Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung on Thursday took the wraps off its highly anticipated Galaxy S III smartphone, featuring a 1.4-gigahertz quad-core processor, 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen, and Google's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

The new flagship Android phone from Samsung will likely be a major competitor to Apple's iPhone 4S when it goes on sale later this month, as both Apple and Samsung have been dominating all other competitors in the smartphone market. In the last quarter alone, Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones, but Samsung has not revealed exactly how many smartphones it sold.

The new Galaxy S III has a quad-core 1.4-gigahertz Samsung Exynos processor with a gigabyte of RAM, which compares to the 512MB of RAM in Apple's A5 processor that powers the iPhone 4S. The latest Galaxy smartphone also offers internal capacities of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes, matching the iPhone 4S in terms of available storage.

At 4.8 inches, the Galaxy S III display is significantly larger than the 3.5-inch screen Apple has utilized on all iPhone models to date. The extra screen real estate also makes the device quite a bit bigger, at a size of 136.6 by 70.6 millimeters, compared to 115.2 by 58.6 millimeters for the iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S III is slightly thinner than the iPhone 4S, at 8.6 millimeters compared to 9.3 millimeters.

Like other Samsung smartphones, the Galaxy S III features the company's custom TouchWiz user interface, which has been overlaid on top of Google's Android 4.0.4 operating system.

Engadget spent some hands-on time with the new Galaxy S III before Tuesday's unveiling in the U.K., and said the new handset's hardware looks and feels a lot like its predecessors rather than standing out with a new design. That's led Samsung to instead emphasize new software additions to the Galaxy S III, such as new gestures for quickly launching applications.

"Once enabled in settings, you can tap and hold the screen, rotate the phone horizontally and you'll be sent to the camera app," Mat Smith said of his hands-on time with the Galaxy S III. "Using the same accelerometers, a new calling function will dial whoever's contact details you have displayed when you raise the phone to your ear."

Galaxy S III

Other new additions include "Smart Stay," which switches the front display on or off based on whether or not a face is looking at the screen, while "Smart Alert" displays any missed calls or notifications once the phone is picked up by using the built-in accelerometer.

Another new addition is "S Voice," which offers voice interactions with the Galaxy S III. Samsung has promised that users will be able to use voice commands to unlock the handset, control the music player and capture photos, but this functionality was not yet available to members of the press when the handset was demonstrated on Thursday.

The slogan for the Galaxy S III is that the handset is "designed for humans," also pushing the software aspects of the device that Samsung believes will make it easier to use and more functional.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 262
    friedlobsterfriedlobster Posts: 386member

it also comes with free Malware.

Android malware now spreading through hacked Web sites

Malware is now being targeted to Android devices via compromised Web sites, a first in the mobile world, says security firm Lookout.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57426864-83/android-malware-now-spreading-through-hacked-web-sites/

• Reply 2 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Decent hardware. Too bad the OS is so lousy.

• Reply 3 of 262

It really is a huge step for Samsung. Just wish it had the softkey buttons of the Nexus.

• Reply 4 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

it also comes with free Malware.

Android malware now spreading through hacked Web sites

Malware is now being targeted to Android devices via compromised Web sites, a first in the mobile world, says security firm Lookout.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57426864-83/android-malware-now-spreading-through-hacked-web-sites/

Read the article. If you get infected by that you deserve it. You need to knowingly accept the install and check the unknown sources button. If you just install any app on your phone even without knowing where it came from then this is a problem.  

• Reply 5 of 262
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This thing is taking a pounding at Engadget.

Nothing really special.

Over hyped.
  • Reply 6 of 262
    sandy009sandy009 Posts: 52member

ooh! samsung is really competing with apple. it's good to see them upgrading their devices each time.

• Reply 7 of 262

Last time i checked this site was still called 'Apple Insider' and not 'Samsung Insider' ?

• Reply 8 of 262
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The slogan for the Galaxy S III is that the handset is "designed for humans," 

as opposed to sheep.

• Reply 9 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The slogan for the Galaxy S III is that the handset is "designed for humans,"

So was my iPhone designed with Cheetahs in mind?

• Reply 10 of 262
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member

I'm very curious to see if four cores is useful in a phone. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know for sure. 

• Reply 11 of 262
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

My thumbs are simply not big enough.  I've tried to use 4.5 and 5 inch screens and I have sprained my thumb trying to operate the phone with one hand.  I'll watch movies on my tablet or TV. I don't need a giant phone I can't use.

• Reply 12 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Read the article. If you get infected by that you deserve it. You need to knowingly accept the install and check the unknown sources button. If you just install any app on your phone even without knowing where it came from then this is a problem.  

Please don't feed the troll.

Wow, this phone is actually good looking for a change. Previous Galaxy phones were a bit on the ugly side. Still, I prefer the HTC One X, but would be curious to see the benchmarks at Anandtech...

• Reply 13 of 262
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

It really is a huge step for Samsung. Just wish it had the softkey buttons of the Nexus.

Hugh is an understatement. Hugh as in we no longer will know if owners have a boner or the phone in their pants pocket. That's if it actually will fit in a guys pants pocket. I hope Apple doesn't start playing this screen size game. I love the iPhone but hate how big and bulky it is. I remember when phones the size of an iPhone would have been laughed at and wouldn't sell because of size. I understand that a smart phone is a different category. But I would guess most people looking for a phone will reject this 4.8" screen IMO. The Fandroids will of course brag "mine is bigger than yours." image

• Reply 14 of 262
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm very curious to see if four cores is useful in a phone. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know for sure. 

I guess that's an open question right now.  Even the latest iPad does pretty well with two CPU cores.  I also wonder how long it will be before we see phones as large as Apple's defunct Newton platform.  How much bigger before people will definitely need purses to carry their phone?

• Reply 15 of 262
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

I like the specs but the display is too large. 4.8" display? I doubt I could comfortably fit that in my pocket.

• Reply 16 of 262
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Great advise.  Treat your phone like you would a PC, always having to babysit it.  You do a disservice to those that don't want to deal with the headaches of permissions, security, etc... they just want their phone to work and not be concerned about trusting apps.

iOS App Store.  At least it's secured, and don't try spinning it.  Even Android forums are wanting some kind of curated app store too now to deal with the growing malware problem.

• Reply 17 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Hugh is an understatement. Hugh as in we no longer will know if owners have a boner in their pants pocket or the phone...

Hugh who?

• Reply 18 of 262
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

TouchWiz? No thanks. I don't think Wiz means what you think it means.

• Reply 19 of 262

Some interesting and cool features in that phone. While I have no plans to switch from iOS, it's always nice to see some innovation and fresh ideas.

• Reply 20 of 262
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Lame. It's running a horrible, cheap knockoff OS called Android and on top of that it's running the horrible Samsung TouchWiz, as if plain Android wasn't bad enough.