Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 101 of 262
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

This is quickly going to be thing of the past unless Apples improves the screen. 

Well, they've had three years to prove it wrong.

They failed.

Quote:

Then put that freaking hardware 'out' on the edge along with volume and power buttons! Don't spoil the priceless real estate.

Right, where it will be hit ALL THE TIME by accident.

• Reply 102 of 262
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    the next iPhone has almost half a year before launch. Until then, Apple's actions have close to zero effect on the sales of their most popular product. It won't get any better, newer, faster, or larger before October, no matter how many speculation threads we see.

Actually, an iOS update does exactly that, making it better, introducing new features, and frequently making it faster. And, unlike many Android devices, gets updated frequently.

It won't get larger but, seeing that they got the size right the first time, it doesn't need to.
  • Reply 103 of 262
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Amazon has a curated Amazon App Store.  It seems curious that you say they want something which has been available for a long time now.

So how does one go about accessing this Amazon repository?

Would it require "Allow other sources" to be selected in settings, thus rendering the device vulnerable to drive-by downloads?

• Reply 104 of 262
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The new ipad has the equivalent of a PC top of the line graphic card to drive the retina display screen. 

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you wrote this?

• Reply 105 of 262
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    pmz wrote: »
    What a hideous nightmare.
    it does look hideous...agreed.
  • Reply 106 of 262
    lilroot9lilroot9 Posts: 17member
    Android appeals to "techy-windows people" and iPhone to almost everyone else.

When an android releases a phone, it's "all specs" (numbers).

When apple releases a phone it's new features (nice software updates, new apps, Siri, ect.) which attract non-techy people or people that does normally ever use computers.
  • Reply 107 of 262

I'm amazed that this thread is so long.  AI doesn't usually carry this sort of story.  Maybe they should routinely cover notable products from competitors?  It seems that lots of people are interested.

• Reply 108 of 262
    mikeleemikelee Posts: 16member

We should start a samsung boycott movement. 

They kidnap workers who try to organize a union in their factories and deny that workers who got lukemia from being exposed to chemicals in their semiconductor fabs that the illnesses are work related.  

Here is the link.

http://stopsamsung.wordpress.com/

• Reply 109 of 262
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

I am the average american male height of 5' 10".

I find the iPhone fits nicely in my front pants pocket without being too large.  The screen is very readable.  I don't want to carry anything larger.

If I did I would bring an iPad.

Or I guess I could get some baggy pants...  that hang down and show my underwear. 

• Reply 110 of 262
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Samsung's AMOLED display could be 48". Skin tones will still look horrid. Everything looks like a comic book.

• Reply 111 of 262
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, they've had three years to prove it wrong.

They failed.

Right, where it will be hit ALL THE TIME by accident.

Actually, I hit the current Home button frequently by accident. I am less likely to hit it if it were moved to the top edge.

• Reply 112 of 262
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So for example the top selling Android tablet, the Amazon Fire would fall into this category, would it not?

Along with anyone else who didn't want to toe Google's line.

No, the Fire is not affected by this. By default, the Fire only allows apps from the Amazon App Store to be installed. That setting can be changed. So unless the user has been changing security settings, they're not affected, just like stock Android.

• Reply 113 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Actually, an iOS update does exactly that, making it better, introducing new features, and frequently making it faster.

No significant increase in iPhone sales will happen solely due to iOS upgrades. And, making it faster? That's not what I've been hearing... 

And, unlike many Android devices, gets updated frequently.

My Android phone gets auto-updated daily.

It won't get larger but, seeing that they got the size right the first time, it doesn't need to.

The claim was that there is no way to effect change, not that the current specs aren't desirable.

• Reply 114 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Exactly; it's simply installing an app from Google Play, or any other source you prefer.

I forget one has to explain repeatedly to Android haters just how easy it is to suit the OS to your likes and needs.

I see. So your point is that purchasers shouldn't worry about the crappy UI because they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Gotcha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

And that's the bottom line. When even the tech sites that generally favor Android are panning the phone, it's not much of a threat to the iPhone.

• Reply 115 of 262
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

I'm with you. 4.5 in.? I have a calculator at 4.1/4 in and have to hold it with my fingers. How many drops will it take you think. And my women friends again have small hands.

• Reply 116 of 262
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Do you have any evidence that third-party launchers in the Play Store are malware? Or is this the usual baseless sneering that characterizes AI's comment thread? Honestly, the 'Android = malware' schtick is really getting old. Virtually all malware is found outside of the Google Play Store and the Amazon App Store, which are the two largest stores. On rare occasion, something minor sneaks past Bouncer, and it's removed as soon as it's found.

• Reply 117 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see. So your point is that purchasers shouldn't worry about the crappy UI because they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Gotcha.

I'm not sure you realize how ridiculous your generalization is. First, we were talking about the ease of changing the UI, not about whether everyone likes or not the vendor-supplied one. Second, apps are usually well supported by their creators. Third, can you provide any evidence of malware in a launcher currently on Google play? If not, you may consider cutting down on the FUD.

• Reply 118 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

This thing is taking a pounding at Engadget.

Nothing really special.

Over hyped.

Did they bother to check that "face dialing" and the Press, hold and twist to launch macro camera accidentally features?

Samsung really has pulled out all the stops to find non-obvious ways to bring up things you didn't intend to. I've got a Blackberry, and I discovered that not only the screen is "touch screen" but a little track pad opposite the screen is awesome for accidentally putting the cursor in the wrong place and clicking the mute button when I move the phone to my face.

I think the Upgrade will remove all these features.

• Reply 119 of 262
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

indeed, I was just trying to compare the A5X VS the samsung 4 cores to...

a PC with an i5 dual core with a top of the line graphic card

VS

a PC with an i7 quad core running on HD3000 integraded graphic.

of course the A5X graphic engine is not a match for a PC top graphic card. sorry my previous post was not clear

I see your point, however, I think your concerns may be a bit premature:

46302.png

46304.png

Quote:

While we don't know the clocks of the Mali-400/MP4 GPU in the SGS3, it's obviously significantly quicker than its predecessor. Similar to what we saw when the Galaxy S II launched, Samsung once again takes the crown for fastest smartphone GPU in our performance tests. 

The onscreen GLBenchmark Egypt and Pro results are understandably v-sync limited, but if you look at how much headroom is available thanks to the faster GPU it's clear that the Galaxy S III should be able to handle newer, more complex games, better than its predecessor.

What's particularly insane is that Samsung is able to deliver better performance than the iPhone 4S, the previous king-of-the-GPU-hill in these tests.

I'll be interested to see how the battery life for this phone is. Tegra 3 is able to get very good battery life with its use of a 5th, low power 'companion core.' Exynos doesn't have this, so I would like to see how it compares.

• Reply 120 of 262
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    majjo wrote: »
    I see your point, however, I think your concerns may be a bit

I'll be interested to see how the battery life for this phone is. Tegra 3 is able to get very good battery life with its use of a 5th, low power 'companion core.' Exynos doesn't have this, so I would like to see how it compares.

Well this is good news, if the 4s is that close in performance then the A5X is going to leave that thing in the dust.