Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 262
    So, is my hand is too small for this one?
  • Reply 42 of 262
    waldobushmanwaldobushman Posts: 774member

"Designed for Humans"?  Well, that leaves me out.

• Reply 43 of 262
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

What a hideous nightmare.

• Reply 44 of 262
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

My stomach hurts from looking at the fugly thing!

I saw a few people with those over-sized phone and I was like.. are you holding an over-sized phone or a miniature tablet?  Seriously... There's a line that needs to be drawn between having more content visible at a time and having a phone that is practical.  No more than 4" PLEASE!!!

• Reply 45 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I actually prefer the hardware home button; makes it easier to wake than hunting for a power button imo.

Still looks plastic-ity to me. Maybe its just the photos, but I was hoping for something more metallic or (as rumored) cermanic.

I also prefer the hardware buttons, and love how all HW makers are sticking it to Google.

Ceramic would have been nice, but this doesn't look too shabby either:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/162881/width/400/flags/LL

• Reply 46 of 262
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I like you’re ipad comparison.  I think you are better off with 2 cores and a graphic card then 4 cores and ghetto graphics.  The new ipad has the equivalent of a PC top of the line graphic card to drive the retina display screen. This Samsung phone still has to drive full hd resolution but doesn’t have the graphic power it needs for top games.

I am all in favour of a bigger screen for the new iphone. But Samsung is overlapping the Galaxy note segment with its 4.8 screen phone, it is indeed to big for lots of folks. Since they already have the note going for 4.8” is a mistake in my opinion.  I hope the new iphone screen will be between 4.0” and 4.5” and I also hope they will keep a 3.5” phone in the future because one size doesn’t fit all.  I am sure Apple could find a way to make an UI that allows “humans” to dial a number with only 1 hand on a 4” + screen size phone.

While the SGX543mp4 is indeed very impressive for a mobile device, its no where near the power of a GTX 690 (the current PC 'top of the line' graphics card). 

• Reply 47 of 262
    flash_beezyflash_beezy Posts: 239member
    Designed for humans...lmao...

Running a OS called Android.
  • Reply 48 of 262

I think we have to concede that the Galaxy S series have provided the iPhone with increasing competition on the hardware as Android has improved on the software.

Millions of Galaxy S users signal to Apple one thing -- there is a market for an iPhone with a larger screen.

The next iPhone should come in two sizes. I know Apple has been obsessed with minimising inventory since the day Steve brought in the four-square product lines. But let the people decide and Apple will better gauge the trend. 

It's not like the iOS is not up to it. 

~Qb

• Reply 49 of 262
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Pentile still ?! Where white backgrounds turn to checkerboards, black text turns to ladders, and each pixel is only 2/3 of a pixel, making the claimed resolution misleading! Step up, boys and girls, it’s the innovative “anti-retina” display! :p

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-has-pentile-amoled-screen-20120503/

Pentile on the left; the effect is poor at real size too.

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-screen-macro-shot-1804.jpg

• Reply 50 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Pentile still ?! Where white backgrounds turn to checkerboards, black text turns to ladders, and each pixel is only 2/3 of a pixel, making the claimed resolution misleading! Step up, boys and girls, it’s the innovative “anti-retina” display! :p

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-has-pentile-amoled-screen-20120503/

Pentile on the left; the effect is poor at real size too.

How much for the phone + microscope bundle?

• Reply 51 of 262
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Big, ugly, cheaply-made, and running Android. 

*rinse, repeat*

*rinse repeat*

*market flooding*

• Reply 52 of 262
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

While the SGX543mp4 is indeed very impressive for a mobile device, its no where near the power of a GTX 690 (the current PC 'top of the line' graphics card). 

indeed, I was just trying to compare the A5X VS the samsung 4 cores to...

a PC with an i5 dual core with a top of the line graphic card

VS

a PC with an i7 quad core running on HD3000 integraded graphic.

of course the A5X graphic engine is not a match for a PC top graphic card. sorry my previous post was not clear

• Reply 53 of 262
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Wo was the hand model, the Jolly Green Giant?

• Reply 54 of 262

Am i the only one who thinks this "new" phone looks like something with a few years of wear and tear on it? That home button has no symmetry and the off center camera and sensors make it even fuglier. I hate how samsung forces their brand on you by putting it on the face of the phone. It's bad enough the carriers do it to like every phone since the history of phones, i really don't need a reminder of who made my phone. if bought the damn phone, im pretty sure i know who made it. it adds nothing, yet it substantially subtracts from the aesthetic of the phone.

Tangent: I hope NVidia can get it's shiyit together and pump out some real competitor chips instead of just promises that aren't delivered. They're a graphics company. Why they're focusing on multicore and not graphics performance (which is all a mobile device needs anyway) is beyond me. Companies should, in my prosumer opinion, focus on the front facing camera, graphics speed, and battery life of these phones. Second to those primary concerns, they should work to compete for the living room space with extra connectivity options because Apple is about to eat their lunch with AirPlay. It's leaps and bounds further in it's adoption and development than IR, DLNA, etc.

• Reply 55 of 262

Way too big.  It will be a flop.

Watch for BOGOs on the horizon!

• Reply 56 of 262
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I'm simultaneously bored by it even while knowing it's definitely top 5 at least in Android phones. The quad A9 isn't too exciting seeing how much faster dual core Krait is. The screen is on par with the Galaxy Nexus, nothing new. Same memory and storage as before. 65% faster GPU should put it well on top of everything else on Android though in that department, just like the 2 was.

• Reply 57 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iOS App Store.  At least it's secured, and don't try spinning it.  Even Android forums are wanting some kind of curated app store too now to deal with the growing malware problem.

Amazon has a curated Amazon App Store.  It seems curious that you say they want something which has been available for a long time now.

• Reply 58 of 262
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

It's really ugly. It looks like 90% of the design choices were informed by the need to get the 4.8-inch screen within a body which is acceptably small. 

I hope that the next iPhone has a ~4-inch screen, but 4.8 inches is just too big. There's no way the average person can use a screen of that size comfortably with one hand. It might be borderline acceptable on a phone like the GS3, which is principally designed for geeks, but it's too big for the mainstream. In particular, it's too big for women to use with one hand.

• Reply 59 of 262
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Wo was the hand model, the Jolly Green Giant?

XNsAVNneIfw34hK.jpg

(R.I.P. Andre)

• Reply 60 of 262

that commercial is terrible awful