Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sadly, no matter how amazing the new 6th generation phone is, if the 7th generation uses the same form factor, many in this forum will throw a huge tantrum like they did with the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rolivier wrote: »
    Absolutely, Rather a thicker iPhone with a better battery life. Don't need/want a thinner device.
    Instead of making it thinner, use the 2mm for a bigger battery.

I have enough of charging the iDevice twice a day, enough !

Enough of buying/carrying a battery pack !

If Apple wants to conquer the business world, the battery must hold at least the whole day of intensive use.

Got it ?

Anyone ?
    Bullshit!
  • Reply 23 of 105
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Sadly, no matter how amazing the new 6th generation phone is, if the 7th generation uses the same form factor, many in this forum will throw a huge tantrum like they did with the iPhone 4S.

Pathetic gripe. Maybe they'd prefer something like the "pick your own color" panels you can get on your Dell notebook.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Seem fine with me.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Longphone mock-up looks much better than the real thing... but no, this is not happening this year.

• Reply 26 of 105
    cyberzombiecyberzombie Posts: 258member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If it is any taller, it will not fit into a pocket.

If it has a new aspect ratio, then all the software will need to be rewritten.

If it has a new dock connector, then all existing accessories are obsolete.

I agree - this rumor has fail writ large. If they would've stuck to just metal back, thinner, and perhaps expanded the screen while keeping existing ratio and physical size, it would have been a reasonable rumor. Not that it would've been true, but at least hook-worthy.

• Reply 27 of 105
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total carp. I mean, what the halibut. I'm not going to waste my time dissecting why this is a bad rumor. I'm no sturgeon.

You've clearly spent too long in on the net!

• Reply 28 of 105
    jsyedinakjsyedinak Posts: 34member

I want a thinner and larger phone AND better battery life. I feel the Iphone is too heavy and the screen is too small. If I had to choose though I'd deal with the same thickness if they could greatly improve battery life.

• Reply 29 of 105

Rumor:

Next iPhone to be #145675 silver gray instead of #145676 gray-silver gray.

• Reply 30 of 105
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

I can see the logic for Apple to go to a new dock connector.

1) Smaller and more compact - allows smaller and/or thinner devices

2) Removes legacy I/Os

3) Cost reduction?

4) Additional robustness by design?

However what will be on the new dock connector? USB and analogue audio? Thunderbolt? HDMI/mDP?

And sucks to have devices using the old dock connector. I hope there is an adaptor in the box if this does turn out to be true!

• Reply 31 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Well, I see a lot of automakers that are going to have to deal with this new connector with the adapters they put in to connect the iPhone to their entertainment systems.  I wonder how easy it's going to be.

• Reply 32 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

However what will be on the new dock connector? USB and analogue audio? Thunderbolt? HDMI/mDP?

I'd hope for pins for Thunderbolt, USB, and power. Nothing else is really needed. And then they can disable the USB pins once people stop using it.

Quote:

And sucks to have devices using the old dock connector. I hope there is an adaptor in the box if this does turn out to be true!

So, "sucks" to have ANY device, then? As for an adapter, I'm not sure I want my iDevices standing even higher on a wobbly adapter while sitting in accessories.

• Reply 33 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The image does show the one way Apple can alter the display size and aspect ratio without affecting the pixel-by-pixel size of apps. Meaning, if they keep the width and pixel-per-inch the same, but make the display taller, they can effectively have current iPhone apps work within the new size. A new SDK would surely be released to allow devs to take full advantage of the new size. Apple could also make the display larger without affecting the dimensions of the physical device.

My concern is whether the same width display is the most beneficial. So long as they keep the pixel density the same and reduce the edge and back thickness they could make the display wider without affecting the current apps of thumb sweep.

I think a more plausible change would be to keep the aspect ratio and resolution the same and increase the size to 4" diagonal. Since the resolution is unchanged, very few apps (only those that rely on actual physical dimensions) would need to be changed. PPI would drop slightly, but not enough to be visible to most people.

I just can't see creating a new resolution for a phone that's only 15" larger. Too much bother for too little gain.

ETA: As zeromeus pointed out, that's a typo. I meant 15% larger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If it is any taller, it will not fit into a pocket.

Right. But a 5-7" Android device is just fine, right?

/s

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, I see a lot of automakers that are going to have to deal with this new connector with the adapters they put in to connect the iPhone to their entertainment systems.  I wonder how easy it's going to be.

Most automakers that I know use a USB cable to connect the iDevice with the entertainment system, so it wouldn't be a big deal - just a new cable. Which ones use a direct connection?

• Reply 34 of 105
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I heard that the next iphone will be spherical, covered in fur, and carried for you by your own personal pixie.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    soundvisionsoundvision Posts: 173member

Apple has already been through the changing of the dock connector once. Remember years ago when they switched from FireWire powered pins to USB? Rendered a lot of devices useless.

I still have an iPod Hi-Fi boom box and while it works beautifully, my iPhone won't charge on it.

• Reply 36 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Ugliest mock up I've seen.  Why do internet hacks with photoshop think they can represent what the new phone will look like....all based on rumors to boot.

• Reply 37 of 105
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

You've clearly spent too long in on the net!

Is this the plaice to be having a piscine discussion?  I cod carp on about how inappropriate it is on an Apple forum!!

• Reply 38 of 105
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

I call this bull on two accounts.

1. a different aspect ratio

2. a metal plate that PARTIALLY covers the back

A different aspect ration would be hell for developers.  As metal plate that partially covers the back would be like the original iPhone.  That non-metal part actually falls off after a while.  I never thought that would happen until my niece gets her hands on it.  So what the mockup shows is that the center would have a rectangular metal plate with the top and bottom being either glass, ceramic, or plastic.  I don't think this would ever happen.

Since the antennae are now on the sides of the phone, there is no need for the back to look like what it did in the original iPhone with the plastic part being the home of the antennae.  This means the entire back can be a metal plate: perhaps one made with LiquidMetal.  All they have to do is cushion the metal plate from the surrounding antennae to prevent them from making contacts.

Come to think of it, they can't even do that.  If they have a metal plate on the back with the antennae surrounding the phone, there would be a lot of interference amongst the different antennae; which is why the iPhone 4 and 4S both have a glass back instead of a metal back.  What a dilemma! Only solution here is that the "metal" plate is non conductive for it to work.

I would say the next iPhone will still have glass back with the new gorilla glass 2 and the antennae perhaps move to different places rather than the frame like it is now on the current 4 and 4S.

• Reply 39 of 105
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I just can't see creating a new resolution for a phone that's only 15" larger. Too much bother for too little gain.

A 15" (inch) increase is HUGE!  The iPad isn't even 15"

You meant to say 15mm increase...

I agree with you that the resolution can remain the same with a slight decrease in pixel density would be just fine.

• Reply 40 of 105

This sounds like the same stories we have already heard wrapped into a new package with new mockups (are they new mockups even?); where is the news?