Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 81 of 262
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

I agree - but I don't think screen size is the major factor as much as phone size. Back in 2007, to make a phone that fits nicely in average hands, 3.5" was an optimal size given power, weight, resolution and bezel/assembly considerations.

Now Apple can make something almost the same overall size with a larger screen (smaller/no bezels, etc.) so why not? Customers will still like the size and the screen. The one thing that I think is at issue here is can the larger screen have a higher resolution given the iOS fixed res and ratio issues. I doubt they have a 4" 1920x1280 screen ready and just scaling up the current retina display would be a small but noticeable step back. Can they revamp iOS so that it scales more like vectors than bitmaps? 1440x960? Would be awesome but that 1.5x scaling might be problematic.

If they did scale the current retina display up to 4", holy hell would break out in the nerd ranks but it might not impact the mainstream buyers much - but the press would be all over it.

• Reply 82 of 262
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Also: RIP Muhammad (or Cassius...)

Ali is still among the living as far as I know

• Reply 83 of 262
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

When the trolls meet the Poes, comin' thro' the rye… 

• Reply 84 of 262
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Read the article.../snip

...and check the unknown sources button...

Wouldn't everyone who uses Amazon's application repository have this done?

I hear it's quite popular and is why Android is touted as being so "open" and not restricted to a "waled garden".

A lot of the cheaper Android devices made by manufacturers who don't want to be locked into Google's walled garden and so don't have their services would also fall into this category.

• Reply 85 of 262
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Great advise.  Treat your phone like you would a PC, always having to babysit it.  You do a disservice to those that don't want to deal with the headaches of permissions, security, etc... they just want their phone to work and not be concerned about trusting apps.

iOS App Store.  At least it's secured, and don't try spinning it.  Even Android forums are wanting some kind of curated app store too now to deal with the growing malware problem.

That malware threat is no danger to users who don't disable Android's default app permissions. Not unlike those who jailbreak an iPhone. If you're going to override the OS security settings then just know what you're loading whether on an iPhone or an Android-based one.

• Reply 86 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That malware threat is no danger to users who don't disable Android's default app permissions. Not unlike those who jailbreak an iPhone. If you're going to override the OS security settings then just know what you're loading whether on an iPhone or an Android-based one.

So, "Buy Android; it lets you do what Apple doesn't! But don't actually do it, because you won't be safe! It's not like anyone actually WOULD do it, anyway."

Not a very catchy motto.

• Reply 87 of 262
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

While 3.5" is good for dialing numbers it is way too small and outdated for surfing the web, watching video, and playing games.

I am sure Apple can keep the dial app small enough to fit all hand sizes. But to stay relevant they have increase screen size to 4" ideally to 4.5" without changing the form factor.

Basically they could make the entire case a big screen leaving short space for the camera and speaker. And no home button please.

• Reply 88 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

But to stay relevant they have increase screen size to 4" ideally to 4.5" without changing the form factor.

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

Quote:

And no home button please.

We always need a hardware 'out'.

• Reply 89 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The UI is easily updated by using a home replacement or launcher. The phone does not have to be rooted and most are free.

Exactly; it's simply installing an app from Google Play, or any other source you prefer.

I forget one has to explain repeatedly to Android haters just how easy it is to suit the OS to your likes and needs.

• Reply 90 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

You don't have to babysit anything. You can only be affected by this if you've gone into settings and enabled installing apps from Unknown Sources. By default this setting is disabled, meaning apps can only be installed from Play Store, where Bouncer does a pretty good job keeping out malware.

So for example the top selling Android tablet, the Amazon Fire would fall into this category, would it not?

Along with anyone else who didn't want to toe Google's line.

• Reply 91 of 262
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

So perhaps HTC will give Samsung a run for their money until the new iPhone comes out.  I'm getting a bit annoyed by all of Samsung's bravado lately so seeing the HTC One series get better reviews makes me smile.

• Reply 92 of 262
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

It depends on how many widgets you have and how often the widget updates it's info, I set mine for once every three hours.

Before I got the iPhone 4S I had an android phone.  I used a weather and news widget.  I thought I'd miss them on the 4S but I don't.  And they really were a drag on my battery.  Of course my phone was using Android 2.1 software so I'm sure improvements have been made in subsequent software releases.

• Reply 93 of 262
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Weird. I don't remember clicking a link to ANDROIDinsider
  • Reply 94 of 262
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, "Buy Android; it lets you do what Apple doesn't! But don't actually do it, because you won't be safe! It's not like anyone actually WOULD do it, anyway."

Not a very catchy motto.

Yeah, but with the right music. . .

• Reply 95 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

"It's so much alike, we couldn't tell the difference. We apologize for the inconvenience." image

That Siri knockoff, though… I imagine Tim's reconsidering his thoughts on settling.

• Reply 96 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Indeed.

You can see it like this: the next iPhone has almost half a year before launch. Until then, Apple's actions have close to zero effect on the sales of their most popular product. It won't get any better, newer, faster, or larger before October, no matter how many speculation threads we see. The only factor that is going to affect the sales of the iPhone is how good the competition is. Samsung is Apple's major competitor, and the Galaxy S III its flagship product. That's why we are having this discussion.

• Reply 97 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

/snip ...its no where near the power of a GTX 690 (the current PC 'top of the line' graphics card). 

One of which costs more than a top of the range "overpriced" iPad or the same as an "overpriced" MacBook Air.

• Reply 98 of 262
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    charlituna wrote: »

I do not mind hearing about the high end of the android market as it does 'compete' with the iPhone. In this case there will be some people interested, mostly people who care more about specs then usability. More is better! A phone that is too big for the pocket and has a crummy screen. Who cares so long as each 'comparison' spec is better.

80% of the people I know use iPhones, the rest use old blackberrys and high end Androids. This phone is for the latter, they will love it.

I bet there are users who can discharge the battery in this thing within an hour.
  • Reply 99 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

...Apple is about to eat their lunch with AirPlay. It's leaps and bounds further in it's adoption and development than IR, DLNA, etc.

Something like AllShare Cast dongle, perhaps?

• Reply 100 of 262
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

This is quickly going to be thing of the past unless Apples improves the screen. 

Quote:

We always need a hardware 'out'.

Then put that freaking hardware 'out' on the edge along with volume and power buttons! Don't spoil the priceless real estate.