Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 262
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It really is a huge step for Samsung. Just wish it had the softkey buttons of the Nexus.

Hugh is an understatement. Hugh as in we no longer will know if owners have a boner or the phone in their pants pocket. That's if it actually will fit in a guys pants pocket. I hope Apple doesn't start playing this screen size game. I love the iPhone but hate how big and bulky it is. I remember when phones the size of an iPhone would have been laughed at and wouldn't sell because of size. I understand that a smart phone is a different category. But I would guess most people looking for a phone will reject this 4.8" screen IMO. The Fandroids will of course brag "mine is bigger than yours." image

I'll bet that hand model in the photo could palm a basketball like it was a grapefruit.

• Reply 22 of 262
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Great advise.  Treat your phone like you would a PC, always having to babysit it.  You do a disservice to those that don't want to deal with the headaches of permissions, security, etc... they just want their phone to work and not be concerned about trusting apps.

You don't have to babysit anything. You can only be affected by this if you've gone into settings and enabled installing apps from Unknown Sources. By default this setting is disabled, meaning apps can only be installed from Play Store, where Bouncer does a pretty good job keeping out malware.

• Reply 23 of 262
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Samsung just pulled another "Apple" on us..  bastards.

• Reply 24 of 262
    absolutedesignzabsolutedesignz Posts: 1,930member

Not impressed by this phone...HTC wowed me...(Still hate Sense) Samsung was greeted with a "meh"

I'll wait for the next Nexus...or maybe the US variations of the SIII will be better looking devices.

• Reply 25 of 262
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can see how some people prefer these the same way some people flocked to GMC Hummer but a 4.8" phone you're suppose to pocket is simply not for me, and I doubt for the majority of "humans."
  • Reply 26 of 262

from "The Verge" on the Android Army forum:

Quote:

Droid Mama says:

It’s nt that bad but it got overhyped to insane proportions. But the onex looks so frickin sexy and the s3 looks like a rehashed iphone 3gs..

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:

This phone looks like a giant feature phone...to quote that topic's OP:

Here's a couple of things that piss me off about it:

No soft keys. Are they saying it was a mistake on the Galaxy Nexus?

S - beam. What, Android beam wasn't enough? You had to create your bastardized version?

Gingerbread colors and touchwiz., gawd ICS has design priciples. Follow 'em!

Designed for humans? LOL, 4.8 inch screen.

Pentile screen. I can't notice pentile on my Nexus S, but people will get on their back for this. A LOT.

It's kinda ugly compared to the One X and Lumia 900. Also, no black? I love the monolithic look of the iPhone and black Lumia 900.

Is it still plastic?

Only thing different is the processor. Everything else is largely the same, yet they call Apple users sheep.

The flipboard thing. How come S II users can't get it? Slap in the face.

Touchwiz again.

Samsung disappointed me...HTC Wowed me...

• Reply 27 of 262
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Cool phone, but I wish Samsung would tone down the tacky, assine, eye-rollingly bad marketing rhetoric. They must have used the 'designed for humans' line a million times in the presentation, as if it was incredibly clever,  along with 'to be social is to be human'. As opposed to all the other phones designed for penguins, right? Also love all the iOS software ripoffs, but with an S instead. S cloud, etc etc.  Interesting they're gonna start their own retail stores. This industry is definitely settling into a 2 horse race, SAmsung has become quite the juggernaut. I just wish they'd refresh their phone UI, IMO thats the ugliest thing about their hardware. 

• Reply 28 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see how some people prefer these the same way some people flocked to GMC Hummer but a 4.8" phone you're suppose to pocket is simply not for me, and I doubt for te majority of "humans."

The Android camp, as far as I can tell, isn't too happy about this device period.

Thank God for choice...

I thought the SIII may change my opinion on Samsung...nope.

• Reply 29 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Cool phone, but I wish Samsung would tone down the tacky, assine, eye-rollingly bad marketing rhetoric. They must have used the 'designed for humans' line a million times in the presentation, as if it was incredibly clever,  along with 'to be social is to be human'. As opposed to all the other phones designed for penguins, right? Also love all the iOS software ripoffs, but with an S instead. S cloud, etc etc.  Interesting they're gonna start their own retail stores. This industry is definitely settling into a 2 horse race, SAmsung has become quite the juggernaut. I just wish they'd refresh their phone UI, IMO thats the ugliest thing about their hardware. 

Touchwhiz is horrendous...and tacky...people are already complaining about iOS being dated...few and far between but slowly the numbers are growing...and since Touchwhiz is without a doubt a poor blind mans rip-off of iOS....

yea.

• Reply 30 of 262
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

..or maybe the US variations of the SIII will be better looking devices.

It will still be plastic. They probably didn't really have a choice though since it is so big. If it were made out of glass and metal it would have been too heavy.

• Reply 31 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

...I just wish they'd refresh their phone UI, IMO thats the ugliest thing about their hardware. 

The UI is mostly software...

• Reply 32 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

{responding to "...I just wish they'd refresh their phone UI, IMO thats the ugliest thing about their hardware. "}

The UI is mostly software...

Yes, in theory, the UI could be updated. But given that only a tiny percentage of Android users are ever able to update the software in their phones, that's only a theoretical possibility.

• Reply 33 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see how some people prefer these the same way some people flocked to GMC Hummer but a 4.8" phone you're suppose to pocket is simply not for me, and I doubt for the majority of "humans."

6 square cm in cross-section for this phone versus 5.5 for the iPhone is hardly a noticeable difference...

• Reply 34 of 262
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It really is a huge step for Samsung. Just wish it had the softkey buttons of the Nexus.

I actually prefer the hardware home button; makes it easier to wake than hunting for a power button imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Please don't feed the troll.

Wow, this phone is actually good looking for a change. Previous Galaxy phones were a bit on the ugly side. Still, I prefer the HTC One X, but would be curious to see the benchmarks at Anandtech...

Still looks plastic-ity to me. Maybe its just the photos, but I was hoping for something more metallic or (as rumored) cermanic.

• Reply 35 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, in theory, the UI could be updated. But given that only a tiny percentage of Android users are ever able to update the software in their phones, that's only a theoretical possibility.

A theoretical possibility is all one needs. I have not heard of a single person who's unhappy with their UI but doesn't change it due to lack of ability. There are far more people that change SW for the heck of it.

• Reply 36 of 262
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

in other news, Samsung just announced the Galaxy S4.

• Reply 37 of 262
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    I'm completely satisfied with the hardware on my 4s. Apple could win the war with Siri alone, especially by version 5.0. It's hard to overstate what a big deal Siri will become.
  • Reply 38 of 262
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

Comments on The Verge are brutal. "Ugly" is common theme.  Made of plastic, uses older Pentile screen, 4.8" screen is too big, TouchWiz will be a mess.  Samsung has created an opening for HTC to get back into the game

As an Apple investor, this is gift.  The iPhone 5 is going to destroy it 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/2996780/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-specs-software-pricing ;

• Reply 39 of 262
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The Android camp, as far as I can tell, isn't too happy about this device period.

Thank God for choice...

I thought the SIII may change my opinion on Samsung...nope.

Part if it was because this phone suffered the same problem as the iPhone 4S, ie. prior to the launch, the rumor mills went batshit crazy and drove expectations to unrealistic levels.

The GS3 is an incremental hardware upgrade to the GS2 with a few new software features. Problem was people was expecting a revolutionary change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will still be plastic. They probably didn't really have a choice though since it is so big. If it were made out of glass and metal it would have been too heavy.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do plastic it seems. The HTC One X is completely plastic, and most people absolutely love the materials and the finish on it. Same for the Nokia Lumia 900. Samsung just can't seem to do plastic right.

• Reply 40 of 262
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess that's an open question right now.  Even the latest iPad does pretty well with two CPU cores.  I also wonder how long it will be before we see phones as large as Apple's defunct Newton platform.  How much bigger before people will definitely need purses to carry their phone?

I like you’re ipad comparison.  I think you are better off with 2 cores and a graphic card then 4 cores and ghetto graphics.  The new ipad has the equivalent of a PC top of the line graphic card to drive the retina display screen. This Samsung phone still has to drive full hd resolution but doesn’t have the graphic power it needs for top games.

I am all in favour of a bigger screen for the new iphone. But Samsung is overlapping the Galaxy note segment with its 4.8 screen phone, it is indeed to big for lots of folks. Since they already have the note going for 4.8” is a mistake in my opinion.  I hope the new iphone screen will be between 4.0” and 4.5” and I also hope they will keep a 3.5” phone in the future because one size doesn’t fit all.  I am sure Apple could find a way to make an UI that allows “humans” to dial a number with only 1 hand on a 4” + screen size phone.