Woman/Kid cannot live by iOS alone. Contrary to popular belief, the Mac is the foundation to Apple's success, maybe not profits though. Unless you're a teenager who only plays iOS games and never does homework, you still need a computer, and that would be a iMac or Macbook.