Google Drive launches with 5GB of free cloud storage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You should spend a few minutes with Apple's Privacy Policy. Apple's clearly states they may share "non-personally identifiable" data with whoever they wish and for any reason. An example of that supposed anonymous data that may be shared for marketing/advertising purposes is information associated with a UDID. I suspect many here would not consider that non-personally identifiable.

Tim Cook went even further recently. In a March 8th letter to Congress responding to privacy concerns and questions they had ordered Mr Cook to answer:

"We do not share personally identifiable information with 3rd parties for their marketing purposes, absent consent" How does an Apple user give consent for targeted marketing by 3rd parties using personally identifiable information gathered and sold/shared by Apple from your use of their services? 

Things are not always as they seem. 

Especially not when we read one of GG's posts. So, his implication is that Apple is violating your privacy just as much as Google is. Does anyone believe that? No, I didn't think so, and it's with good reason that no one does.

But, let's, for the sake of argument, assume that Apple is an egregious privacy violator like we know Google to be. Does that somehow make it ok that Google is an egregious privacy violator. No, it doesn't.

If you value privacy -- and, if you value freedom, you must -- Google remains your worst choice for any "cloud" activity. Would it be wiser not to use cloud storage at all? Probably. But, if you have to or want to, Google simply isn't a good choice.

• Reply 22 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

https://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2374993&topic=14940&ctx=topic

Storage

Monthly Rate

25 GB

$2.49

100 GB

$4.99

200 GB

$9.99

400 GB

$19.99

1 TB

$49.99

2 TB

$99.99

4 TB

$199.99

8 TB

$399.99

16 TB

$799.99

Obviously AppleInsider did not research the real costs of Google Drive storage. They offer monthly fees beyond the initial free 5 GB.

When AI published the article, Google still had the old pricing on their website. They've since updated the page. Google does note, however, that those on the (awesomely cheap) old plan will stay on it indefinitely, as long as they keep renewing:

Quote:

Google storage plans have changed, but you can stay on your current plan as long as you:

• Keep your account active

• Keep payment information in Google Wallet accurate and up-to-date

• Don’t cancel or upgrade your current plan

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39567&p=butter_old_storage

• Reply 23 of 33
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Seriously?  As if I'd really give Google access to my filesystem?  So they can, what?, index it to sell targeted ads about my content to third parties?

Yup:

Google Drive files can end up in ads, even though you still own them (arstechnica.com)

"If a user uploads a photo and sets it as publicly viewable, that picture could end up in an ad for Google."

• Reply 24 of 33
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

For the paid options that's dramatically less expensive than Drop Box.

It still looks like SkyDrive is a better deal.

• Reply 25 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Not so according to Google. The agreement is basically a boilerplate one, similar to Microsoft's cloud agreement for instance. What's yours remains yours. Google just did a poor job of explaining what the agreement means and why it's required.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20120426/db478476-36b2-4699-824d-76f65fd8ee48

EDIT: The Verge has a very good comparison of the terms of service between SkyDrive, iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive. A good read if you're not familiar with what you agreed to for the service you've chosen to use.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2973849/google-drive-terms-privacy-data-skydrive-dropbox-icloud

• Reply 26 of 33
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not so according to Google. The agreement is basically a boilerplate one, similar to Microsoft's cloud agreement for instance. What's yours remains yours. Google just did a poor job of explaining what the agreement means and why it's required.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20120426/db478476-36b2-4699-824d-76f65fd8ee48

EDIT: The Verge has a very good comparison of the terms of service between SkyDrive, iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive. A good read if you're not familiar with what you agreed to for the service you've chosen to use.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2973849/google-drive-terms-privacy-data-skydrive-dropbox-icloud

My understanding is that Google needed to add all the legalise to allow them to perform minor tasks such as moving data from one server to another and that it is not their intention to rifle through all of your info. 

BTW anyone with a skydrive account- MS are downsizing the limits, if you have an existing account you can opt in to keep the 25gb, not sure how long the offer lasts for though...

• Reply 27 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

his implication is that Apple is violating your privacy just as much as Google is. Does anyone believe that?

You bet your ass "Apple is violating your privacy just as much as Google is"! And even more than Google if they can get away with it!

And all of those big digital corporations share your 'private' data with the acronyms on a permanent basis. You're in the US, you know! Big Brother is all over you!

You're really very naive if you think Apple is holier than thou.

• Reply 28 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlvarezLuis View Post

You bet your ass "Apple is violating your privacy just as much as Google is"! And even more than Google if they can get away with it!

In what way?

Quote:

And all of those big digital corporations share your 'private' data with the acronyms on a permanent basis.

Well, as the government can force them to, there's no real surprise here. The government has no right to data without legal justification, however.

• Reply 29 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what way?

In every way.

Quote:

Well, as the government can force them to, there's no real surprise here.

The 'surprise' here is that the government doesn't need to force them to. The big corporations bend over backwards to accommodate the acronyms' appetite for our personal data, even before they are asked. Betraying their customers trust. No subpoenas or other inconvenient, traceable paperwork necessary.

• Reply 30 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

In every way.

Yeah, thanks for expounding. I understand perfectly now.

… 

• Reply 31 of 33
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

My understanding is that Google needed to add all the legalise to allow them to perform minor tasks such as moving data from one server to another and that it is not their intention to rifle through all of your info. 

BTW anyone with a skydrive account- MS are downsizing the limits, if you have an existing account you can opt in to keep the 25gb, not sure how long the offer lasts for though...

Oh my gosh thankyou for telling me. I signed up for Skydrive pretty much the same day it was released and i had 25GB but today after reading your post I checked it and they shrunk it to 7 GB. There was a button saying if i still wanted the 25GB I had to click now. Sneaky little bastards, I wonder how many original users won'tknow they had to do that to retain their original 25GB before the deadline. It's great, I now have 25GB from Skydrive, 50GB from Box, 10GB from Dropbox, a measly 5GB from Apple and Google and unlimited storage from Asus till Nov. 2014 all for free. I defiantly recommend a Skydrive account for those who don't have one, the online version of Office is great, especially for those who need toshare their docs.

• Reply 32 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh my gosh thankyou for telling me. I signed up for Skydrive pretty much the same day it was released and i had 25GB but today after reading your post I checked it and they shrunk it to 7 GB. There was a button saying if i still wanted the 25GB I had to click now. Sneaky little bastards, I wonder how many original users won'tknow they had to do that to retain their original 25GB before the deadline. It's great, I now have 25GB from Skydrive, 50GB from Box, 10GB from Dropbox, a measly 5GB from Apple and Google and unlimited storage from Asus till Nov. 2014 all for free. I defiantly recommend a Skydrive account for those who don't have one, the online version of Office is great, especially for those who need toshare their docs.

Your collection is still incomplete. You ought to add SugarSync (5GB free) and Minus (10GB free).

But... what on earth are you going to do with all those small personal clouds?

I started out with DropBox, but 2.5GB was too small/little so I changed to Minus where I have 20GB of free online storage space now. For me that's more than enough for a virtual pendrive/USB stick that I can't lose, forget or have stolen.

• Reply 33 of 33
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Your collection is still incomplete. You ought to add SugarSync (5GB free) and Minus (10GB free).

But... what on earth are you going to do with all those small personal clouds?

I started out with DropBox, but 2.5GB was too small/little so I changed to Minus where I have 20GB of free online storage space now. For me that's more than enough for a virtual pendrive/USB stick that I can't lose, forget or have stolen.

I write a lot of programs, add code to open source projects and I need a place to share them, I mostly use them to store backup/ghost iso's for my computers. Also pictures, music, movies the normal stuff. It adds up pretty quick. The best service I signed up for was Asus Webstorage, I got one year free unlimited storage when I bought my Asus Slider, I knew they weren't going to offer unlimited storage forever so I signed a 5 year contract for only 50 bucks a year. So I paid 200 dollars for unlimited storage for 5 years, not bad if I do say so myself. Plus their service is amazing, if you upload movies in Divx or MP4 you can stream them online in Flash. It converts them on the fly. So cool....